What's new

Boar brush denser than the 1305

Hi all.
Been a badger guy for years thinking there would be nothing softer.
Recently I thought I would take on a 'project' of breaking in a boar and seeing what it was like.
So I purchased a 1305 and a sacrificial puck of MWF thinking this experiment would help me to get better at lathering the fat as well.
I read that 30 latherings is whats required so I soaked the 1305 in cold water for 24 hours, lathered with MWF, and then dried for 24 hrs. This process I repeated twice more and then set about lathering and drying for a total of 30 times making sure the brush was fully dry each day.
Toward the end of this process I scanned the brush for any thick and scratchy bristles that werent going to split and cut them down at the base.
The result is........... Wow! A really soft luxurious feeling boar brush!!
Makes dense lather quickly and I'm surpised at the lack of scritch.
So this has been a great experiment and well worth the time and effort.

One negative for me is that the knot feels 'thin' compared my dense badgers and the brush only produces enough lather for two passes.
My current favourite brush is a 22 X 52 WB high mountain which is moderately dense and easily produces three passes worth of lather.

So please recommend a denser boar that can produce three passes of lather that matches the softness of the 1305.

Thanks- Michael.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Semogue_20brushes.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_f0Yuh.jpeg
For boar brushes it takes time for it to hold and release a ton of lather. In the beginning it will 'eat' your lather. So just wait awhile before spending money again.

If you do want a new boar, the 830 is the same as your 1305 but with more hair packed in it.

It was an LE brush, but if you can find a Cerda on the secondary market that will give you more density and slightly lower loft than the 1305 (which should give a more dense feel as well).

If you like the knot size, the Omega 11126 is what you are after: denser and better backbone.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Semogue brushes all have nice handles unlike the cheaper Omega models, but that is where I find their advantage ends, the knot is what counts. Semogue brushes are just floppy, at least too floppy to my liking, and I have gave them a chance SOC (sold), 620, 1305, 830 and 1800. The 1305 I think is the best of the bunch.
A Proraso Pro (short lofted Omega Pro) or Omega 011829 are really the best boar brushes IMO.

Spending time reading that Semogue hair grade chart and trying to extrapolate how a certain pig hair combo would feel is a waste of time, to which I admit, just to realize how futile it was.

A Proraso Pro (short lofted Omega Pro) or Omega 011829 are really the best boar brushes IMO.

I agree on that. My Proraso broken in brush is really fantastic for me. I bought a premium boar brush, a Mondial just to prove that Proraso is simply a fantastic brush.

If I prove this, I will get 2 more Proraso boar brushes. :)

If you like the knot size, the Omega 11126 is what you are after: denser and better backbone.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Semogue brushes all have nice handles unlike the cheaper Omega models, but that is where I find their advantage ends, the knot is what counts. Semogue brushes are just floppy, at least too floppy to my liking, and I have gave them a chance SOC (sold), 620, 1305, 830 and 1800. The 1305 I think is the best of the bunch.

Spending time reading that Semogue hair grade chart and trying to extrapolate how a certain pig hair combo would feel is a waste of time, to which I admit, just to realize how futile it was.
The semogue handle looks like it survived a firefight in Baghdad.

Hi all.
Been a badger guy for years thinking there would be nothing softer.
Recently I thought I would take on a 'project' of breaking in a boar and seeing what it was like.
So I purchased a 1305 and a sacrificial puck of MWF thinking this experiment would help me to get better at lathering the fat as well.
I read that 30 latherings is whats required so I soaked the 1305 in cold water for 24 hours, lathered with MWF, and then dried for 24 hrs. This process I repeated twice more and then set about lathering and drying for a total of 30 times making sure the brush was fully dry each day.
Toward the end of this process I scanned the brush for any thick and scratchy bristles that werent going to split and cut them down at the base.
The result is........... Wow! A really soft luxurious feeling boar brush!!
Makes dense lather quickly and I'm surpised at the lack of scritch.
So this has been a great experiment and well worth the time and effort.

One negative for me is that the knot feels 'thin' compared my dense badgers and the brush only produces enough lather for two passes.
My current favourite brush is a 22 X 52 WB high mountain which is moderately dense and easily produces three passes worth of lather.

So please recommend a denser boar that can produce three passes of lather that matches the softness of the 1305.

Thanks- Michael.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

Hi,

I would not advise giving one a haircut; avoid the trimming. It will soften. :)

The 830 is an option. However, a SOC is probably a better choice. And you can go with mixed hair or all boar. You can select resin, ash, or cherry handles.

Enjoy!

Keeping a lightly wrapped rubber band will help maintain the back bone of the 1305. I use this for the PIF by the @Macfrommichigan .

It might surprise many, but I have gotten good quality lathers from the 1305 right out of the box. Yes there is some splaying, but it still exfoliates and feels like a charm. After it dries I use the loose rubber band.

The semogue handle looks like it survived a firefight in Baghdad.
Mine is even worse. The painted handle on the 1305 gouges pretty easily if you're rough with it, as I have been. Still a great brush, would be my favorite if it didn't take so long to dry completely, especially in humid weather.

Mine is even worse. The painted handle on the 1305 gouges pretty easily if you're rough with it, as I have been. Still a great brush, would be my favorite if it didn't take so long to dry completely, especially in humid weather.
Yeah that's why I'm sticking to omega. And I always hear people complain about lack of backbone in semogue.

A Semogue TSN LE is the best boar brush you can buy. The bristles they use are second to none and better than all the rest. It is a little pricey but worth every penny. I was never a big boar brush fan until I got this one. It is the best I ever used and I also own the Thater boar which cost a lot more. The Semogue LE is the best. It has a 24mm knot with a 53mm loft. Only at BullGoose shaving.

Semogue LE brush.JPG

A Semogue TSN LE is the best boar brush you can buy. The bristles they use are second to none and better than all the rest. It is a little pricey but worth every penny. I was never a big boar brush fan until I got this one. It is the best I ever used and I also own the Thater boar which cost a lot more. The Semogue LE is the best. It has a 24mm knot with a 53mm loft. Only at BullGoose shaving.

View attachment 918046
I saw this on vintage scent but the price...... I feel it's too much to pay for a boar.

Does it have good backbone?

Top Bottom