What's new

Boar Brush Break-in

I tried making lather without loading the boar brush, and it went a lot better. Soaked brush during my shower, dumped water out, scraped and smushed soap into mug, and added a little bit of water as I swirled.

It was better, but it's still not great at making a lather. The tips are pretty soft, so that's nice!

well i have an 50€ badger brush (silvertip, all companies got different grades on badger hairs, and that means NOTHING). that is pricky and sticky on my face... But an 3.9€ boar brush after 50 shaves is incredibly soft, so count on this... I only facelather.

So i would say, properly broken in boar is better. Better once broken in and soaked for at least 6min.

Contact vs feedback, wow having 3 boars to break in is incredible at same time. i decided take one by time. And just have2 in my den all the time.
I initially had 5 boar brushes but quickly realized that I was out of my depth and sold off the brushes which weren't my favorite.

I sold off Omega 10098 and 10005, both have great scope once break-in but I lacked the patience to deal with 5 boars one after another.

Soaking in is a finicky part for me, I still have to figure it out.
I lose my understanding after the soaking process ie how much water should be left in the brush, should I squeeze most of the water or just flick it 3-4 times?

This is the current progress of my boars:

IMG_20210910_113929.jpg
IMG_20210910_113907.jpg
IMG_20210910_113850.jpg
IMG_20210910_113839.jpg

I initially had 5 boar brushes but quickly realized that I was out of my depth and sold off the brushes which weren't my favorite.

I sold off Omega 10098 and 10005, both have great scope once break-in but I lacked the patience to deal with 5 boars one after another.

Soaking in is a finicky part for me, I still have to figure it out.
I lose my understanding after the soaking process ie how much water should be left in the brush, should I squeeze most of the water or just flick it 3-4 times?

This is the current progress of my boars:

View attachment 1325742View attachment 1325743View attachment 1325744View attachment 1325745
Those look fantastic, all broken in 👍 What you like most? After soaking, i go flicking few times. I just feel from the weight once its ready and does have good ammount of water. (see i use same brush so this is little bit easier than in rotation of few different).
How about going with 4flicks trying to go little dryer, cause water can be added quickly. i add water only from my fingertips to the brush.

Those look fantastic, all broken in 👍 What you like most? After soaking, i go flicking few times. I just feel from the weight once its ready and does have good ammount of water. (see i use same brush so this is little bit easier than in rotation of few different).
How about going with 4flicks trying to go little dryer, cause water can be added quickly. i add water only from my fingertips to the brush.
OK, I will do 4 flicks next time I use them as water can be added later.

I like the Proraso Professional Boar most then SOC brush. Zenith is still in tantrum phase, hopefully soon it'll start behaving better, it also has the most backbone among all my brushes.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have almost finished with breaking the boar bristle split ends of my new Yaqi "Viper" 24mm boar brush. Looking forward to using it tomorrow. I just place the brush in water 3/4 of the way up the knot for approximately 3 days in the fridge(some do not put brush in the fridge but just on the counter top). Each day the brush is removed cleaned with shampoo and rinsed then toweled dried for 4-5 minutes to start the split end process. I'm thinking it is 70-80% to where I like the feel of a nice boar brush and will just use it now for years of enjoyment.
(Very nice knot Blum in only 2 days of my procedure, lot's of bristle split ends that gives the softness for lather painting and scrubbing).
Yaqi #1 Viper 24mm boar brush (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

That Yaqi brush looks nice. I think I'm getting back into the boar game. What do the good people of B&B think I should get for my only boar? I've had a few Semogue's in the past, but that's my only brand for boar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Yaqi brush looks nice. I think I'm getting back into the boar game. What do the good people of B&B think I should get for my only boar? I've had a few Semogue's in the past, but that's my only brand for boar.

Only one Boar brush? And you already had some Semogue brushes in the past.
Two options both great…
1) The Big Spender option: Connaught Premium Jade Boar
2) The equally impressive & great price option: An Omega Pro knot Boar (examples 10049, 20107, 20102, Porasso Pro, etc.)

Just give it a real chance to break in before you judge it. No matter what break in method you use, they just get better with use.

Good luck and most importantly, have fun with your decision & new brush.

I'm shallow, and wanted a handle I thought looked cool.

Yaqi has a LOT or fantastic looking handles. Can't go wrong there!

I got the Zenith, because copper is rad, patina is cool, and I'm more likely to break my mug and counter than my brush if I drop it.

Thanks for the replies - I ended up getting a Proraso Pro. Did the quick 3 day break in and used it for the first time - I think I'm going to like boar better than badger...and will be getting more than one.

Thanks to folks on this board for inspiring me to stick with the break-in of my boar brush (Semogue 610). I went with the “just use it” method, and I wasn’t really counting, but it finally started rewarding me around the 15-20x mark. Really was ready to give up along the way in favor of some of my trusty badgers, but I stuck with it, and now my boar may be my favorite brush. An outcome I was not expecting, like, 10 days ago. Thanks all!

@NovaDave it just gets better. If you love it now…just wait.
However as a B&B member I feel like I should mention…now is the perfect time to add another Boar Brush and break it in slowly through use.
You’ll appreciate watching it develop and then you’ll have two great Boar brushes to go with your Badgers.
Zenith or Omega would really compliment your Semogue nicely. Hmmm which one should you get…

@NovaDave it just gets better. If you love it now…just wait.
However as a B&B member I feel like I should mention…now is the perfect time to add another Boar Brush and break it in slowly through use.
You’ll appreciate watching it develop and then you’ll have two great Boar brushes to go with your Badgers.
Zenith or Omega would really compliment your Semogue nicely. Hmmm which one should you get…
Great advice

Thanks to folks on this board for inspiring me to stick with the break-in of my boar brush (Semogue 610). I went with the “just use it” method, and I wasn’t really counting, but it finally started rewarding me around the 15-20x mark. Really was ready to give up along the way in favor of some of my trusty badgers, but I stuck with it, and now my boar may be my favorite brush. An outcome I was not expecting, like, 10 days ago. Thanks all!
That's a great choice.

And that's right around the magic number for many of my Semogue brushes as well.

And the tips aren't anywhere near close to being fully split yet... and so you've got this great time period where it's fun to use right now and comfortable but you just know that as those tips start splitting more and more... it'll just get softer and better and better.

I've abandoned trying to load my brush from the pick. It's working GREAT now if I scrape and smash soap into my mug and lather in that.

It keeps getting better, as promised. I'm no longer reluctantly rotating between my boar and badger brush, just sticking to the boar.

Looking forward to Decemboar 🐗!

Just to update my modest contribution to this thread, I recently picked up the Proraso/Omega boar and am well underway in breaking that one in. Basically just alternating between that and my ever more exquisite Semogue. My badgers and synthetics are getting lonely.

Just to update my modest contribution to this thread, I recently picked up the Proraso/Omega boar and am well underway in breaking that one in. Basically just alternating between that and my ever more exquisite Semogue. My badgers and synthetics are getting lonely.
The Proraso Pro brush is one of my favorites, great choice sir! I especially like the unbleached bristles of that brush. It will break in with use & give you many years of stellar lathers. Congratulations on discovering the wonderful world of boar, enjoy!!

Top Bottom