What's new

Boar Brush Break-in

I've read up on several ways to break in a boar bristle brush, and I'd like to start by saying I'm going with the "just use it" method.

I'd like to follow that up with: I might do the cup-in-the-fridge method if I get tired of the long-term method.

I got this lovely brush today:

proxy.php

I started by wetting the brush with warm water, then soaking the bristles about 3/4 in a cup of, you guessed it! Warm water! I let it soak for about 6 minutes, then put it to work.

As expected, it took a lot more soap than my badger brush to get an acceptable bowl lather going. I loaded it up, swiped it around in the cup for much longer than I'm used to, and kept adding little bits of soap. I can tell these bristles came from the infamous Italian Lather Hog by the way they gobbled up every slick little scrap!

I was a little worried, because the brush looked like this:

proxy.php

And I thought I'd received a pre-donutted brush. I was using gravity-pressure and knew I was not to blame... But the bristles were only lightly shedding, so I pressed onward.

I got boar'd of just adding soap and swirling and swiping and repeating, so I rinsed out the bowl and brush, loaded it again, and started over.

This time worked! I'm not yet getting luscious, luxurious lather, but I AM getting something I can use!

First impression:

I really like the backbone on this knot. The loft is higher, and the hairs packed more dense than what I've been using, and that's great for me! It'll only get better, unless I've been reading lies on B&B...

Happy happy happy so far! And post shave, that donut is gone. Worried for nothing :)

proxy.php

That's all for now.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The "Just use it" method is an excellent way to go. Plus you get to experience the whole series of changes the knot will go though on its break-in process. What starts out as stiff and prickly can end up being pillow-soft.

I have that same brush and have been using since Feb 2019. It's lovely and super soft and ready to go as compared to other boars. Just realize that copper handle will definitely change. Congrats on getting a wonderful boar!

I'm excited for the patina!!!

Got any pics of how yours has changed? I'd love to see it!

I've read up on several ways to break in a boar bristle brush, and I'd like to start by saying I'm going with the "just use it" method.

I'd like to follow that up with: I might do the cup-in-the-fridge method if I get tired of the long-term method.

proxy.php

I started by wetting the brush with warm water, then soaking the bristles about 3/4 in a cup of, you guessed it! Warm water! I let it soak for about 6 minutes, then put it to work.

As expected, it took a lot more soap than my badger brush to get an acceptable bowl lather going. I loaded it up, swiped it around in the cup for much longer than I'm used to, and kept adding little bits of soap. I can tell these bristles came from the infamous Italian Lather Hog by the way they gobbled up every slick little scrap!

proxy.php

And I thought I'd received a pre-donutted brush. I was using gravity-pressure and knew I was not to blame... But the bristles were only lightly shedding, so I pressed onward.

I got boar'd of just adding soap and swirling and swiping and repeating, so I rinsed out the bowl and brush, loaded it again, and started over.

This time worked! I'm not yet getting luscious, luxurious lather, but I AM getting something I can use!

First impression:

I really like the backbone on this knot. The loft is higher, and the hairs packed more dense than what I've been using, and that's great for me! It'll only get better, unless I've been reading lies on B&B...

Happy happy happy so far! And post shave, that donut is gone. Worried for nothing :)

proxy.php

That's all for now.
Zenith makes a great boar brush, in fact especially for the price you can not go wrong with any of their brushes. 😉

I think just using it, like you are, is the way to break those tips in most safely.

I had a zenith very similar to that that was quite stiff and tough to keep lather in until 20 or 30 uses and then it magically transformed into something really enjoyable. And of course from there, it just gets better and better.

(Sent from mobile)

proxy.php

proxy.php

First impression:

proxy.php

That's all for now.
Nice brush. When I purchased a new boar or badger I would do a couple of palm layers with a fragrance soap, rinse well and then put it to work on my face. In other words, just use it!

Nice brush, enjoy!

Subsequent to the initial cleaning of a boar to get rid of any funk (2x/3x palm lathering) I just use it. I love to explore its character in the process of breaking it in.

I never got this whole “breaking in” deal with boar brushes.

I recently got an Omega professional myself, and just started using it CONSTANTLY, straight out of the box, no “breaking in” for me, and it works FINE. ☺️

5AF31DD0-9B5D-4D09-9C40-A052497432CB.jpeg

And what’s with this “funk” smell some guys are talking about?

I didn’t notice any on mine.

Where’d you guys buy your brushes, from a BARN? 😳😆🥸

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I never got this whole “breaking in” deal with boar brushes.

I recently got an Omega professional myself, and just started using it CONSTANTLY, straight out of the box, no “breaking in” for me, and it works FINE. ☺

View attachment 1294627

And what’s with this “funk” smell some guys are talking about?

I didn’t notice any on mine.

Where’d you guys buy your brushes, from a BARN? 😳😆🥸
Some times you luck out when it comes to funk odour, some times it's there or not. There are a few different methods of breaking a boar brush, using it regularly and that takes a little while, balm lathering every day for about 5 days or so or just place brush in a glass of water 3/4 the way up the bristles placed in a fridge or out in the open air in a glass with water. I just broke one in recently and it turned out wonderfully, my new brush did not have much of any funk smell.

Gonna chime in with the majority here and endorse the just use it method. I have been doing exactly that for years and it has always worked just fine. I am currently breaking in a new SOC by just using it. That makes the third boar in a little over a year I have broken in.

Some boar brushes are so soft that you just need to use it and it will break in easily.

My lovely Proraso boar brush needed 3 days of keeping in cold water and drying process and 6 month of usage to break in nicely. Now I don't exchange this brush for any other.

Some times you luck out when it comes to funk odour, some times it's there or not. There are a few different methods of breaking a boar brush, using it regularly and that takes a little while, balm lathering every day for about 5 days or so or just place brush in a glass of water 3/4 the way up the bristles placed in a fridge or out in the open air in a glass with water. I just broke one in recently and it turned out wonderfully, my new brush did not have much of any funk smell.
Yes, but WHAT are we “breaking in?”

I own a boars brush (now two!) exactly because it’s stiff and so can generate a GREAT lather from a HARD soap. 🧼

If I wanted a “softer” brush, I’d just go straight to a BADGER. 🙄

Top Bottom