What's new

Boar bristles' split ends beaking off

I have a Vulfix 404 mixed hair brush, and have just noticed the split ends are breaking off. I have had the brush for right at a year, and use it everyday for head and face shaves. The split ends go about 1/3 of an inch down, and I see a few that have bent, and several that have completely broken off. The badger hairs seem just fine.

Do they re-split, or does the bristle just stay as it is? I have taken care of my brush, but being my only brush, there have been times that the brush has not fully dried between uses. Could someone let me know if it is something I am doing, or just the way boar hairs act.

Thanks!

That seems really strange. I have heard of the bristle breaking off at the base of the knot but not at the tips. Even if you are using too much pressure when applying the lather, I would imagine the bristle would break at the base of the knot.

I'm eager to see what others have experienced.

If it's one broken bristle here and there, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if a lot of them are breaking off something you are doing might be damaging and weakening the hairs.
I have an omega boar brush, I'll check if there are any broken split ends on it.

Right now it appears to be seven hairs that are nubby, with a couple more headed that way. The rest on the brush look just fine. It doesn't seem to feel any different though.

Right now it appears to be seven hairs that are nubby, with a couple more headed that way.

You can pick out 7 individual short hairs out of a whole brush worth? I think you are too worried about it. FWIW, if I brush my dry boar on the palm of my hand the bristles break off like dry pine needles.

I have had the brush for right at a year, and use it everyday for head and face shaves.

maybe letting the brush completely dry by rotating each day would help the brush not shed. i have a semogue boar and omega boar that i rotate every other day so the brushes get completely dry and i have had no such problem. perhaps getting a rotation going with 2 brushes would help (and it is a good excuse to get a new brush)

You can pick out 7 individual short hairs out of a whole brush worth? I think you are too worried about it. FWIW, if I brush my dry boar on the palm of my hand the bristles break off like dry pine needles.

Really? That sounds scary!
My boar brush is nothing like that, the hairs are pliable and flexible. I don't thing that any amount of bending will get them to snap like twigs.

maybe letting the brush completely dry by rotating each day would help the brush not shed. i have a semogue boar and omega boar that i rotate every other day so the brushes get completely dry and i have had no such problem. perhaps getting a rotation going with 2 brushes would help (and it is a good excuse to get a new brush)

I have been toying the idea of making a brush, and getting a knot from TGN.

Beaking off you say. I have heard of brushes being scritchy or being lather hogs, but I have never heard of a brush beaking off:scared: Maybe soak it in vinegar to put it back in line!

The only reason that I could think the bristles start breaking off would maybe be that you are not soaking the brush well before using it. You should ideally give the brush a good three minute soak before use - I certainly don't always do this with my boar brushes, but none of mine are showing signs of wear. One other reason may be that you have really hard water and calcium has caked on the bristles over time, this makes them more stiff when dry and more likely to snap off - though this hypothesis is more just me thinking out loud.

In any event, making a second (or maybe even second and third) brush with TGN parts is a good idea.

It has just started - the calcium might be a good idea - I do have hard water.

Here is my Routine:

Soak brush while in shower(min 10 minutes)
Rub stick on face
Face lather
shave
rub stick on head
head lather
shave
rinse brush
shake out
hang on stand

The only change up is if I use a cream(not very often) I put the cream on the brush and face lather. When I use a soap, I put some water on the puck while the brush soaks, and then load the brush for 20-30 seconds. I would say that I use a stick 70% of the time, and a cream 5%.

Yeah, you're not doing anything different from the next person when using your brush. Doesn't seem to be a reason in your routine for the bristles to break off. All I can suggest is a good vinegar rinse. The wiki covers this well. You have been using this brush exclusively for a year now, given your hard water, it makes sense that the brush needs a cleaning.

Worse case scenario is that you have no excuse to put off getting that second brush:thumbup:

Top Bottom