What's new

Boar / badger mixed brushes

I am seeking opinions from those who have experience using a boar/badger mix brush. I have my eye on one and just doing my homework before I purchase. Are they worth it? Is there a notable benefit? Any thoughts are welcomed.

I’ve used a few, I think the Semogue Mistura was the best one by far. I have a Vulfix Grosvenor which I consider a fairly low quality knot (allegedly some older ones were really nice), and I’m currently using a Maggard mixed knot that is still breaking in but so far has been pretty scritchy.

Yeah the maggard and apluxury knot has a little more scritch than a semogue, but you can reduce that by leaving the loft a bit higher... I love it though... it was the thing I missed most when using my semogue vs my Rooney finest. They also feel denser. They are really nicely dense. Right up there with the old “Uk” knots TGN carried very briefly many years ago (which are chubby knots). At $20-30, these mixed knots are the best thing out there.

They're very...mixed, in my experience. I have a grosevener that is put up against any brush, but I fear its kind of a one off or from the vintage that jessiex mentioned; it has probably 3 times as much hair as the other versions if the same brush I've handled. Come on vulfix, stuff some more hair in those things and you have a legendary brush. Same goes for vulfix boar brushes, they'd be superb if only they would....i dunno, quintuple the amount if bristle.

They're very...mixed, in my experience. I have a grosevener that is put up against any brush, but I fear its kind of a one off or from the vintage that jessiex mentioned; it has probably 3 times as much hair as the other versions if the same brush I've handled. Come on vulfix, stuff some more hair in those things and you have a legendary brush. Same goes for vulfix boar brushes, they'd be superb if only they would....i dunno, quintuple the amount if bristle.
I have a Vulfix badger and I agree with your assessment - they should have added more bristles.

I have a mixed midget. I face lather exclusively, and bought it as a travel brush. the pures were incredibly pokey when new. I almost quit it, or clipped the tips of the pures. it broke in well, and I can still feel them if I splay the brush on my face, but it's manageable now. while it's a small brush, I could daily it regularly. I'm not sure how representative it is of mixed brushes, or if they're for me in general. I love my SOC boar, but tend to use my badgers at home.

Ah you're one of the lucky few that has a good Grosvenor! I've seen pictures of a few and the knots compared to the 'standard' one that I have are clearly at a different level, have heard nothing but great things about them.

Yall sure they are the mixed grosvenors and you didn't grab one of the simpson LE's made with two band badger? They did a run of I think 200 or so like 10 years ago for around $100 each.

My Omega Mighty Midget mixed boar/badger brush arrived and I was surprised how well the brush performed. For a first shave it felt like it was completely broken in. Soft, not scratchy. I did let it soak in warm water while I showered, so that makes a difference. Last evening I hand lathered a couple of times with some Proraso white and there was little residual funky scent that one would expect with a new brush. I am very pleased.

My Omega Mighty Midget mixed boar/badger brush arrived and I was surprised how well the brush performed. For a first shave it felt like it was completely broken in. Soft, not scratchy. I did let it soak in warm water while I showered, so that makes a difference. Last evening I hand lathered a couple of times with some Proraso white and there was little residual funky scent that one would expect with a new brush. I am very pleased.

Yes, I noticed you got one. Like your experience, no break in period necessary and feels great. :)

Correction. I purchased the Omega 11047 Mixed Midget, not the Mighty Midget.:001_rolle

I had a Semogue SOC LE 2012 mixed a while back that for some really odd reason I sold. It was pretty good, with an excellent handle. I felt at the time the knot was too big... go figure...

Semogue since then re-released it, I got one and the knot is great. Really great. Great backbone and soft tips. What's not to like.

Maggard has a mixed knot as well that I used in a restoration. The feel is excellent, about on par with Semogue.

CONGRATULATIONS!! :a14::a14:

I have a vintage Stanley mixed bristle brush. It's harder to deal with than a full badger brush. It definitely requires lots of soaking, and it requires much more cream than the straight badger to whip up the same amount of lather.

Best of luck with the new brush.

Top Bottom