What's new

BMW 325i vs. Audi A4 Quattro

Gents, I am looking at replacing my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My current Jeep is a 4X4 4.7L V8 with 79k miles. As you can tell I am averaging about 40k miles per year. I have owned Grand Cherokees for about 12 years and have always been happy with them. Nevertheless, I am getting about 15 mpg in city and 17.6 on the highway. With the price of gas, it is getting really expensive for me.

I am a self-employed consultant and have to travel for work. Before gas prices skyrocketed, the cost was bearable but now it's different. I usually keep my jeep for two years and trade it in for a new one.

I have decided to start looking at a replacement because of my mileage and gas consumption. I decided to look at mid-size cars. I narrowed it down to Acura TL, Infiniti G35, BMW 325i, Cadillac CTS and Audi A4. I have eliminated all cars with the exception of the BMW and Audi.

Both cars drive very similar (German engineering). The BMW is a 6 cylinder and the Audi is a 4 cylinder Turbo charged. Gas consumption is 20/30 mpg for the BMW and 22/31 mpg for the Audi.

Does anyone have any experience with these cars that can comment? Thanks for the replies.

Andrew

Austin,
Stay away from Audi.... I know more than a dozen people who own them (less than 2 years old) and all of them seem to have constant problems. My friends/family that own BMW's seem to enjoy them, but they are rather expensive to maintain, and are a bit loud, and not as smooth as the other options.

If it were me - I would go with the Acura. They drive wonderfully, are loaded with cool options, brilliantly designed, very fast, fun to drive, excellent gas mileage, and most importantly - VERY reliable. My dad has an Acura TL - and LOVES it. He has put about 90K miles on it, and it looks, performs, and acts BRAND new. Really amazing.... my next car will certainly be an Acura TL. I recommend driving one - and checking out eopinions, and consumer reports. The Acura wins hands down!

i'd take a g35. even better, i'd take a skyline.... when they come out with them.

beggars can't be choosers though :c17:

Thanks for the reply Joel. I test drove an Acura TL today. They do have alot of cool gadgets but I found the ride sterile. Not very much torque for me in the mid to high range. But then again, the only real comparison I can make is to my wife's mustang that has plenty of torque at all speeds.

I did ask the Audi salesman about past problems with Audi and he stated that they back up their cars with 5 years/50K no maintance warranty. It's good to hear about real people that own this car and their experiences.

Anyone else?

Austin said:
Thanks for the reply Joel. I test drove an Acura TL today. They do have alot of cool gadgets but I found the ride sterile. Not very much torque for me in the mid to high range. But then again, the only real comparison I can make is to my wife's mustang that has plenty of torque at all speeds.

I did ask the Audi salesman about past problems with Audi and he stated that they back up their cars with 5 years/50K no maintance warranty. It's good to hear about real people that own this car and their experiences.

Anyone else?

Austin,
They do back their cars up.... but you'll know the service guys by first name. You thought the BMW was torquey? Man - I drive one with a 5 speed manual, and thought it was slow as molasses - wasn't impressed. Handled beautifully, had a wonderful tranny - but was tiny inside, wasn't very smooth riding, and again - slow slow slow.

I noticed that the bimmer had to get going before you felt the engine kick in. Hmm, I am starting to think that maybe I should just keep my Jeep but than again the price of gas is killing me. Last month alone, I spent about $500 in fuel costs. Almost a car payment.

Austin said:
I noticed that the bimmer had to get going before you felt the engine kick in. Hmm, I am starting to think that maybe I should just keep my Jeep but than again the price of gas is killing me. Last month alone, I spent about $500 in fuel costs. Almost a car payment.

If you are looking for power (which it seems like you are) might want to get a Hemi C sedan. They make an "r" version or something as well, that has around 400 horses....

Unfortunately Joel, I am really looking for reasonable operating costs. Horsepower is cool but not a priority due to fuel costs. I will also be looking at some Mercedes sedans next week. I am really in no hurry.

I'd go for a barely used (04 or so) certified 330 rather than a new 325. Leaps and bounds better if the 330 isnt in your budget.

The G35 suggestion is a good thing to throw into the ring too. Coupe is pretty fun.

PLEASE stay away from the C-class (same cost league as it seems you are aiming at) unless you are going to look at a C32 AMG. The others arent even worthy of consideration in my mind.

Austin said:
Unfortunately Joel, I am really looking for reasonable operating costs. Horsepower is cool but not a priority due to fuel costs. I will also be looking at some Mercedes sedans next week. I am really in no hurry.

If you are looking at operating costs - might make sense to keep yer jeep - and buy a toyota Prius Hybrid just for business.

Let me see...I sell Hondas for a living, so, what do you think I am going to say? ACURA! Here is my advice. Look at all of the cars you are interested in, and get your "short" list compiled. Then make a decision. The most important thing is that you buy the right car. You said that operating costs are what is important, but that one statement is not agreeing with everything else you are saying. Mabye you should keep the Jeep and buy a Civic, getting 38 mpg. Do the math and it will just about pay for itself, and you will still have your Jeep.

Just my thoughts!

Randy

Randy, I was waiting to hear from you. Thanks for the reply. I am realistic that I will have to give up one for the other. I would like to keep the jeep but I have to allocate my resources accordingly and it would not be within my budget to keep both. Thanks.

Austin,

Now I am just an ol shoe shine boy, but my buddies out at the car lot Euel Cheatham and Ben Loukin, told me to suggest a Chrysler Hemi C or a Dodge Charger R/T....they also make a Charger R/T package with an upgrade to the chip for more horsepower...these new hemis have that feature that shuts down up to 4 of its cylinders while cruising for better fuel economy...and alot of the componenets of these cars are made by mercedes...

These ol boys can be a little windy, but they always tell the truth...they sold me my 1974 Plymouth Valiant scamp with a slant six and it has over 375,000 miles on it, now.

Take a look at one of those too...

mark the shoeshine boy....

Andrew,

Although I sell cars, I am not passionate about them. Long story as to why, but I consider them metal with motors. That's it. If I had a choice of which car I could drive home, I would choose the one with plenty of gas. I've driven Corvettes, a few Mercedes Benz, Prowlers, Vipers, and even a Lotus. What I look for in a car is very simple. Decent fuel economy, and given that, only one other thing. That it starts when I turn the key. Nothing more. I just totaled a '97 Dodge Neon (hey, I'm divorced with 5 kids, priorities!) and will be replacing it with a 2001 Honda Accord LX. In my previous post where I suggest Acura, I do so for several reasons. Economy, dependability and safety. No, it's not the "hottest" thing on the market. But remember, buying a car is not smart! All they do is depreciate. So, as a guy in the "business", this is my suggestion. Decide what is most important, whether it be appearance (you are a consultant, appearance is important, you don't want to drive up in a 'vette, uh cheVETTE) maximum fuel economy, performance or a combination. Then, look at your lease (or, since you are in Texas, unless the laws have changed, balloon note) options for 2 or 3 year leases/balloons. Since I don't really know you personally, I am getting mixed signals from what your priorities are. Mark TSSB would probaly agree with this. 22 years in this business has taught me one thing...help people, don't sell them. I am NOT your typical car salesperson, and that is why I maintain the volume that I do. I am the #1 salesperson in the #1 Honda store in the state of Utah, yet I don't sell cars, I assist people in getting the right car. Not bragging, just my credentials. But what it boils down to is this. YOU pick the car, don't be sold. Once you select the car, shop dealers. AND DO IT OVER THE INTERNET! You'll have to visit dealerships to test drive, but don't go back until you have contacted the internet department of all of the dealerships in the area that sell the car you are interested in buying. I'll pm you with more suggestions, but other than raising your kids and home purchases, cars are the most expensive investments you will make in life.

Randy

My vote goes to the G35.....beautifull, classy, oppurtunity for upgrades. OR
As far as Audi being unreliable.........I know people with turbo upgrades with 400 plus hp daily driven with no real lack of mileage. If your going to spend in the 30's might as well get a reliable car that you can have fun in as well :biggrin: Thats why I bought a evo

I have had my 325i for 4 years now and love it every bit as much as the day I bought it. I had wanted one since I was a wee little lad, when I laid eyes on one as I went with my dad to pick up my moms first BMW back in the early 80's. Long story short, the car has been impecable, drives like a dream, and gets great gas mileage I average 26 miles per gallon in combo highway city and get about 32 on the highway. Some days I regret no getting the 330 and having a bit more power, then I rember I am in America and it doesn't matter. So when I am in Germany I rent myself a 330 or 525 and blast on down the Audobahn.

Adam, I was impressed with my drive of the BMW 325i. The engine did not pull at low speed until it reached about 2500 rpm. Nevertheless, the steering feel and feedback was impressive. I took it on a twisty hilly road and it performed remarkably.

I like the new body style and it appears much quieter than the previous model. The interior is clean and simple which is a plus for me. Of course there are a number of things I don't like about this car but they are minimal.

Thanks for the reply.

Austin said:
Adam, I was impressed with my drive of the BMW 325i. The engine did not pull at low speed until it reached about 2500 rpm. Nevertheless, the steering feel and feedback was impressive. I took it on a twisty hilly road and it performed remarkably.

I like the new body style and it appears much quieter than the previous model. The interior is clean and simple which is a plus for me. Of course there are a number of things I don't like about this car but they are minimal.

Thanks for the reply.
Austin,
What are your priorities for the car to be? I have been trying to by SWMBO a new car for almost a year now and we have driven everything "sexy" from 30K to 40K. A large number of these models seem to require premium fuel (+.18 per gallon) which is no big deal when you are already paying $3.00 a gallon I guess. I would suggest staying away from the 325. SWMBO, not a lead foot by any means, took one out in Oklahoma City's traffic and onto expressway/interstate and found the midrange to be really lacking (325ci). Took out a similarly equipped 330, liked the power but didn't like the price (well over 42K the drop-dead limit she personally set). She liked the G35 coupe for handling, etc. It just didn't have the correct cachet. I think our real problem is she doesn't want to spend 65K for the perfect car...(Me neither)
I'll just relate back to my initial statement,
What are your priorities?

My in-laws just bought a 2006 Lexus GS. It's a beautiful sexy vehicle. Although they won't let me drive it, the view from the back seat is nice.

guenron said:
Austin,
What are your priorities for the car to be? I have been trying to by SWMBO a new car for almost a year now and we have driven everything "sexy" from 30K to 40K. A large number of these models seem to require premium fuel (+.18 per gallon) which is no big deal when you are already paying $3.00 a gallon I guess. I would suggest staying away from the 325. SWMBO, not a lead foot by any means, took one out in Oklahoma City's traffic and onto expressway/interstate and found the midrange to be really lacking (325ci). Took out a similarly equipped 330, liked the power but didn't like the price (well over 42K the drop-dead limit she personally set). She liked the G35 coupe for handling, etc. It just didn't have the correct cachet. I think our real problem is she doesn't want to spend 65K for the perfect car...(Me neither)
I'll just relate back to my initial statement,
What are your priorities?

I do not want to spend over $40K for car that will need to be replaced w/in two years. I did not consider the 330 either because of the price point.

My priorities are comfort because of the time I spend traveling, upkeep, handling and price. Due to my job I sometimes have to take clients, mainly physicians, to lunch or dinner meetings. I would not feel comfortable driving them around in a Toyota Tercel.

The search continues.

Top Bottom