What's new

Blutt Rasur BR-1 Polished / Matte

Hey chaps,
I just got an email from Blutt Rasur announcing the ‘high gloss polished’ version of their BR-1 razor. I know the razor has some fans here and it’s one of my top razors too, so this may be of interest to some of you.

This is what the email says. Price is CHF 260 versus CHF 223 for the satin finish. Not a big price uplift.

Why it took longer than anticipated:
Initially we wanted to employ electropolishing for our polished finish. However we found that even after trying different methods and shops, we couldn’t achieve the finish we wanted.
As a result we switched some areas to a hand finished process, which took a fairly long time to dial in.
Polished razors will be limited in availability, as the finishing process takes time. When more are ready, they are added to the shop. We expect this to be the case every few weeks.
Standalone polished baseplates will follow in the shop in a few weeks too. As of right now, only full razors are available.
Thank you.
Pascal

5E93E440-CCFA-4C98-BF09-369C7B643E13.jpeg

Hey chaps,
I just got an email from Blutt Rasur announcing the ‘high gloss polished’ version of their BR-1 razor. I know the razor has some fans here and it’s one of my top razors too, so this may be of interest to some of you.

This is what the email says. Price is CHF 260 versus CHF 223 for the satin finish. Not a big price uplift.

Why it took longer than anticipated:
Initially we wanted to employ electropolishing for our polished finish. However we found that even after trying different methods and shops, we couldn’t achieve the finish we wanted.
As a result we switched some areas to a hand finished process, which took a fairly long time to dial in.
Polished razors will be limited in availability, as the finishing process takes time. When more are ready, they are added to the shop. We expect this to be the case every few weeks.
Standalone polished baseplates will follow in the shop in a few weeks too. As of right now, only full razors are available.
Thank you.
Pascal

View attachment 1590896
looks gorgeous I have got a satin one but now being tempted to get this one too

looks gorgeous I have got a satin one but now being tempted to get this one too
I did see somebody once post a photo of their Blutt that they had polished themselves. It looked fantastic but I’m sure it took a lot of time and skill to do it. I wish Blutt had posted some more brightly lit photos so we could see it better, but if it is done as well as I’d expect from them it is a very attractive razor indeed when polished.

lasta

Blade Biter
It’s shiny, @lasta — pounce!
Hmm, I have noticed the Blutt, and I do like the sleek minimalist look!

From the relative width of safety bar to top cap, seems like a shallow shave too, right up my alley.

So, which Blutt plate shaves like a Tech? At this price, I'd have to weigh it against 10-14 Techs...

Also, the handle doesn't speak to me, too anorexic, I like mine short and fat. Probably need a custom @Rosseforp handle to make it perfect!

All in all, I'd probably have to trade in 18 Techs for this beauty!:em2200:

Well, I bought one of the new polished Bluttrasur BR-1s and got hold of it today. The polishing is lovely, high gloss, and looks beautiful to me. I think the polishing enhances the appeal of this razor, though the original satin finish is very high quality.

If I magnify the view and look very closely the top cap is a true mirror polish - I can see almost no tiny surface unevenness or imperfections. The underside of the base plate and the handle have minor surface unevenness that is visible under magnification but not apparent to the naked eye, and they are high-gloss. The inside of the top cap and base plate are nicely finished with no machining marks, but not a glossy polish - which is fine by me. There is no rounding of edges or loss of detail that I can detect.

From my perspective I am super happy with it. The polishing effort is well-judged and the parts that are important are given the right amount of attention to get the appropriate result. The top of the cap is the most important part and it is near perfection as far as I am able to discern - close to Wolfman mirror polish.

That’s all trying to take a detailed look for any imperfections. The overall impression of the polished razor is very satisfying and more than I was hoping for. Given the price uplift of less than CHF 40, it’s a very nice option.

The Bluttrasur BR-1 is one of my favourite razors, and it’s well worth the price whichever finish you choose. But I’m just inspecting the new polishing here. Reviews of the razor can be found in other threads.

EB88A5C0-5346-4E84-9356-76AE51E15F8B.jpeg

A447B2D9-7E1C-4309-84B6-C55608CD2B90.jpeg

AA24796B-8DE6-42EB-92A2-AF1F6AAD9C14.jpeg

9A27511E-B673-45DA-8F8A-08D98C0C535F.jpeg

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It is tempting.... but I have two complete Blutt BR-1s set up now... I guess I could sell one of them and for that extra 40 Euros.. get the polished one... My plate is sort of full at the moment with projected razor purchases.

The polished version is lovely. I never paid much attention to the satin version but something about this really changes things in my eye. I hope to try one someday.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Blutt BR-1 1.20 was the first razor that overwhelmed me... after using a few others and the ESC Claymore Evolution I used for ~ 5+ months when I first started this journey on Feb. 15th, 2022. It was waiting for me when we got home from Bali in late September last year. I ordered it while I was recovering from extensive oral surgery and implants. @Mr. Shavington and I discussed it in PMs as I was deciding to move into a half step up in efficiency from my Claymore Evo.....What great advice.

That's why this polished Blutt BR-1 appeals to me. I will have to put it off until we get back from Bali for the final installation of my new teeth. Whew..... it's been a long wait. I'm waiting for my name to come up on two lists... both are going to be cutting it close to our departure date: April 5th. You never know... I might have a Blutt waiting for me again, when we get home... a beautiful polished one. ;)

Top Bottom