What's new

bluetooth music receiver

Many years ago I ripped most of my CD collection to FLAC format to play through a squeeze box. Perhaps I should "upload" these files to the Google play service to access them from wherever.

Did you or anyone ever try YouTube Red? Last year (I think?) I was prodded everytime I watched a few YouTube concert videos to sign up for this new service that appeared to be focused on music streaming.

Google Music Play subscriptions come with YT Red and YT Music included. Not bad for $10/month. Google is still trying to come to a resolution on a streaming music platform so word is that Play Music is going to incorporated into YT Music. Will have to see what they come up with. Until then, I keep using and enjoying Play Music. YT Music needs a great deal of interface work but it is better than using YT for music listening, IMHO. YT Red is great simply for removing all the in-video ads. The original content is meh. You can probably get a free trial period to see if you like it.

Discovered a new FM station that is oriented towards online streaming. Overlooking the poorly chosen station name their format looks pretty good. No advertisements or announcement of song names, just an occasional announcement about the station.

Their smartphone app has a similar look and feel as Radio Paradise, in that the song title and a start/pause button is available in the notification panel. Special shows such as the Blues Kitchen with Near Blind Ken are archived and available as podcast or streaming with the app.

https://www.thatstation.net/

Google Music Play subscriptions come with YT Red and YT Music included. Not bad for $10/month. Google is still trying to come to a resolution on a streaming music platform so word is that Play Music is going to incorporated into YT Music. Will have to see what they come up with. Until then, I keep using and enjoying Play Music. YT Music needs a great deal of interface work but it is better than using YT for music listening, IMHO. YT Red is great simply for removing all the in-video ads. The original content is meh. You can probably get a free trial period to see if you like it.

Daniel, good information about the YouTube services. About a year and a half ago my daughter was eating our data allowance like candy watching music videos. She begged and pleaded til we got her YTRed. Mostly so she could dowmnload the songs and save streaming bandwidth. The cost is ten dollars per month. I know you cannot answer this question directly since you have no way of seeing the subscription but do you think this is a Google music sub and the YT Red is the part she is using or are there separate levels of subscriptions? Sounds like Google Music is the sub to get in this instance.

Last edited:
Another option I have found is the app radio.com. What I like about it is the ability to stream regular terrestrial radio broadcasts if they are a member. Now to me, local broadcast music radio is dead. It is worthless for playlist depth, interesting personalities, etc. Not my thing anymore.

However, the AM band is still alive with a lot of good talk radio shows. So why not just listen on my radio? Well other than my Sangean ATS-803A there is not a single radio in my possession that receives medium wave broadcasts worth listening to. The static, pops, cross channel intereference and bleedover is horrid. And I suspect most of it is poor antenna design. So the radio.com app gives you crystal clear reception, albeit without the bass resonance a good AM tuner and amp bring. You simply cannot get that with a bluetooth signal. I may try it through the 3.5mm audio jack and see if it is improved.

Daniel, good information about the YouTube services. About a year and a half ago my daughter was eating our data allowance like candy watching music videos. She begged and pleaded til we got her YTRed. Mostly so she could dowmnload the songs and save streaming bandwidth. The cost is ten dollars per month. I know you cannot answer this question directly since you have no way of seeing the subscription but do you think this is a Google music sub and the YT Red is the part she is using or are there separate levels of subscriptions? Sounds like Google Music is the sub to get in this instance.

I started with a Google Play Music subscription for $10/month. Later the YT Red was added as part of the Play Music subscription. At a later point when YT Music became a thing, it too was added to base of the subscription. All three for the price of the original subscription. Hope this helps.

Another option I have found is the app radio.com. What I like about it is the ability to stream regular terrestrial radio broadcasts if they are a member. Now to me, local broadcast music radio is dead. It is worthless for playlist depth, interesting personalities, etc. Not my thing anymore.

However, the AM band is still alive with a lot of good talk radio shows. So why not just listen on my radio? Well other than my Sangean ATS-803A there is not a single radio in my possession that receives medium wave broadcasts worth listening to. The static, pops, cross channel intereference and bleedover is horrid. And I suspect most of it is poor antenna design. So the radio.com app gives you crystal clear reception, albeit without the bass resonance a good AM tuner and amp bring. You simply cannot get that with a bluetooth signal. I may try it through the 3.5mm audio jack and see if it is improved.

I use the Tune-In app to radio but I have almost constant access to wifi so I needn't worry about data consumption. I love Tune-In because it provides access not only to most local programming (AM and FM) but it is also searchable by location. So I can listen to WOZZ live programming out of NOLA, WWSP live programming out of central WI as well as my local programming. I still have not found a good source to listen to Swansea City AFC matches on Tune-In but other than this, I am satisfied with the app. BTW- I purchased the upgrade to "Pro" so I can pause/record live programming, if that interests you at all.

Daniel, I have to use Tunein for other stations too. My local powerhouse AM channel was there but it moved to the radio.com app last year sometime.

I wil, tell her to check her account andnse what she has access to. Thanks again for the useful information.

Top Bottom