What's new

Bluebird Hi-Stainless-Platinum DE Blades

I find the Blue Birds to be right underneath the top shelf.
Top 3 for me is Feather, Kai & Gillette Yellow.

Derby's comes way back in that list.

YMMV.

I presume that you feel it's interesting because people find the blades different and you suspect they are the same.

Yes for me they shave the same but that is not to say there may not be subtle differences as I mentioned about stepping up quality control for the contract work or just a having a better batch a raw materials. The real point of providing the information in the post is to clarify where they are made as there were many rumours about their origin. Only you will be able to decide how they shave.:biggrin1:

Last edited:
Derbys and Blue Birds shaved the same for me also. The only difference I found was that I would occasionally get a dud Derby. The Blue Birds were consistent from blade to blade. My Derbys were a batch from 10 months ago so I don't know if the new ones are different.

Bluebird vs. Astra - for my face, in my Fatboy, the Bluebirds are sharper, but not nearly as smooth. If I remember to dial the razor down a notch, I get a very good shave with Bluebirds but the first shave will have some weepers.

I have a sample order of Blues on the way. Since I like Derbys it will be interesting for me as to my opinion of these.

A friend of mine gave me a few BB's to try and I was VERY impressed. I used the blades in a slant and came away with an amazingly soft BBS. I'm about to try Astra SP's today before placing my first bulk order.

M

Mateo

Bluebird has recently become one of my favorites, and ranks in my top 3. Great combination of sharpness and smoothness. Amazon has 100 for $15.99 shipped free.

Great private label blades. It's amazing how this blade comes up a least once a week and the thread always goes the same way. They're Derby's. No, they're not Derby's they're better. I heard they came from the UAE. Give up there is no proof. The manufacturer does not have to tell & won't. Thus, Private Labels.

I asked my supplier about carrying them and he replied that when they asked the manufacture they told them Bluebird was just Derby's repackaged, same blade.

My experience was much the same as many previous posts- bluebirds give me a much better shave than the derby. I don't see how these could be repackaged derby blades. They might be made by the same company but it is hard for me to believe they are the same blade from my experience.

So, gang, should I invest in a five-pack? :blink:

Yes, I find Blue Birds a cut above other razor blades. In all likelihood they are made by the same company that manufactures Derby Extra but to me they shave better. That's not unusual as many companies make blades for differing prices points. Consider the 7 O'clock brand. It is made up of a several blade monikers, each one with their own shave characteristics, all manufactured in the same St. Petersburg plant.

Last edited:
I've been hankering to try Bluebird. So I guess the next sample round I try will include them.

From my readings here and elsewhere it seems they are rated as favorably as the Derby brand but with apparently fewer reservations. More approval than knock compared to several others, actually.

Judio, if you would like a pack PM me and I will send one your way.

I 'preciate the offer, Chris. But frankly, I have got to make some room before I think about it!

I just got the Green Sampler from BullGoose and I have a ways to go hacking through it and the fifty Israeli Blues and ... :blink:

I 'preciate the offer, Chris. But frankly, I have got to make some room before I think about it!

I just got the Green Sampler from BullGoose and I have a ways to go hacking through it and the fifty Israeli Blues and ... :blink:

It's free... :001_smile

I have a few so just PM me when you make it through your sampler.

Got any beard stimulator? I could certainly make a dent if I wasn't limited to one shave every day of the week!

I swear, I look forward to shaving! Never did that before. Once a day isn't nearly enough to satisfy the urge to play with my shiny new toys!

Once upon a time, I skipped weekend shaving. These days the w/e means selecting a new blade and deciding into which razor to load it.

Arrgh! I'm a GEEK! And I love it! :thumbup:

Top Bottom