What's new

Bluebird Hi-Stainless-Platinum DE Blades

If anyone has actually used them, please post some 'real life' experiences with these, perhaps comparing them to Derby since there's speculation that they're produced by the same maker. The actual review on these new blades is a bit lacking from my point of view.

I've got a five pack that came in a trade (Bluebirds for Sharks, like Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom).

I'll post my impressions when I get to them, but I can't compare them to Derby blades, since I've not used the Derby.

I'm a pushover for blades, as in I've had good results with blades (Dorco, US Personna) that some members describe as worse than trash, so don't expect a scathing review.

Yep, made by Derby in Turkey for a company in the UAE. Not suprisingly they look like a Derby, and shave like a Derby.

I just recieved a sample pack and will be trying them over the weeking. Expect a review on Monday.

Visually, I don't think they made by Derby.
The external packaging may look similar, but the blade itself: the way it is marked, the pick up points (machine handling), different type of machine grease used (I can tell from the smell), and the wrapping paper type are in my opinion - not Derby.

I wonder why they try to conceal their true origins?!

As I have used Derbys extensively, I feel you are duty bound to send me one!

(I'm sure I could find something to trade in return :biggrin:)

Interesting.

*edit* for the record, i just tried the green gillettes from russia. Very good competition for these, but still, imo bluebird is king. The gillettes felt a little bit rough in comparison.

Last edited:
I just now got 2 sample packs from ntguys. As it turns out, its time to shave :biggrin:
Will post a review in the review section after while

heres a couple of pics, (just like Derby). The black mark on the end was made by ME, opps, using a pen to see if there was used blade storage. There is.

****UPDATE**** Will post a review in the review section after using them a few more times. Strange blade.

Attachments

• $IMG_5910.jpg
    $IMG_5910.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,135
  • $IMG_5913.jpg
    $IMG_5913.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,130
  • $IMG_5914.jpg
    $IMG_5914.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,136
Last edited:
Had my first shave with one tonight...certainly sharp, but I don't know that I'd call it ultra-smooth. An interesting blade for sure, and I'll need more time with them before writing a real review, but they are worth trying at the very least....

Too soon to form a good opinion, just got some of these blades from an ebay seller. First shave with one was in my baseline razor, a notched, nodatecode SuperSpeed. (BTW, had a close shave yesterday, so this blade did not have to do too much work.) Initial impression: sharp but not smooth. Makes a much louder sound while cutting than other blades. Gives a good shave, but less enjoyable than a Super Iridium or a Feather. Will see what the second and third shave are like.

Too soon to form a good opinion, just got some of these blades from an ebay seller. First shave with one was in my baseline razor, a notched, nodatecode SuperSpeed. (BTW, had a close shave yesterday, so this blade did not have to do too much work.) Initial impression: sharp but not smooth. Makes a much louder sound while cutting than other blades. Gives a good shave, but less enjoyable than a Super Iridium or a Feather. Will see what the second and third shave are like.

Exactly my feelings, less enjoyable, (thats the word I was looking for) than my blades of choice; feather, IP.
I used the blade in my Futur and tried to afford it every opportunity to do well. It provided a bbs shave. However, not without considerable effort.
Now for the weird part, no irratation after 4 passes and vigorous touch up.
Thats it, not going to review further. As always, YMMV

Last edited:
Just got my 100 blade carton of Bluebirds, it does say "Made In Europe" on the carton, and there a strange "perhaps" email address "bluebird-intel.com".
I've tried it both as a web site, and email address, nothing works.

Just to add to the mystery of where they're really from.

View attachment 56990

Last edited:
Just got my 100 blade carton of Bluebirds, it does say "Made In Europe" on the carton, and there a strange "perhaps" email address "bluebird-intel.com".
I've tried it both as a web site, and email address, nothing works.

Just to add to the mystery of where they're really from.

Funny that they would put a web address on the box if the site isn't up (yet!).

I tried google and a whois.net search also with no results.

...Will see what the second and third shave are like.

Second shave: Bluebird in 40s notched nodatecode SuperSpeed, careful prep with Cella. The shave seemed a little smoother, but ironically I have quite a bit of irritation. Result is a DFS.

I'm gonna skip the third shave on this blade and try a new Bluebird tomorrow. If results are the same, I'll shelve the remaining 98 blades to await the shavepocalypse.

P.S. Yet, this is a pretty nice shave!

Last edited:
S

siouxsie

I just recieved a sample pack and will be trying them over the weeking. Expect a review on Monday.

Visually, I don't think they made by Derby.
The external packaging may look similar, but the blade itself: the way it is marked, the pick up points (machine handling), different type of machine grease used (I can tell from the smell), and the wrapping paper type are in my opinion - not Derby.

I wonder why they try to conceal their true origins?!
I disagree...the packaging of the tucks is identical to Derby. Also, they smell the same to me at least. As far as the machining I have no idea. Take a look at a wrapped 5 pack of each and tell me the wrapper and white package are not identical. Not that any of this is important, it's just what it is.

Top Bottom