What's new

Bluebird Blades. Just say no.

I am relatively new to Wet shaving and a little over a month ago I purchased a Merkur 34G and a sample pack of blades. This included Feather, Astra, Gillette blue, Persona, Kai, and Bluebird. Since I hadn't heard much about Bluebird, I saved them for last. Well today was the day. I had been using the Gillette for a week and it held up really well. When I put in the Bluebird it gave a worse shave than the week old Gillette. I may try one more out of the pack just to see if it was a bad blade, but if that is as bad I will never use one again.

I had the opposite experience. Bluebird + Merkur 20c = one of the smoothest combinations I have tried. But every face is different, so of course YMMV. That's why sampler packs are so worthwhile. Hopefully your next blade yields a better experience.

I've never tried Bluebird, but I've never noticed any difference in shaves with any blade. I think folks should just buy 100 blades of anything and shave until their technique is OK.

+1

I have found that any differences between blade of major brands are really minimal. Is it sharp? Does it efficiently cut hair? Then it's good to go in my book.

Some blades don't last as long as others, but almost all of them are totally acceptable for a 2-3 shaves.

Bluebird blades by the way, are basically Derby blades under a different name. Derby blades don't get a lot of love, but I have never had any issues with them. They work just fine for me for 3-4 shaves, just like any other blade.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I find the BlueBirds very nice shavers. Give them a another chance. If after that you find them to be no good, move on. There are many more brands out there for testing.

I recently used some bluebirds and found them to be good blades. Maybe you got a bad one or maybe your technique was off when you tried them.

I have on occasion got a bad pack of blades (Trig). I was ready to ditch them and gave another pack a try and found they were quite good.

The worst shave I ever had was a Bluebird. I'm going to own up that most of that was me - I was in a hurry and not paying attention to technique. I stopped doing that - shaving in a hurry. But, I never bought another Bluebird again either.

Although my main blades are Gillette Yellows and Perma-sharp Supers, Bluebirds give me very nice change-of-pace shaves. I'm using one this week.

I am relatively new to Wet shaving and a little over a month ago I purchased a Merkur 34G and a sample pack of blades. This included Feather, Astra, Gillette blue, Persona, Kai, and Bluebird. Since I hadn't heard much about Bluebird, I saved them for last. Well today was the day. I had been using the Gillette for a week and it held up really well. When I put in the Bluebird it gave a worse shave than the week old Gillette. I may try one more out of the pack just to see if it was a bad blade, but if that is as bad I will never use one again.

Had a similar experience when I started traditional wet shaving. The again, it wasn't much different regardless of the blade I used. Over time, my shaves got much better, presumably attributable to an improvement in technique. Revisitied the Bluebid not that long ago and got terrific shaves, Unfortunately the opportunity to buy them in quantity passed.

I tried another blade out of the pack and it was better than the first one. However, it did seem like one edge of the blade was rougher than the other. This blade lasted two days before I tossed it. I was shaving half my face with a feather in my Gillette Super adjustable set on 4 with a 4 day old blade and got a smoother better shave than with the fresh BlueBird in my Merkur 34G. And, as I said, one edge of the blade seemed significantly better than the other. Someone above mentioned that the same factory makes Derby blades and that some people like them and some hate them. I wonder if it is a quality control problem?

Top Bottom