What's new

Bluebeards Revenge Cut-Throat Razor [shavette]

Recently I bought the Bluebeards Revenge Cut-Throat Razor.
For some reason the shaves are not good.
Feels like the blades are tugging. Angle is good as far as I can see.
The blades I've used are Wilkinson Classic and Derby Premium half blade, soap Proraso white.
The same blades in a DE safety razor are smooth (Derby ofcourse the DE version).
I strech my skin and make short strokes on my cheeks.
Is it my technique? Or are those blades not the best for this razor?

It is difficult to comment without knowing more about your shaving, so I am making some assumptions here....but I would recommend that you:
1) Lather at least one minute longer. I do not know your lather prep technique, but adding at least another minute to work a wet lather into your beard should help to soften the whiskers even more. Certainly it will not hurt.
2) Continue to use short strokes, but don't be too tentative. That shavette looks lightweight compared to a DE razor so some force is needed to cut. As long as the blade is nearly parallel to the face, you should not have much worry about cutting yourself as you slowly increase the speed/pace of the cutting edge. Once you have the right feel for blade speed + light touch on your cheeks, then you will gain confidence to better shave your jawline and below the jaw.

That said, I do find that a DE bladed shavette can feel slightly more tuggy sometimes. Not anything bad, but more so than when using a DE razor. That might be related to how most DE razor heads bend the DE blade giving it more rigidity when compared to being loaded into a shavette. The Feather Artist Club system using thicker blades feels more solid.

Recently I bought the Bluebeards Revenge Cut-Throat Razor.
For some reason the shaves are not good.
Feels like the blades are tugging. Angle is good as far as I can see.
The blades I've used are Wilkinson Classic and Derby Premium half blade, soap Proraso white.
The same blades in a DE safety razor are smooth (Derby ofcourse the DE version).
I strech my skin and make short strokes on my cheeks.
Is it my technique? Or are those blades not the best for this razor?

The Wilkinson Classics are great blades and should be fantastic in that shavette.
If you are new to this style of shaving I would suggest a very wet lather - near dripping.
A thick lather commonly used in DE shaving has no place here for this style of shaving.

Reactions: CCR
Thx.
The near dripping lather I will try next time.
1 solution I found was to keep the razor as close as possible to my face, that worked.
For now I can shave my cheeks and neck. Under my nose and chin I need to practice more.
But the most important is that I like this way of shaving.

Thx.
The near dripping lather I will try next time.
1 solution I found was to keep the razor as close as possible to my face, that worked.
For now I can shave my cheeks and neck. Under my nose and chin I need to practice more.
But the most important is that I like this way of shaving.

Definitely keep the angle low, stretch the skin well and a nice wet lather all after a shower or similar prep.

Top Bottom