What's new

Blue labs and feathers

Hi! How are you? Newbie here. Kinda. I am gonna make this short and simple. Razor: ej3one6. When i use feather blades i get tiny weepers on my neck area which is understandable. I finally got to use a personna blue and got weepers in my goatee area. Question: is there a middle man between these two blades?

Try blade.com. Get a sample pack or pick some out and just give them a try. Probably be some guys on here and give you specifics to try

Thank you for the response. I do have the blade package of random blades i heard were good from try a blade. I just wanted to see if anyones response matched any blades i sampled out.

I think Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet and 7 O'clock Yellow blades fall in between Feathers and Personna Blue blades and are excellent in sharpness and smoothness IMO. Nacets are my current favorite. The most comfortable blades I've found so far are Treet Dura-Sharp carbon steel blades, but they are too mild for some of my more aggressive razors; should work fine in yours and might be worth trying. I only get two shaves per blade though, as opposed to 3 or 4 from the others, but they are all affordable blades.

When you are new, Feathers can be a bit unforgiving, so it might be good to save those for later. That said, blades don't give you weepers. You give yourself weepers. After you have gotten more experienced, you probably won't get weepers very often. Usually, weepers come about from things like using too much pressure,doing too many passes., or using inadequate lather.

Maybe you can try a good middle-of-the-road blade like Astra, Israeli Personna or German Wilkinson Sword to work with for awhile. Try not to change your equipment too often. Try to stay with the same setup for a few weeks at a time, and just focus on getting a better shave with that setup. Then, later on you can change just one thing at a time. The quality of your shaves will improve with practice.

I think Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet and 7 O'clock Yellow blades fall in between Feathers and Personna Blue blades and are excellent in sharpness and smoothness IMO. Nacets are my current favorite. The most comfortable blades I've found so far are Treet Dura-Sharp carbon steel blades, but they are too mild for some of my more aggressive razors; should work fine in yours and might be worth trying. I only get two shaves per blade though, as opposed to 3 or 4 from the others, but they are all affordable blades.
I think those Gillette silver blue might be a smooth one for the OP too.

So you might Google razor blade sharpness test. Not so sure about putting links on here but if you look through there you'll find a chart of sorts with his testing showing the sharpness of blades to start with and through a couple of tests ( might be a couple of uses I forget).
You may have already checked out that site but it's pretty nifty.
My try a personna red

As already mentioned - try a mid-level blade, such as the Astra SP - they're highly regarded by nearly everyone. Stick with one blade for several weeks and establish a solid shaving technique - this comes with practice & repetition. There's plenty of time to jump from blade-to-blade later when you have more well-defined experience.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Gillette Yellow might be a good choice. Understand that a blade cannot give you weepers, only incorrect technique. It's almost always bad razor angle, too much pressure - or some combination of both.

You certainly want to find a blade that works for you, but you might also want to experiment a bit with blade angle/pressure.

Just want to thank everyone for their opinions. (Especially for people who went into detail) im very impressed. Im gonna try silver blue or wilkenson sword next.

Blades are such a personal thing. I don’t like astras or GSB and everyone seems to love both. Perma sharps are my go to. I like voskhod too.

I own a 100 sleeve of astras. I used them in my rockwell 2c plate 3. Then i experimented with feathers with some knowledge and i liked them more. (Thought you had to be crazy to use) im starting to think maybe its the weight of the actual razor. The 3one6 comes with feather. Maybe theres some science behind it? This may have been a better post. I do get weepers on my lower neck using feathers (and astras) but i used those lab blues and now i get weepers on the goatee area. (Irony)I understand the technique; im not denying that fact but *** this has to be one of the best/worst hobbies. All said and done... A little doo wop and a shave. Best part of the week. Oh and sinatra and kensurfs. Nickshaves kevy paulh. Ps make sure to clear the runways.

Feather blades and Personna Lab blues are very different blades in how they react.

Feather blades are extremely sharp out of the package. However, the edge deteriorates very quickly. My beard is tough and my face is sensitive. I can get two good shaves from Feathers, but by the third shave, the edge has deteriorated to the point my skin can no longer tolerate them.

Personna Lab blues have a thick "Comfort Coating". I find that they are not quite sharp enough to deal with my tough beard on the first shave, but as the coating wears off, they become significantly sharper. If they are sharp enough for you on the 1st shave, watch out on subsequent shaves as they might "bite you".

It may be that a mid-sharp blade may work for you. Astra SP blades are not quite sharp enough for me, but many people with less coarse beards love them. Some other blades that you might want to consider are: 7 O'Clock Stainless (Russian Greens), Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver, Gillette branded Wilkinson Sword from India or China, 7 O'Clock Sharpedge (Russian yellows), Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod, Shark Platinum, Lord Platinum and Parker.

They best way to try some of these blades is to purchase a sampler pack with a tuck of blades from a dozen or more different brands. DE blade choice is a very personal thing as preferences vary depending upon the toughness of your beard, the sensitivity of your skin, the aggressiveness of your razor, and the quality of your technique (shave angle, shave pressure, preshave preparation, and lather quality). I have a variety of razors varying from very mild to very aggressive. I can use all of them successfully as long as I pair the right blade in the razor. I understand that the 3ONE6 is a moderately aggressive razor. Thus, with proper technique, you should be able to get great shaves with most blades as long as your technique is excellent. Sometime when using a new razor, it takes a while to find the proper technique.

Top Bottom