What's new

Blowout After 12 Years, H.L. Thater RIP

This was the only brush I used almost daily for the last 12 years, an H.L. Thater olive wood handle with a super badger knot. I was face lathering today, and the center of the knot popped out.
Lately (before the blowout), I was thinking of refinishing the handle since the wood was starting to look dull, and I noticed it was shedding a bit more than usual. Well, here I am with a potential project.

I will try to get the remainder of the knot out and measure the socket. I will then be able to refinish the handle and order a new knot.
Maggard's has badger knots available. Does anyone have experience with those? I am open to suggestions on other knot suppliers as well.

I ordered a Simpson Trafalgar T3 to use in the meantime.

IMG_4178.jpeg

Maggards has 24mm or 26mm SHD Fan knots. I love them. I've set 6 or 8 of them over the years. One of my favorite knots for the price. Lots of companies will sell you knots. As said above, A Shavemac is great too. I have the 01 series knot. Their knots or so dense I don't know how they get all the hairs in them. But you are going to pay a lot more for it. I've also bought china knots on eBay and had good luck. Not my fav, but decent knots. You have to take a chance as it might shed.

I recommend the SHD! Hands down. Your brush had a great run. You can't complain about 12 years.

It looks like the Maggard SHD knots are consistent pleasers. Being that this is uncharted territory for me - removing the remains of the old knot, preparing the socket for the new knot, and refreshing the finish on the handle - the price point of the Maggard knots makes it a safe way to go.
I am waiting for the Simpson Trafalgar to arrive before going for the old knot removal; there might be enough hair left to get some lather up... maybe. I will then be able to get an idea if I should proceed with ordering a new knot. I will update you as this project progresses. Thank you all for the input.
Here are a couple of follow-up photos of what it looks like after it dried out and I picked out the loose hairs.

IMG_4187 2.jpg
IMG_4188.jpg

Last year I had Rudy replace a 3-band knot in a Rooney 3/1 handle with a Shavemac 2-band. There was nothing wrong with the knot, but it hadn't been used in 6-7 years, after I got into 2-bands. I still liked the handle, so I had Rudy replace the knot. The brush now gets more use more than my 2-band Thaters.

I have purchased several knots from Maggards, synthetic, two band finest, and silvertip. It is my favorite source for 26 mm two band finest. I have not tried the SHD and probably never will because I have been so absolutely pleased with the regular one. I can't imagine the SHD being any better although many here have told me I'm missing out.

I finished a brush a few weeks ago with their two band finest with the intention of giving it to my son. I have test lathered and test shaved with it and I believe he will be delighted.

I think you would be happy with any knot they offer.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I have gotten knots from Larry over at Whipped dog a few times and have been happy every time. I've tried a few of the silvertip ones in various sizes and loved every one, but recently ordered (and received) on of his hmv, but have yet to try it out.

Maggards has 24mm or 26mm SHD Fan knots. I love them. I've set 6 or 8 of them over the years. One of my favorite knots for the price. Lots of companies will sell you knots. As said above, A Shavemac is great too. I have the 01 series knot. Their knots or so dense I don't know how they get all the hairs in them. But you are going to pay a lot more for it. I've also bought china knots on eBay and had good luck. Not my fav, but decent knots. You have to take a chance as it might shed.

I recommend the SHD! Hands down. Your brush had a great run. You can't complain about 12 years.
I'll echo the comment on the Maggard SHD knots. As someone on this forum has frequently said, "they punch well above their weight." I have several Shavemac knots, mostly from Mr. Rudy Vey's workshop.

Top Bottom