What's new

Blown away by Omega 011829

OK, so this brush was my first purchase made in search of a boar brush which has quality handle with good heft feel without going overboard in weight and a loft that is neither high nor too stubby. I am Omega bristle fan but find their cheap and tacky looking handles absolute rubbish especially in Economy and Pro series. The only handle I liked and which (to my mind) was better constructed then many other plastic moulded handles, was an Omega 20102 with Ash wood handle.
As first Pit stop I naturally wanted to wean information if Omega uses different types of bristles for premium range v/s economy or Pro range and email directly to Pennellificio Omega S.p.A.

Here are their responses.
Da: _______ <[email protected]>
Inviato: lunedì 3 giugno 2019 13:11
A: Export office - Pennellificio Omega S.p.A. <[email protected]>
Oggetto: New Request from Omega brush Website: Shaving

Subject: Shaving
Company: personal query
Email: _______@____.com
State: India

I wanted to ask you how your omega 011842/ 011829 is different from other Omega brushes in terms of bristle type used. I understand that the handle is custom made for UK but what is special about the bristles used in this model? Are they natural and untreated? Are they same bristle found in knot of 20102? Why they are called premium? Do the 011842/ 011829 bristles come from a special part of pig like shoulder, or ear or near mouth?

I like 011829 very much and I want to experience the same boar hair or knot in another model of omega brush. Please tell me which other omega model use same knot and type of boar bristles.
Sincerely,

They replied next day:

From: Export office - Pennellificio Omega S.p.A. <[email protected]>
Sent: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 14:27:43 GMT+0530
To: "____@_____.com" <_____@______.com>
Subject: R: New Request from Omega brush Website: Shaving

Hello Raj,
The handle is customized for UK but the hair is our standard one so you can definitely try a different hog bristle hair SKU from OMEGA.
20102 is my favorite hog bristle hair brush: it won’t disappoint you

Raoul Giovanetti
Export Department
Pennellificio Omega S.p.A.
Tel. +39 051 530.165 - Fax +39 051 535.561

I did got a fair idea what the gentleman is saying but just to get some more clarity I replied back as under;

Dear Mr.Giovanetti,

Thank you for replying.
If I correctly understand, you are saying that all hog bristles are same in all the different Omega SKUs?
I have tried pro 48 and 49 but I did not like the cheap plastic handles on them and loft was too high. In search of good handle I bought 20102 which I also like very much.
Recently I bought a 011829 because of a nice and heavy resin handle. I want to see Omega make more SKUs in heavy quality handles with untreated hog bristles and shorter loft.
Thanks again.

They replied very promptly:

Hello Raj,
The raw material quality is the same for all of our hog bristle shaving brushes. The only thing which can change is the length, out of the ring. It’s true, we have not resin handles with hog bristle hair in our range but only 21762.
21762 Pennello da barba Omega in pura setola - Omega Brush
Omega 21762 - Pennello da barba in pura setola con manico in resina "Bandiera Italiana"

Regards
Raoul Giovanetti
Export Department
Pennellificio Omega S.p.A.
Tel. +39 051 530.165 - Fax +39 051 535.561
www.omegabrush.com
www.viabarberia.com

This is what it looked like when I saw it first time, it looked kind of short loft and longish handle in comparison but the weight at 85ish gram was just spot on for me. It was comfortable to hold and that medallion looked very stylish for a ‘premium’ Omega.
omega-boar-hair-shaving-brush-011829-jade-resin-0111-1633.jpg
As an old longtime boar user (it was only a Semogue that had me perplexed with breaking in drama) I just ran this brush through a couple of usual soak, lather and dry cycles. After a good soak the brush doesn’t have the backbone of a car jack and in spite of my email exchange with the maker I am not really buying that this brush has same standard type bristles. As a reference point, a longer lofted 20102 does feel stiffer with same soak time.
But in the end it is all good, this is picture of my first shave lather. It is still breaking in but an absolute delight in term of usability. The knot is fairly dense and seems to be packed with thinner bristles. In comparison my 20102 knot has thicker hair and feels much heavier in a like to like 27mm knot. The ‘sparsely’ bristled knot of 011829 make it easy work of whipping lather. After 5 shaves there was just one prickly black sheep bristle I had to purge and rest of the knot is turning into a gold swan nicely. Knot seems to be sitting a bit deeper than other Omegas and there is hardly any glue bump to feel at the bottom.
IMG_20190529_225242_hdr.jpg
There is no crazy road-kill like bloom and backbone can be appreciatively felt by the way knot is sat. Due to enough backbone the lather does not slip down the crown of knot like a ring and stay well on and around the top, ably supported by bristles. I have never seen a boar breaking in this fast and the knot feel wonderful without any prickly hair. I did not use any other method to assist hair split and there are few already splitting. I am in no rush and that is how (in my personal opinion) a boar should be used.

The handle is solid resin and turned on lathe. Jade green is a true Jade and not a green colored handles passed off as jade. I like the handle shape and design over many other shave brush handles I have used before. It looks simple and feels very ergonomic to hold. I have medium sized hands and only a tiny bit whine I have is; if they had shaved down the bottom curve by just 1 more MM, it would be gold. I have a feeling that this brush might be perhaps the only model I will buy as a future back-up but I am going to visit that idea only by the end of this year.

I would certainly recommend this brush, if you not into big lofts, like a better handle than plastic mould, want a classy looking brush and don’t mind spending a little extra. Some people don’t like the kitschy looking medallion but I find it little cute. As an overall package I am glad I pulled the trigger on this one.

As usual, the musings, recommendations, measurements all remains pretty much from the seat of pants and a big YMMV. Thanks for reading.

Nothing wrong with the badge as it is. Classy and old school. This trend of putting coins on the bottom of the brush where it will get scratched and never seen makes less sense to me.

As previously noted, Connaught sells this w/o the medallion. I have two of 'em. They do have several dark guide hairs, but they split like the light bristles with a few uses. And yes, the handle waist could be a bit trimmer. Outstanding brush! Great value, a joy to use.

Nothing wrong with the badge as it is. Classy and old school. This trend of putting coins on the bottom of the brush where it will get scratched and never seen makes less sense to me.
Now that you mentioned it never occurred to me what good it is to have something at bottom only to get it scratched. The medallion looks classy and it's just a matter of taking it out with nose pliers and deepening the socket with a hobby etching pen and gluing the thing back, flushed with main body.
I swear I have no idea what this italian guy is talking about.
Luckily I had it figured out. It comes naturally when two people converse in English when they both are non native english speakers :001_005:
Great looking brush! :a14::a14:
Thanks! BigJ it isn't a Rooney or Simpson but it has great value proposition.
As previously noted, Connaught sells this w/o the medallion. I have two of 'em. They do have several dark guide hairs, but they split like the light bristles with a few uses. And yes, the handle waist could be a bit trimmer. Outstanding brush! Great value, a joy to use.
I specifically sought out old stock from other vendor who carried the one with medallion. Guide hair will too come around in a while but the one I culled was pretty thick and poked a lot. It is going great and yes, it has good ROI for what it is.

Thanks for sharing the email trail and your thorough review! I agree with your remarks. It could be that the difference in the backbone is due to the density of the knot or variations between bristle batches. Mine has comparable backbone to my 10098.

In terms of premium boar brushes IMO you hit the bullseye with your first one. I'm glad you like it, it surely is my favorite, too! :)

Last edited:
I tend to believe Mr. Giovannetti when he says: "The raw material quality is the same for all of our hog bristle shaving brushes".

I mean, I think there are no "premium" and "regular" Omega bristles. The difference is determined by density, loft and, last but not least, the quality of batches from China. Being myself Italian and knowing well enough the dynamics of an Italian little-to-medium factory in the last two decades, I firmly believe they don't care to differentiate lines based on the quality of the bristles. They have quality control, of course, but when a bristle is good enough for production, that's it (and if it's good enough for Omega standards, it's good enough for mine).

When a vendor (Connaught in this case) interested in a custom brush set to his preferences (an Omega brush with a nice handle? Yes please! An Omega brush not that huge with plenty of backbone? Please give me more!), ask Omega to produce it, they will reply:- "whatever you want, the MOQ is 500 pieces, choose a handle from our catalog (in 11829 case an existing Omega silvertip) and tell us the size of the knot and how deep we have to set it".
That's a premium brush to me because of the nice resin turned handle and the knot set where I like it.

Then there are others sellers (may I name them? Abbate Y La Mantia) that simply ask Omega to paint the 11137 purple and call it "Premium" and make it pay three times what Connaught sells their "11829". That's not a "Premium" brush to me.

In Italy, we have other sellers who ask Omega to rebrand their brushes. Proraso is the most famous example. We also have "Goodfella's smile" who opted to customize an Omega 49 by making the loft shorter by a couple of millimeters. It's a wonderful brush if you ask me and I paid for it less of what Omega charges for their regular brushes.
If the same "Goodfella's smile" knot was set in a nice resin turned handle I would have called it "super premium" and I would have gladly paid $40 instead of the $5 (4.49 euros) price tag.

Congratulations. Thanks for the email too. However, there is certainly clear differences in bristle quality between different batches because i have 2 of the same model and the bristles are most definitely NOT the same quality.

Exactly, my previous Omega-made Proraso brush was stiff like a new broom. The latest I have received is soft and broken in out of the box. If it is not all, much is in the batch.

It's a beauty!!

I had purchased a few premium boars from connaught years ago.
They discontinued all but the jade green.
I really regret selling my premium boars off :(

Great service for Raoul to respond like that. I'm with him on the 20102. That's a wonderful brush. I beefed up the backbone on mine with a couple of 27 mm o-rings. It gives a nice massage that way and there is no scritch at all. I do believe that the Connaught is softer though. Both nice brushes.
20102.jpg

@Sotiris_A I may have hit the bullseye but the enabler is @Chan Eil Whiskers as he referred this brush often which piqued my interest in this model. I was apprehensive of such short loft because my 20102 with 60mm loft can hoist a mini car when dry.
Thanks @mata_66 for the insider info about production criteria. It makes sense and why not when wet shaving is a small time hobby for a negligible male population, who would care for standardised QC.

@Sotiris_A I may have hit the bullseye but the enabler is @Chan Eil Whiskers as he referred this brush often which piqued my interest in this model. I was apprehensive of such short loft because my 20102 with 60mm loft can hoist a mini car when dry.
Thanks @mata_66 for the insider info about production criteria. It makes sense and why not when wet shaving is a small time hobby for a negligible male population, who would care for standardised QC.

Haha, exactly the same story. I was enjoying my Semogue 830, but browsing through the legendary Damn Comfortable Shave thread was enough to trigger the "landslide".

Why on earth would I have a Mondial otherwise?:D

That’s what kills me about omega. They have so many brushes, there’s always a new one convincing me to try them again. But I’ve had such bad luck with them. I do miss my mixed midget a little tho, and this brush looks right up my alley.

Great brush,... I ordered it about a week ago still hasn’t come in yet(from Connaught) , although mine does not have the medallion like yours. I can’t wait to get it. Great review of the Omega brush as well.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
OK, so this brush was my first purchase made in search of a boar brush which has quality handle with good heft feel without going overboard in weight and a loft that is neither high nor too stubby...Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the super informative post.

I would never have dreamed my brush did not have a particularly unique knot. In fact, I'm not sure if I believe Omega because it's clear to me the knot in my brush is far better than most boar knots.

6-9-19.RedInjun.Boker.Kit.Jade.Valencia.640.JPG

Why anyone dislikes the medallion is beyond me. I like how it looks and don't notice it at all when I'm using the brush.

I remain convinced this is the finest boar brush made. At least mine is. Maybe I got lucky and got a special pig.

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

There's a reason I win this award month after month, but your post tells me you have great potential as an enabler.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks for the super informative post.

I would never have dreamed my brush did not have a particularly unique knot. In fact, I'm not sure if I believe Omega because it's clear to me the knot in my brush is far better than most boar knots.

View attachment 991091

Why anyone dislikes the medallion is beyond me. I like how it looks and don't notice it at all when I'm using the brush.

I remain convinced this is the finest boar brush made. At least mine is. Maybe I got lucky and got a special pig.

View attachment 991092

There's a reason I win this award month after month, but your post tells me you have great potential as an enabler.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yes, I would of ordered the Omega Jade brush with the medallion on it IF it was available,... Connaught just carried the one without.. No big deal to me as it’s more about the performance rather than visual

Top Bottom