What's new

Blood Pressure Meds

Three years ago a suffered a brain aneurysm and then a stroke while I was on the operation table.i still dont have full mobility of my rt hand. My blood pressure had been med high for years. Always being monitored. Who knows why I had a aneurysm. But I know that my blood pressure didn't help. Take care of yourselves.

My wife was on blood pressure medication and cholesterol medication.....until I pointed out that one of the side effects of the cholesterol medication was high blood pressure. She had to make a choice and she chose to stay on the blood pressure medication. Her blood pressure spikes erratically. My point is that if you are also on cholesterol medication, check it out and make sure that the cholesterol medication isn't contributing to your high blood pressure.
Thanks for the info, vacman. I'll bring that up at my next checkup with the cardio. If I can reduce the pill count by even one, that's a plus. I've also learned that doctors are not always aware of drug interactions. That's not a criticism, merely an observation. Back to my original premise...take care of your heart while it's healthy. It's easier.

Thanks for the info, vacman. I'll bring that up at my next checkup with the cardio. If I can reduce the pill count by even one, that's a plus. I've also learned that doctors are not always aware of drug interactions. That's not a criticism, merely an observation. Back to my original premise...take care of your heart while it's healthy. It's easier.

True, In this case, my wife wouldn't believe the info I had found so I suggested that she ask the pharmacist. She did and his immediate answer was that it was a safe drug but he checked it online. What he found was that 18% of the people who took the drug had elevated blood pressure. His statement was that he didn't consider that a "safe" drug. Doctors are too busy to check on every factor and are influenced by the drug peddlers who cll on them. We have to take control of our own health and do some research on our own. There are several websites which gove us drug interaction and side effect information.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
At my physical last year, my blood pressure was a bit high. 135/94. The doc was mostly concerned about the bottom number being over 90. Had me take my bp every day for two weeks and record a log, then a followup visit. The top number came down, but the bottom number stayed over 90. Put me on a low dose of Amlodipine, and it stays right near 120/80 now. Been a year. Check my BP about once a week or so. Been on keto for 5 weeks now, and lost about 20 lbs. So I am keeping a closer eye on it. Looking for any drops well below normal. I should be having another physical in the next month or so. If the doc takes me off the bp meds, that would be good. If not, it seems to be a low risk medication.

For those of you in your 40's & 50's my recommendation is that you start monitoring your bp, not necessarily daily weekly or even monthly,but occasionally. If near 125/75 and above watch closer.

Good advice but I would start younger. Genetics is important as well. My father had a heart attack at 40.

Mine was last year at the ripe old age of 42.

Keep an eye out on these things. It can happen to anyone.

A slight pivot -

I thought it was pre law.

What's the difference?
Interestingly, I did pre-law and am a Lawyer.

I am lawyer as well but I believe the quote in question is a classic from Animal House.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Good advice but I would start younger. Genetics is important as well. My father had a heart attack at 40.

Mine was last year at the ripe old age of 42.

Keep an eye out on these things. It can happen to anyone.

A slight pivot -

I am lawyer as well but I believe the quote in question is a classic from Animal House.
Thank you.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My wife eats right, does yoga and weighs 115lbs at 42 yrs old. She’s on lisinopril (10mg) twice a day and it keeps it from stroke level. I’m 45, eat like a billy goat, weigh 180 and my worst ever was 138/90, and that’s only at the docs office which is white coat syndrome since it’s 118/78 at home. My family never had any real issues with BP but hers did.

Decades went by being overweight and the doctor never finding any problems. There came a point in my late 40's or early 50's where my face was looking red like a devil and being cut off in traffic was causing my heart to race for far too long. Still somehow I never made the connection. I applied for life insurance after changing jobs and was declined after their nurse checked me out and they told me to go to my doctor. I did. Seems my decades long streak of luck had ended and my blood pressure was dangerously high.

It does sneak up on you. I changed my lifestyle quite a bit and have halved the medication last year. . . hoping to eliminate the rest sometime this year with weight loss and exercise.

Only sick people go to doctors eh? I think everybody should be getting at least an annual checkup.

HBP runs in my mom's side of the family. My mom, my 2 sisters and myself are on HBP meds. Better to be safe than sorry. Yes, diet and exercise do help but genetics still wins out. My BIL was in his 20's when he was diagnosed with hypertension. He was thin and physically active. Tried low sodium diet to control HBP. He just thought he was too young to have take medication, but dieting alone did not significantly lower his HBP. After much brow beating from his doctor and my sister, he caved in and took the meds. He is still with us after 40 years.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
HBP runs in my mom's side of the family. My mom, my 2 sisters and myself are on HBP meds. Better to be safe than sorry. Yes, diet and exercise do help but genetics still wins out. My BIL was in his 20's when he was diagnosed with hypertension. He was thin and physically active. Tried low sodium diet to control HBP. He just thought he was too young to have take medication, but dieting alone did not significantly lower his HBP. After much brow beating from his doctor and my sister, he caved in and took the meds. He is still with us after 40 years.
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom