What's new

Blood Pressure Meds

I have been on blood pressure meds for years and hopefully in the next few months due to lifestyle changes I will be off of them with the docs blessing. With that said a coworker's relative decided he would wean himself off and stopped taking his medication. It didn't go well and he stroked out Saturday. His wife made the decision to remove him from life support today. This is the second time I have see this happen and the results were the same. High blood pressure is nothing to mess with and taking meds as prescribed is essential. If you are on any type of medication please consult your doctor before making changes.

When I turned 40 I was diagnosed with hypertension. I lost some weight and put on lisinopril. I have been on it for 13 years now. Overall, this class of drugs are safe for most people. Hypertension was on both sides of my family. Also, I have a wife and two daughters that both moved back home after graduating from college. I will never get off the drug.

I sell legal drugs for a living. I believe you listen to your doctor. If you want to get off the drug, talk with him or her about if it is safe or not.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you have any questions regarding your medication consult your local honemeister, said no doctor ever.

I stopped mine about 2 years ago- worst mistake ever. The headaches I was feeling would last for 2 to 3 days at a time. Eventually, I stopped being stupid and got back on em. Best decision ever.

I've been on BP meds since my mid 30s. It has to be hereditary. I don't eat the worst in the world (nor the best), I'm about as far from a stressed person as it gets, I'm a runner, and I certainly don't smoke. My BP just runs high. Even with the HCTZ and regular exercise, a year or so ago, it went wonky up to something like 159/115. The docs freaked and asked how I hadn't keeled over. I just keep plugging along with no issues. My meds changed, and I'm good to go again.

Ain't. Dead. Yet.

Listen to your doctors.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I stopped mine about 2 years ago- worst mistake ever. The headaches I was feeling would last for 2 to 3 days at a time. Eventually, I stopped being stupid and got back on em. Best decision ever.
I thought it was pre law.

What's the difference?

I take 5 pills a day for high blood pressure. Have been for many years. I thought about cutting back on a couple last year but then I was afraid to.

Gents - go view the ketogenic thread and read. Doc was going to put me on some meds to control my high numbers and I then transitioned to a ketogenic way of eating. Blood pressure is perfectly normal now. Check it out. Might keep some of you off the meds.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There is a very good reason why high blood pressure is called "the silent killer." If you are on meds, please stay on them. If you aren't, be sure to monitor your blood pressure regularly, even if only a few times each year. If it's high, go see someone.

I have a genetic kidney disease that has a side effect of heart issues, high blood pressure being one of them. I got a transplant 3&1/2 years ago. I had been taking meds for high blood pressure for 20 years. Now more meds because of the transplant. My brother had the same disease , but he wouldn't see a doctor. Ten years ago he died from a heart attack. I attempted CPR but it was no use.
Point is, see a doctor and stick to the meds. Don't stop taking them just because you feel better

Last time I went to the doc I was 100/60. I take norvasc and hydrochlothiazide. I thought about stopping but did that once before and got the tell tell head tingling. I can live with the meds. By the way, I love norvasc.

I feel very fortunate in having excellent blood pressure, according to my GP.
I credit shaving, aimless guitar noodling, feeding the birds in my back yard, and (if in season) watching ducklings in the wild.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This thread could save a life. I'm a nurse. I joke, a lot, too much actually. But hypertension kills, or worse, leaves your body dead and your brain alive. Found out this week I have a serious health concern, life changing. I had a small frontal lobe stroke 10ish years ago. Enlightening to say the least. Enjoy every moment. Tomorrow is not promised.

My wife eats right, does yoga and weighs 115lbs at 42 yrs old. She’s on lisinopril (10mg) twice a day and it keeps it from stroke level. I’m 45, eat like a billy goat, weigh 180 and my worst ever was 138/90, and that’s only at the docs office which is white coat syndrome since it’s 118/78 at home. My family never had any real issues with BP but hers did.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My wife eats right, does yoga and weighs 115lbs at 42 yrs old. She’s on lisinopril (10mg) twice a day and it keeps it from stroke level. I’m 45, eat like a billy goat, weigh 180 and my worst ever was 138/90, and that’s only at the docs office which is white coat syndrome since it’s 118/78 at home. My family never had any real issues with BP but hers did.
My professional opinion: change nothing. You picked your grand parents well.

Top Bottom