What's new

Blind edge test! Ugly razors, fine finishes.

Anyone else in the US interested in testing four? Got one more set of 4 ready to go.

I've come up with a November madness bracket system, need 2 more testers for first bracket, then 1 tester for 2nd, 1 tester for 3rd, and if Tanuki is willing, I'd let him judge the final four. So need 4 more testers total. Sinnbad and Global Dev are welcome to volunteer for second or 3rd bracket also.

im up for some more fun later, sign me up.

Alright, So I need one more tester for round 1 (now) and 1 for either round 2 or 3, assuming no one else who's already involved wants that position also.

Global and Christians razors are packed and will be mailed today.

USPS still hasn't scanned Sinnbads razors... which were mailed last Thursday... so fingers crossed they get their act together soon.

Sinnbad's razors finally got scanned (in Trenton, NJ) yesterday.

Still need 1 more US tester for the first round. Have 4 razors left and ready to go.

Then I'll need 1 US tester for either second or third round.

However you feel best testing them.

They're numbered 2,3,4,5 if memory serves. Maybe 2v3 then 4v5 then winners round, then losers round, then everyone faces the razor they haven't faced yet and then you can give your feedback? But really just pick which way you think will give you the most meaningful comparison between them all.

just picked up my 4 at the mailbox - here's the lineup

Raven 105
Supplee Biddle Howe Co
Philadephia, PA
1/2
Silver King
Best Silver Steel
---Full
Zaliel 20
Worlds Best Razor
Solingen1/2
"..Or Cutlery Co"
---some city, GA
1/2

not sure if I am going to take a peek at the edges or just use 'em.

just picked up my 4 at the mailbox - here's the lineup

Raven 105
Supplee Biddle Howe Co
Philadephia, PA
1/2
Silver King
Best Silver Steel
---Full
Zaliel 20
Worlds Best Razor
Solingen1/2
"..Or Cutlery Co"
---some city, GA
1/2

not sure if I am going to take a peek at the edges or just use 'em.

I wouldn't be able to help myself.
I would HAVE to look through the scope prior to shaving.
It really wouldn't change anything for me.
Good luck!

First Shave finished

Protocol: Dried off oil with paper towel,
stropping: ~20/30 laps linen/black latigo
soap/brush: Wholly Kaw King of Oud/26mm mixed badger/boar

Shave 3 passes:

Pass 1: N-S razor 1 on right half, razor 2 on left half
Pass 2: N-S razor 2 on right half, razor 1 on left half
Pass 2: Face (nose-to-ear) & Neck (S-N) /razor 1 on right half, razor 2 on second half

Clean/dry razors and linen/leather strop (10/5). Store outside of bathroom with 68*F pretty dry air.

Both edges felt well done, happy to have completed the shave with them.

Raven edge felt a more transparent and slightly keener. felt no real personality "talking" to me
Zaliel edge felt slightly more soft, more mellow, maybe slightly less keen. this had a bit of personality but just a bit.

I feel like this was a draw in terms of result, the winner depends on mood and for real the winner of these two I would have liked an edge for this shave in the middle of these two. Maybe i'd give the nod to the Raven, hard to decide.

I will use the other two tomorrow and come back to these 2 after.

Wooooo! Results. I was starting to go through withdrawal.

Still need 2 more US testers... cmon people.

Spoken like a man who has shaved with a "Shave Ready" purchase before. :c1:

I have never purchased a shave ready razor although I have looked at razors I had purchased out of curiosity.
It would have to be an outstanding looking edge on the microscope for me to consider shaving with someone elses honing, unless of course, I was testing them:)

Shave number 1!
Razor number 2 on the east side
Razor number 3 on the west side

All the razors I recieved were gold dollar 66s with a number scratched into the scales, I'm not sure what happened to number one but I did not receive it, my four are 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Razors were recieved with a coating of oil, they were run under hot water and wiped dry. After that they received 25 laps on flax firehose and 50 on black steer hide.
Shave prep: warm shower hair conditioner applied to beard area
Soap: PAA monstroso with star jelly aftershave.

Pass number one: on 3 days of growth.

Razor two is shaving my left side and razor three is shaving my right side, and to be completely honest neither of these edges did it for me. That being said, one stroke in there was a clear winner as well. Razor number three wasn't sharp enough for me, I have coarse facial hair. It tugged a bit shaving with the grain and it actually missed a few hairs that it passed directly over. Number two was better but there was still a slight tug wtg, it more successfully cut the hairs it encountered though. Some slight angle adjustment and ultimately it was a fairly successful first pass.

The story was much the same for pass 2, razor 3 had some hair clearing issues and razor 2 worked well enough with some slight tug.

My clean up razor, blackland vector, had some work to do on my right side. My left side got to ccs and razor number 2 is the clear winner for me today.

Yeah I’m not too surprised sorry they didn’t perform a little better, as long as you’re able to get a clear ranking out of them don’t feel the need to suffer through multiple shaves from each razor. Just go ahead and do what you can and what you’re comfortable with.

Once you’re happy with your ranking put it up and I’ll do a reveal. If you want I can put you in for round two or three and promise you’re going to get better razors and finishes.

#1 has donated its body to science, determining how I may mod these 4 when I get them back.

Yeah I’m not too surprised sorry they didn’t perform a little better, as long as you’re able to get a clear ranking out of them don’t feel the need to suffer through multiple shaves from each razor. Just go ahead and do what you can and what you’re comfortable with.

Once you’re happy with your ranking put it up and I’ll do a reveal. If you want I can put you in for round two or three and promise you’re going to get better razors and finishes.
I don't mind, I'm curious to see what they are and I'm not worried about a bit of tugging. Do you want me to put comparison shaves up for each razor or just a final ranking at the end?

Comparison shaves would be nice. If you’re pretty confident with what you find, you really will only need to do one more shave unless you want to do more, feel free if you do.

I wanted to trial these gold dollars unmodded, and after I put them in the mail I did some tests on #1 and determined that I probably didn’t put ideal finishes on them for their angles. Hopefully, they are good enough you can at least get some relative rankings out of them.

Comparison shaves would be nice. If you’re pretty confident with what you find, you really will only need to do one more shave unless you want to do more, feel free if you do.

I wanted to trial these gold dollars unmodded, and after I put them in the mail I did some tests on #1 and determined that I probably didn’t put ideal finishes on them for their angles. Hopefully, they are good enough you can at least get some relative rankings out of them.
Ranking number one was easy enough, I'll continue to a final ranking I'm confident in.

First Shave finished

Protocol: Dried off oil with paper towel,
stropping: ~20/30 laps linen/black latigo
soap/brush: Wholly Kaw King of Oud/26mm mixed badger/boar

Shave 3 passes:

Pass 1: N-S razor 1 on right half, razor 2 on left half
Pass 2: N-S razor 2 on right half, razor 1 on left half
Pass 2: Face (nose-to-ear) & Neck (S-N) /razor 1 on right half, razor 2 on second half

Clean/dry razors and linen/leather strop (10/5). Store outside of bathroom with 68*F pretty dry air.

Both edges felt well done, happy to have completed the shave with them.

Raven edge felt a more transparent and slightly keener. felt no real personality "talking" to me
Zaliel edge felt slightly more soft, more mellow, maybe slightly less keen. this had a bit of personality but just a bit.

I feel like this was a draw in terms of result, the winner depends on mood and for real the winner of these two I would have liked an edge for this shave in the middle of these two. Maybe i'd give the nod to the Raven, hard to decide.

I will use the other two tomorrow and come back to these 2 after.

almost 99% same protocol, this time i shared each cheek with each razor on both sides. I can tell if i like an edge on the first pass.

silver king was way smoother than the georgia. Both shaved well enough, but i probably would have wanted to tweak the georgia edge. The previous both felt better to me in my mind.

Top Bottom