What's new

Blind comparison

Has anybody ever done a blind comparison of blades?

When I started out, following the many suggestions I read on this forum, I bought a sample pack to find just which one is the right blade for me. I am not yet done sampling all the blades, although I already found a few that I love (Gillette) and one that I hate (Lord). With that said, I can't help but wonder how I might be biased, in my opinion, by the reviews I read online and by other factors such as brand recognition, packaging, price, etc. Like everybody else, I like to think that I am smarter than that and I won't let my opinion be swayed by factors other than my own, direct experience. Then again, study after study has shown that our opinions are influenced by many irrational factors. After all, before I started wet shaving, I thought that it'd be nearly impossible to tell the difference between a blade and another, since they are all pretty much identical (I no longer hold that opinion). I was wondering, essentially, if anybody has ever tried shaving with different blades, without knowing beforehand what type of blade he was using. Of course, that would require the assistance of another person, unless someone is daring enough to pick a random blade from a pile while blindfolded :001_tongu

Oscroft has been doing blinded comparisons. Do a search and you should be able to find a description of how he has been doing them, as well as the results of at least three comparison tests that he has completed.

Lately, I've been trying to do unbiased tests of blades in pairs in the same type of razors like Oscroft - one shave per OC, TTO, and 3-piece razor. For each iteration I try to use a pair of blades that seem to shave similar way. This way I try to group them in some sort of a manageable list or a scheme of performance.

Top Bottom