What's new

Blasphemy?

I don't know if this is a sin, or blasphemy, but I took the plunge. I started off with a M3 razor, cuz I had a 3 day beard growing, and went for a second pass with my Gillette SS. I have to say that although I'm not BBS for taking only about 10 mins. total... not so bad. I got a pretty gnarly cut right on the tip of my chin, but that's what I deserve for getting a little over-confident on myself. So yeah, I still had to use Gillette gel, but I haven't received my soap and brush yet. (Gee mail takes forever when you really want something.)

So, is it blasphemy? (using both razors together.)

I don't know if this is a sin, or blasphemy, but I took the plunge. I started off with a M3 razor, cuz I had a 3 day beard growing, and went for a second pass with my Gillette SS. I have to say that although I'm not BBS for taking only about 10 mins. total... not so bad. I got a pretty gnarly cut right on the tip of my chin, but that's what I deserve for getting a little over-confident on myself. So yeah, I still had to use Gillette gel, but I haven't received my soap and brush yet. (Gee mail takes forever when you really want something.)

So, is it blasphemy? (using both razors together.)

I always liked the M3. It seemed much harder to clog up than the sensor.

There are some people here who will despise you for using a cartridge razor or a shaving gel, just out of principle.

Ignore them.

And then there are those who will be happy for you that you found a good way to get a decent shave.

Whatever works for you.

Best - MM

Two points:

1) Whatever works for you personally isn't blasphemy. If somehow you figured out that a brush made out of skunk hair and a surgical scalpel could give you everything you wanted out of a shave (whatever that happens to be), then you've found what works for you... the customized, personalized, individual experience is what this is all about. So no, doing something slightly different (against the grain if you will) is never blasphemy around here if it gives you the results you are looking for.

2) That said, if you're just starting out with DE shaving, switching back to the cartridge is just going to hold you back. Until you get your DE technique honed to the point of getting consistent, nick-free, satisfying shaves, try not to mix things up too much. You'll only slow yourself down in that regard if you keep going back to your crutch (your M3).

Two points:

(I snipped the first one out :tongue:)

2) That said, if you're just starting out with DE shaving, switching back to the cartridge is just going to hold you back. Until you get your DE technique honed to the point of getting consistent, nick-free, satisfying shaves, try not to mix things up too much. You'll only slow yourself down in that regard if you keep going back to your crutch (your M3).

I have to second this comment. Try your best to do things the same every time until you get consistently good results. Try using the same brand of blade for the first few weeks (if they work for you anyway), the same cream/soap and the same razor. Basically, you want the only variable to be your technique; and believe me, it'll change. :biggrin:

There are some people here who will despise you for using a cartridge razor or a shaving gel, just out of principle.

Ignore them.

And then there are those who will be happy for you that you found a good way to get a decent shave.

Whatever works for you.

Best - MM

+1. Well said.

Hey! the fellow hasn't received his gear yet. Let him have the real stuff and he may drop the M3.

Of course, even for a cartridge user, there is always something to improve to get that better shave.
I do not despise the cartridges per se: I just think they are overstated by the ads, and as a consequence, overpriced. Sometimes, a cartridge is a better (or the only) choice (hurry, flights…).

heRetiC!!!!!1111

No, just kidding. Seriously what works for you is the best thing.

The adventure is all in trying new things.

Happy Shaving. :thumbsup:

By all means, use what works for you. You may catch a bit of flak, but you will probably be respected and given your own space. Like royalty. Or maybe an undesirable - I'm not sure which.

There's no hurry to purchase blade samples, creams, brushes, etc. until or unless you see the need for them. If you prefer cartridges, use them.

Having said that, though, don't expect many here to sing praises for your choices.

The only person you have to please when it comes to all of this, is yourself.

Do just exactly whatever feels right for you.

I was just wondering what your guy's thoughts were - being in a tweener stage and all, I figured it wouldn't hurt anything. It's really nice to see the mixed responses.

Seriously what works for you is the best thing.

IMO possibly the best shaving advice a person could get :001_smile

If somehow you figured out that a brush made out of skunk hair and a surgical scalpel could give you everything you wanted out of a shave (whatever that happens to be), then you've found what works for you... the customized, personalized, individual experience is what this is all.

The idea of a brush made out of skunk hair is strangely intriguing...

-Ray

Whatever you decide to end up with, giving a DE a try is recommended if for no other reason to help teach you good shaving technique. DE's are much less forgiving than cartridge razors in that you need to be paying attention to your pressure, blade angle, beard grain, and reduction passes. When you learn these methods you'll find yourself a better shaver no matter what tool you use.

Sort of like after you drive a manual transmission you can become a more efficient driver, even if you're driving an automatic. I think of cartridges as automatics, DE's as manuals, and straights as a custom motorbike.

I shaved with my old sensor in the shower this morning since I was running behind. Shaved against the grain on my neck and mustache area, something I didn't use to be able to do without getting nicks, and got a completely smooth, nick-free shave.

Top Bottom