What's new

Blasphemy? a Barber Razor?

I'm hoping it's not blasphemy or anything to post about barber razors/shavettes in the straight razor forum but I wasn't quite sure where else to go... I was wondering if anyone has heard of the brand "Slicke"? I bought a Slicke Barber Razor on Ebay for $2.80 and just received it from Kyrgyztan or some similar place. It seems pretty cheap (obviously) but it actually doesn't seem to be too bad...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's a mildly guilty pleasure to be able to straight shave and not worry about pivot rust, stropping, blade angle or drying the thing off. If you drop it in the sink? Just pop in a new blade. I love em as much as any of my conventional Straights.

Not blasphemy at all. There are already more than a couple threads about shavettes. I think John still has a free slot open in the Weck passaround if that would be something that would interest you.

Edit:
In my painkiller induced stupor, I apparently can't get the link to attach. It's here in the straights section though.

Last edited:
You could also get a CJB kamisori. A little more expensive, but they take AC blades instead of DE blades
+1
I think I'm going to eventually get one of these or a Weck. I have a Magic shavette, and the shorter blade and lightness just doesn't work for me. All of the DE shavettes that seem to have substantial mass to them cost more than any of the proper SRs I own, and I can't justify buying one when I could just have another SR.

There are shavettes and shavettes. From cheap as 2 Euros like the eastern side ones, going into middle Ol' Europe one (Like Universal that is handmade in Italy and still not costing an eye) to again to the Japanese kami or similar like Feather and Kai.

+1
I think I'm going to eventually get one of these or a Weck. I have a Magic shavette, and the shorter blade and lightness just doesn't work for me. All of the DE shavettes that seem to have substantial mass to them cost more than any of the proper SRs I own, and I can't justify buying one when I could just have another SR.

I used a cheap shavette, own a CJB, Dubl Duck, and 3 Wecks. One folded steel handle and two with normal scales. The feather blades for the CJB are awesome, but I like the traditional grip of the DD and the Wecks better. (Personal preference thing)

Both the CJB/Feather/Kai systems and the Wecks are leagues above the cheap shavettes.

Top Bottom