What's new

Blanton's pricing

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Eagle Rare isn't all that easy to find around here, but it still shows up on the shelves from time to time. Frankly, it's not one of my favorites, so I don't pay tremendous attention. The others I mentioned aren't hard to find around here.

I'm glad Old Forester 1920 got a mention. That's also marvelous stuff and not too hard to find.

Anyone who really wants a good bourbon and isn't going to look down their nose at a label also needs to look at Evan Williams Bottled in Bond. I buy it by the handle. Don't tell them, but they should be charging twice the price. But, you see, that's America.

Same with Wild Turkey 101. It got a bad name, somehow. I think that had more to do with Hank Jr. and his got-too-drunk-but-still-death-defying antics than anything else. It's a terrific whiskey. Rare Breed is better without a doubt, but the ol' 101 is something you can't complain about unless you're used to living much better than I am (and I live well).

Eagle Rare isn't all that easy to find around here, but it still shows up on the shelves from time to time. Frankly, it's not one of my favorites, so I don't pay tremendous attention. The others I mentioned aren't hard to find around here.

I'm glad Old Forester 1920 got a mention. That's also marvelous stuff and not too hard to find.

Anyone who really wants a good bourbon and isn't going to look down their nose at a label also needs to look at Evan Williams Bottled in Bond. I buy it by the handle. Don't tell them, but they should be charging twice the price. But, you see, that's America.

Same with Wild Turkey 101. It got a bad name, somehow. I think that had more to do with Hank Jr. and his got-too-drunk-but-still-death-defying antics than anything else. It's a terrific whiskey. Rare Breed is better without a doubt, but the ol' 101 is something you can't complain about unless you're used to living much better than I am (and I live well).
Agree with all that. Though the last time I had ER, I did enjoy it tremendously. EWBiB will be a frequent pour..or it's little brother JTS Brown. It's been a LONG time since I gave the Turkey a spot in my cabinet, but that will change soon. I've found I need a bridge whiskey between a "daily" pour and a "special" pour. I guess that happens when your daily is under $15 and your other bottles are around $50 (which I consider a high price....I'm frugal). I'm just thankful that my palette is perfectly fine in that range. I honestly can't detect a lot of the subtleties that make higher priced whiskies worth it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Though the last time I had ER, I did enjoy it tremendously.

Oh, Eagle Rare a fine whiskey. It's just sweeter and fruitier than I like and, unlike Blanton's, it doesn't have a lot of depth to draw me in. Frankly, I find it slightly overpriced even at the $30-35 point, but that's my tastes. It just isn't my cup of tea, so I'm not really looking for it. I like them spicier. So many folks love it, though, that it's very often on my suggested list when someone asks for something to try.

As for the recent rarity, I can only chalk that up to it being from Buffalo Trace. Everything Buffalo Trace has become tricky to find. It's like everyone things everything BT is Pappy.

I agree with everything you said! EWBIB is tremendous and often my Old Fashioned mixer. WT 101 is the same. 1920 is a favorite neat.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I agree with everything you said! EWBIB is tremendous and often my Old Fashioned mixer. WT 101 is the same. 1920 is a favorite neat.

Oh, heck, yeah. EWBIB is an excellent mixer (yet also good enough neat). It had enough rye in the bill (and no wheat) that it also makes a great bourbon Manhattan when I'm so inclined to deviate from a proper rye Manhattan. At about $20/handle, it might be the best bang for the buck on the shelves.

$64.00 paid today. Like I said earlier. I only get this because my brother is the store manager. The bottles sell out before they can hit the shelf. If I didn’t have that connection. I’m not sure how I would get it.

The NEX here carries it too. But even at the NEX they have to raffle off tickets to buy it. Crazy.

FBC61FEA-44D3-4324-A065-BB9EC1E6225F.jpeg

Top Bottom