What's new

Blanton's pricing

I have a liquor store that gets it regularly, but they sell it in packs so you have to buy another bottle or two if something else. I don’t mind because they don’t raise the prices and I get to try new stuff.

Blanton’s is $60ish in NC. Allocated product so if you don’t have friends working for ABC is pure luck to find it. It’s been easier to find during the pandemic since the restaurants aren’t taking their typical shipments

What does Blanton’s look like?

blanton bourbon.jpg

Blantons used to be my fave. But agreed Bourbon is stupid now. People way over paying for stuff. It'll calm down after the fashionistas get out. My favorite Bourbon/Rye these days is actually High West. They're delicious and silky smooth. The rendezvous rye is my favorite but most of their Bourbons are great too.

I've gone back to Scotch these days for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blanton's is overpriced and overhyped in my opinion. I enjoy it if I can find it at retail but I much prefer Henry McKenna which is far more accessible and cheaper. Even Woodford double oak IMO is a similar enough sipper to blantons. I have two bottles but it's not my go to. Everything is subjective of course. As far as single barrels go like blanton's there is no such thing as a great SiB bourbon, only great bottles.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have had my share of high end bourbons, but the pricing has gotten crazier than I care to support. Mercifully there is EW BIB for under $20 for 1.75 l. When I want to spend more money for a bit of interest EW single barrel and 4 Roses small batch make me happy. I loved RVW when it was $35. Sigh.

Blanton's is overpriced and overhyped in my opinion. I enjoy it if I can find it at retail but I much prefer Henry McKenna which is far more accessible and cheaper. Even Woodford double oak IMO is a similar enough sipper to blantons. I have two bottles but it's not my go to. Everything is subjective of course. As far as single barrels go like blanton's there is no such thing as a great SiB bourbon, only great bottles.
I'm with you on Woodford Double Oak as a similar profile to Blantons. And much easier to find. Part of me would love to come by the set of stoppers for Blanton's "organically", but doubt I ever will. It's gotten too hard to find, and definitely out of my price range.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Bourbon is stupid now. People way over paying for stuff. It'll calm down after the fashionistas get out.
Blanton's is overpriced and overhyped in my opinion. I enjoy it if I can find it at retail but I much prefer Henry McKenna which is far more accessible and cheaper
I have had my share of high end bourbons, but the pricing has gotten crazier than I care to support.

The law of supply and demand sucks when everyone demands the same thing. You will see that in just about anything: everyone follows the herd mentality that "product x" is "THE thing to get" and off they go and all try to get it.

I'm not too familiar, but I think "Pappy Van Winkel" is like that, no? You basically have to win a liquor store lottery to get permission to buy a bottle.

Now, unless I need that to literally cure my cancer, I'm not buying that stuff ... I'll get the standard bottle of whatever that is 70% as good at 20% of the price and there's a dozen bottles on every liquor store's bourbon shelf.

(When the supply and demand gets that crazy, I don't mind the producers raising prices ... in the sense that I'd rather them sell the bottle for $200 instead of selling it for $50 to someone who will flip it on Craigslist and pocket the $150. I just know I'm not taking part in that process.)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
There has been a herd movement to higher price points. Good but not earth shaking bourbons seem to have a pricing structure clumping around $40 for a fifth and jumping significantly for anything that can be said to differentiate a whiskey, such as barrel proof, small batch, single barrel, more age, etc. Bear in mind that when the mash bill was created for the basic whiskey, all of those things that add to the price probably began with that same mash bill. So that $200 bottle might have been selected from a barrel that seemed especially good and might have been left sleeping a few more years, but it will not be as different as they want you to think. The point is that while that pricey bottle might be terrific, the $40 basic stuff is probably quite similar. If you have a blind testing of a solid bourbon and a bourbon from the same mash bill with different treatment, you would be surprised how different they are! If you are mixing it, even in something like an old fashioned, you might be able to tell a difference, but just given one with nothing to compare, you are a rare connoisseur if you can identify it with more specificity than its general lineage as defined by its mash bill. That said, I do find that higher proof whiskies generally taste better and not noticeably more rough.

I never had Blanton’s, but I’m looking forward to finding a bottle someday at a reasonable price. I have had quite a few bourbons in the $30-$65 range. There are so many interesting flavors to taste, I see no need to chase super expensive bottles, especially when I enjoy several bourbons in the $20-$30 range for daily drinkers. Some of the prices are just silly for popular bottles.

I never had Blanton’s, but I’m looking forward to finding a bottle someday at a reasonable price. I have had quite a few bourbons in the $30-$65 range. There are so many interesting flavors to taste, I see no need to chase super expensive bottles, especially when I enjoy several bourbons in the $20-$30 range for daily drinkers. Some of the prices are just silly for popular bottles.

I always like blantons and never paid more than $60 a bottle. It hasn't gotten better over the past few years just because it costs more. Changing price makes me look around and see what else is there. I love the stuff coming out of high west these days. Reasonable great stuff... Every bit as good as blantons..
Their rendezvous rye is phenomenal. My spirit of choice in my Manhattans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Holy smokes! I stopped at a local "discount" liquor store that I know gets plenty of Buffalo Trace products today. This is the time of year the BT releases some of the harder to find stuff like Pappy and Weller, so I am thinking they will be stocked up. Sure enough, loads of Buffalo Trace on the shelf at $30 for 750ml and $60 for 1.75L. That is 25% more than I paid for my last 750 of BT, but I am thinking that I might get lucky with one of my favorite bottles, Elmer T. Lee. It is not on the shelf next to BT, where I have found it before, so I wander to the cash register where they keep the good stuff. I ask about Pappy. "Sold out." I see three bottles of Elmer T. Lee and ask for the price. "$250." Last year the price was $80 here. I next ask about Eagle Rare 17. "Two thousand." That made my reflexly ask back, "Two thousand?" and I got the same answer. LOL. The last bottle I priced was George T. Stagg, the favorite of all bourbons I have sampled. "500." I made no purchase.

I will stick with what I can get through the ABC Rewards program and Old Forester!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Funny thing happened today. I got an email from my liquor store. They're holding a bottle of Blanton's for me. $67. That's a good deal more than it was only a few years ago and more than double what it was 10 years ago or so, but it ain't so bad for today.

It'll be nice to have one on the shelf again.

Funny thing happened today. I got an email from my liquor store. They're holding a bottle of Blanton's for me. $67. That's a good deal more than it was only a few years ago and more than double what it was 10 years ago or so, but it ain't so bad for today.

It'll be nice to have one on the shelf again.
Great price! I was able to get a few bottles around $75 from a local place about 6 months ago but they rarely get it anymore. A few stores closer to me are at $100 or above that.

Top Bottom