What's new

Blades

Pictured are some old blades I picked up that were my grandfather's. They don't look like anything special, just Shicks. But I was wondering if any one had an opinion on them.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Whenever I buy an old razor, the seller always seems to include some old blades. I usually just chuck 'em. Am I missing something?
Old blades look cool, I'll admit, and I'm sure some folks collect them, but I sure wouldn't want to shave with them.

I've got to agree with Ouch on this one. Who knows how old those blades are and whether or not they are even sharp anymore. I don't know about you but I wouldn't use my face as a guinea pig. Just buy you some nice new Merkurs, Feathers, Derby, or Sweedish Gillettes.

tam.audio said:
Is a blade going to lose its edge when it's packaged still?

The real question is whether it is worth risking your face to find out! Keep the blades in their package and use new blades. These blades have more value as having belonged to your grandfather than they do as blades to shave with. I'd keep them as collectables.

Randy

Kyle,

In the meantime, if you want a bargain on blades, check out the ebay auction # 6628451046 for Israeli Personna blades.

Randy

Old blades tend to oxidize (coatings weren't as sophisticated as they are now), and the edges get dull. I wouldn't use them.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
rtaylor61 said:
The real question is whether it is worth risking your face to find out! Keep the blades in their package and use new blades. These blades have more value as having belonged to your grandfather than they do as blades to shave with. I'd keep them as collectables.

Randy

That's about as poignant an elucidation as one could possibly come up with. It reminds me of the film Throw Momma From the Train, where Danny DaVito's character displays his meager coin "collection"- some common pennies and nickels that his dad gave him at the circus when he was a kid.

I have a fishtank that contains both a piece of coral that cost over $100 and a tiny shell that my daughter picked up at the beach when she was three. Guess which one's not for sale?:001_rolle

Besides, even if the blades are still sharp, do you want to shave with what may be a sharp, rusty blade?:confused:

Ouch is right on the money here, Other Kyle. It's the principle of the thing. They're old, look cool, came from your grandfather, and are old. It's just not worth the risk.

Also, I've found that almost all of the vintage (used or mint) razors that you find in stores and on eBay include, as ouch said, some old blades. And again, I always toss 'em... Or in the case of the old Injector I got, I left them sealed in the mini-box that they came in. Because they look cool.

New razors have better sharpening, better coating, and are more durable.

It comes down to a risk/benefit analysis.

Top Bottom