What's new

Blades you like that doesn't get much love

No it is not. I have personally not tried the Titan, but I do like both the ST-300 and the Prime from Dorco.
I've found the Dorco Titan to be a very forgiving blade in razors that can be very unforgiving. But not only that, it has great longevity. I've been able to get six to 10 shaves out of a blade. Furthermore it doesn't have any glue spots on the blade. :) If I had to shave with Dorco Titans for the rest of my life, I would be perfectly content.

@Jay21 Dorco Titan :thumbsup:

I tried a Dorco Titan this morning for the first time. I thought it was a very nice blade. It's not discussed here as frequently as other blades.
A good part of the reason is that in the U.S. we can buy the more premium Dorco Stainless (ST300/301) for less ($5-$6) versus the Titans (STL300) that run for $9-10 or roughly the same price as Dorco's premium Prime (STP300/301) blades. Why pay more for a blade that the manufacturer markets as having lower quality.

Lot's of recent discussion on the Dorco Stainless and Primes that are also excellent blades since production was moved to a newer Vietnamese factory. Have a look at the thread linked below. Some discussion on Titans also included.

While my favorite blades are Dorco Stainless and Primes I also like Derby Extra blades. They shave as well for me as my other brands (Dorco and Astra SP) with the main difference in fewer shaves per blade (4-6 or so versus 8-12). Still an excellent value blade when I acquired newer post-2016 200 packs three years ago for around $8-$9 each or around 4.5 cents per blade.

I have loved the Super-Max Super Platinum for many years and was disappointed when they seemed to have gone away. Was happy to hear from another member a while ago that they had probably had just been rebranded as the Diamond Edge. I did buy some of the Diamond Edge and they do feel the same to me. They also have Super Platinum written on the tuck box. So with my remaining stash of Super Platinums and my new batch of Diamond Edges I'm good for um, several years anyway. I also really like the Wilkinson Sword blades from India.

View attachment 1638715
I do have a100 pack if the gillette Wilkinson and I like those. I have some diamonds edge ones on order, but we will see if I'll get them. They are running out of time.

While my favorite blades are Dorco Stainless and Primes I also like Derby Extra blades. They shave as well for me as my other brands (Dorco and Astra SP) with the main difference in fewer shaves per blade (4-6 or so versus 8-12). Still an excellent value blade when I acquired newer post-2016 200 packs three years ago for around $8-$9 each or around 4.5 cents per blade.
That has been my experience as well

full

Have been shaving with the Rubie since last fall. Don't think this blade gets much love. But I find it to be a very nice smooth shaving blade, similar to the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black.

Just got in a card of the Minora Stainless. Will shave with it this week, starting tomorrow.

I have been using the Clifton classic blade for the last 3 shaves and it is not a bad blade. Nice, comfortable and the shave I had last night was very close to BBS.

Last night I had my 4th shave with the Clifton Classic and I think it is giving up the ghost a bit. Not a horrible shave by any means, but not nearly as close as the prior one. I would say it is good for 3 good shaves. On to a new blade to test. I have a bag full from my samples. What I do is just to reach in the bag and grab one and go for it. There are some interesting blades in there.

Pulled another blade from my sample pack last night and it was the Silver Star made by Lord in Egypt. I fired it up in my Gillette SuperSpeed TTO. The shave was decent, but I think I am a bit up in the air regarding it. Felt a bit rough in places, but I was able to get a DFS- with it. I will use it again tonight, but use my RR GC 68-P instead. I know that razor a bit better and we will see if my experience changes. First time out it was just ok.

Dorco Primes are excellent. The rest of the Dorco lineup used to suck, but I love Primes.

I bought 500 or so a couple of years ago when they were about $6USD/100. They are as good as many of the big names.

Had my second shave with the Silver Star and the blade is not for me. Left too much stubble whereas other blades would have taken it. I will probably give it one more chance then it is the bin.

lasta

Blade Biter
Gillette Super Stainless from the late 80s and early 90s. Despite some early B&B negative reviews, I found them very high in the sharpness and smoothness department while being very long lasting.

Especially the made in France varieties.

Despite being past DE's heyday, I found them far superior to old Spoilers, Super Silvers and Wilkinsons. On par with some of the best blades made today.
20230419_194811.jpg

Parker Premium Platinum

I did a thread search first to make sure no one else mentioned them so here it is, case in point. They come in boring packaging and understated colors, an equally boring name but they sure do give me a nice comfortable sharp shave for at least five uses. And they are not expensive.

Top Bottom