What's new

Blades similar to derby.

I have really sensitive skin. And everytime I use a Astra SP I get weepers without noticing and irritated itchy skin. Derby extra so far seems to work the best for me (BBS with 3 passes no irritation at all). Are there any other blades that feel similar to derby extras? I read that gillette silver blues are probably the most closest to them on amazon from a reviewer. Any similar blades I can add to my rotation? Currently using a Lord L6/Edwin Jagger DE89 with derby extras.

Try the Derby Premiums. I'm not a fan of the Derby Extras, they do nothing for me. But, the premiums are pretty decent....

I find Bic blades (in the yellow wrapper) to be mild yet of good quality. I've also heard that the South Korean Dorco blades are like Derby's.

When I started wetshaving, a rather long time ago, Derby Extras were my first blade. I then tried Dorco 301's and found them very similiar. So much so that they were difficult to tell apart. The Dorcos seemed just a bit sharper.

The GSB's are excellent blades. A top quality blade from the same factory that makes Astras. Lord ASCO's are known to be mild. Personnas should be considered.

I have really sensitive skin. And everytime I use a Astra SP I get weepers without noticing and irritated itchy skin. Derby extra so far seems to work the best for me (BBS with 3 passes no irritation at all). Are there any other blades that feel similar to derby extras? I read that gillette silver blues are probably the most closest to them on amazon from a reviewer. Any similar blades I can add to my rotation? Currently using a Lord L6/Edwin Jagger DE89 with derby extras.
Those reviews on Amazon should not be
Taken seriously, now Gillette Silver Blues
Are an extremely Sharp blade (Fether territory) and Derbys are very mild but still
Get the job done , I would say what you're
Looking for is either Gillette Wilkerson or
Voskhods..

Those reviews on Amazon should not be
Taken seriously, now Gillette Silver Blues
Are an extremely Sharp blade (Fether territory) and Derbys are very mild but still
Get the job done , I would say what you're
Looking for is either Gillette Wilkerson or
Voskhods..

+1 on the Gillette Wilkinson. A forgiving blade that's still sharp enough to get the job done. And Voskhods are a good recommendation too.

proxy.php

I just noticed that your a new member and this is your first post. Welcome!

Please consider making a visit to the Shave Clinic and newbie check-in. Its a great way to settle in to Badger + blade.

The closet blade to the Derby Extra 2017 blades are the Dorco ST300 Vietnam blades. The Vietnam blades are more smoother & hardly NO irritation compared to the Korean ST300's IMO.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Polsilver SI or Lord Platinum.

I find Astra SP sharp, but they can be a bit harsh and scratchy.

I find the Lord Platinum as smooth if not smoother than Derby Extra and a bit sharper, but the sharpness seemed to fall off quickly for me, where the Derby lasts longer. Very nice blade though in my opinion. Derby Extra is one of my favorite blades. GSB's didnt work for me but I need to revisit them as I havent used one in months. Polsilver is my #1 blade, sharp and very smooth.

I wonder since you say the Astra SP made you itch, if maybe you have an aversion to Platinum. Two chrome blades have made me itch. Shark Super Chrome and Bic Chrome Platinum.

I ordered 20 Vietnamese dorco st300s. First blade was a dud (binned after the first stroke), so I thought they were all like that, and just wrote them off. Based on what I've been reading here, I dug them out and tried another. Glad I did. They're ok blades. I haven't read anything about dud dorcos. Guess I'm just lucky...

I have tried feathers and got smooth/irritation free shaves compared to Astra SP. Also have tried Lord Platinums and my skin gets irritated with that as well. I really dislike astras, no idea what to do with the 90 left I have. I get good shaves, but I prefer how irritation-free the derbies are, although they tug sometimes ATG. Gonna order some GSBs,Personnas and Voskhods. Dorcos are way to overpriced here in Canada. How are Shark stainless? Based on that chart they are the same sharpness and smoothness as derby.

I'm in Canada too. If you want to try Polsilver SI, I ordered 200 from this seller and I had them at my door in 2 weeks to the day. Shipping was $2.25 per 100.

100 POLSILVER SUPER IRIDIUM DE BLADES PRIORITY SHIPPING WITH TRACKING | eBay

Italian Barber usually has some blades on sale, but no idea why the shipping is $9.95USD. I could drive there and pick them up for less lol: Deal of the Day – ItalianBarber
Those look like a good deal. I'm going to try them out

The closet blade to the Derby Extra 2017 blades are the Dorco ST300 Vietnam blades. The Vietnam blades are more smoother & hardly NO irritation compared to the Korean ST300's IMO.
You are absolutely right , I forgot to mention the Dorco ST-300 in my reply
Since it is a blade that I really enjoy using
It's been an active part of my blade rotation for quite some time, I find them to
Be Sharp and Smooth in my Merkur Futur
Set at 2.5 when it comes to Dorco's I use
The Vietnamese ST- 300 exclusively..

Polsilver SI or Lord Platinum.

I find Astra SP sharp, but they can be a bit harsh and scratchy.

I find the Lord Platinum as smooth if not smoother than Derby Extra and a bit sharper, but the sharpness seemed to fall off quickly for me, where the Derby lasts longer. Very nice blade though in my opinion. Derby Extra is one of my favorite blades. GSB's didnt work for me but I need to revisit them as I havent used one in months. Polsilver is my #1 blade, sharp and very smooth.

I wonder since you say the Astra SP made you itch, if maybe you have an aversion to Platinum. Two chrome blades have made me itch. Shark Super Chrome and Bic Chrome Platinum.
Well the OP had no Problems with Derbies
Which if I'm not mistaken also are Platinum coated along with who knows what else..

Top Bottom