What's new

Blades similar to Astra SP?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Currently evaluating Derby Extra, Premium and Usta. The Extra and Premium are a lot like Astra SP's. Smooth shave and I think they give up a closer shave on my usual 2 passes. Trying to finish the evaluations of all three before buying 100, almost pulled the trigger on the Extras though. Quite a surprise. One blade I did purchase 100 of was the Treet "Yellow" Carbon Steel blade.

OP; @dmshaver is the curator of the Great Blade Exchange. Very much worth the time to swap and sample if you haven't already.

Have fun and as always YMMV, especially with blades!

Derby has up'ed their game! Thanks for the post. I have used all three and find the Premium's to be the best, but all of them are decent or better. Astra SP to me are ok. I prefer the Astra SS.

I also have the same tough beard with sensitive skin combo as you, and I also find Astra SP to be outstanding blades. Give these a try, they work well for me:
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Bic Chrome Platinum
  • Gillette 7 O'clock Platinum (black package)
  • Personna Platinum (I can't tell any difference between Israeli Reds and German made ones)
Gillette Platinum never seems to get enough credit! They are outstanding blades and always seem to get overlooked.
+1👍🏻

For those who have never seen it, you might want to check out the Refined Shave web site.

The website owner tested almost 50 different blades using an empirical sharpness tester and also evaluated the quality of the shave (sharpness and smoothness). Not everyone agrees with his methodology, but I have found the blade comparisons to be a reasonable predictor of blade performance for my coarse beard and sensitive skin. I tend to like blades that come in at the very sharpest end of the scale with one exception. I do not like Feather blades as I can only get two good shaves before the blades deteriorate to the point of being painful on my face. The Refined Shave test results show the lack of durability of Feather blades.

I have yet to get a great shave from Astra SP blades. They just are not sharp enough for my beard. I can use them if I had to do so, but I would rather not. Accdording to the Refined Shave web site, Treet Platinum blades are similar in sharpness, but might be slightly smoother. I have not used the Treet platinum blades as I like sharper blades.

I have not used the Treet platinum blades as I like sharper blades.
The very day after having another attempt at the Astra, I pulled out a Treet from my sample pack. I am working from the dull end to the sharp for a new razor. I use the Treet Classic Carbon occasionally and they are reported to be made on the same line as the Platinum. In spite of not really being sharp enough, it was mostly a Treet for my face. Which was torn up from that Astra shave. I don't usually use anything less sharp than Crystals or PIRs and I will be working my way back down to them.

Personna Platinums are the sweet spot for many here. If you look up threads about Israeli Reds - this is them. Also the are now produced in Germany and available in sleeves of 200.
This is the closest blade I can think of. I would also say the LORD brands are very similar as others have suggested.

For me anyway, Astra SP is ranked very low. I think it compares fairly close to a Shark Chrome, which I also found to be not very efficient and uncomfortable.

Rapira Swede's
Rapira Platinum Lux
Derby Extra - green packaging
Treet 7 Days
Treet DuraSharp Yellow Carbon Steel

Evaluation ongoing, results subject to change.

Seems at this point in my evaluation if a person wanted to make it easy on yourself stick with Russian Gillettes and you have a big chunk of the best blades on the market to pick from. Since I'm trying non Gillette DE's you have to wade through a lot of so-so to find the good.

Last edited:
Rapira Swede's
Rapira Platinum Lux
Derby Extra - green packaging
Treet 7 Days
Treet DuraSharp Yellow Carbon Steel

Evaluation ongoing, results subject to change.

Seems at this point in my evaluation if a person wanted to make it easy on yourself stick with Russian Gillettes and you have a big chunk of the best blades on the market to pick from. Since I'm trying non Gillette DE's you have to wade through a lot of poor and average to find the good.
Exactly which Gillette blades are Russian?

Retired and usually shave after a couple (or more) G&Ts. so I favor a blade that's forgiving. My favorites over the years have been Astra SP and IP Red (5pk box or 10 pk UK). I have hundreds of both stockpiled. Since covid, and not leaving the house much, I'm shaving less frequently and needed a sharper, yet still forgiving blade. My blade of choice these days are these. Twice as expensive as Astra or IP, but better for thicker growth yet still forgiving.

A good bet would be other platinums with good reputations like the new Dorcos. I found the Black is essentially identical to the Astra SP. LOI Titanium (and probably Sharp) is fairly similar.

Top Bottom