What's new

Blades similar to Astra SP?

i just started DE shaving with a Qshave/ Welshi butterfly razor. I have done around 3 shaves with the Astra SP blade, all have been great no nicks or anything. I feel like I need something sharper to get a closer shave. What is a step up in sharpness from an Astra SP? (Like to avoid Gillette products)

Not really sure if they are sharper but I like Wilkinson Sword Classic, black box, made in Germany.
They're a little better quality than the Astras to me.

First off, Astra is a product of P & G /Gillette so you are already using a Gillette blade. I like the Astra SP blade and like you when I came back to DE shaving it was the first blade I tried. They are very good blades IME. They are also very reasonably priced.

I like the Derby Premium as a similarly priced option but if you want a blade giving a sharper and smoother blade you should probably consider Nacets, Silver Blues, or Rubies which are all Gillette blades.

To avoid Gillette then I like Wilkinson India blades which are now made in China. I find them sharp and smooth without any irritation.

Paul H on YouTube just did a video today featuring Dorco Prime Platinum, which he said was a very sharp blade. It'll likely be a step up from Astra SP while still being a Platinum coated blade. They also compare in price to Astra @ $9.99 for 100 blades. If I were you, I would order a tuck just to make sure. They might be what you're looking for.

First off, Astra is a product of P & G /Gillette so you are already using a Gillette blade. I like the Astra SP blade and like you when I came back to DE shaving it was the first blade I tried. They are very good blades IME. They are also very reasonably priced.

I like the Derby Premium as a similarly priced option but if you want a blade giving a sharper and smoother blade you should probably consider Nacets, Silver Blues, or Rubies which are all Gillette blades.

To avoid Gillette then I like Wilkinson India blades which are now made in China. I find them sharp and smooth without any irritation.

Dang I had no clue, thanks for the heads up.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
These are blades that I enjoy IMO, the ones that are crossing from Sharp & smooth to sharpest are very nice to use YMMV.
Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

There are a lot of very good choices available and I certainly haven’t tried them all but I have found most of the Russian Gillettes to have that WOW factor. I can understand wanting to avoid a brand for personal reasons (I’d prefer to avoid Russian products). Guess that’s what we’ve got.

First off, Astra is a product of P & G /Gillette so you are already using a Gillette blade. I like the Astra SP blade and like you when I came back to DE shaving it was the first blade I tried. They are very good blades IME. They are also very reasonably priced..

+1! I also like Astras!! Other not Gillette options made by Personna, Lord and Dorco are worth trying.

The blade I'm enjoying a great deal these days for its sharp smooth shaves is the Nacet. Second to that is the Gillette Silver Blue (GSB). Third on the list is Bic Chrome Platinum.

If you want sharper and non gillette try Kai blades. They are sharp amd smooth. Bit pricier than standard.
Also mentioned earlier are feathers though I dont find them that great overall.
GSB’s are very sharp and nice but they are Gillettes obviously.
Best bet might be a blade sampler.

Supermax Blue Diamond Titanium, and Supermax Super Platinum Diamond Edge are well regarded but don't get a lot of luv around here. I have and use both. Supermax brands can be almost as confusing as Personnas. Blue Diamond Titanium blades are available from Connaught at bargain basement prices.

Top Bottom