What's new

Blades Grim?

Hello gents,

Recently as of last month I became a proud owner of a Blades Grim SR. I only heard a little about them and read they had some problems in the beginning of their venture. I researched a little more and decided to give them a shot.

Made in America. Small business kind of thing. I can get behind that. I watched their about me videos and they had my attention.

I noticed that their merchandise is only sold on certain websites. Fair enough. But they own these websites and all ship from the same place.

They own the domain names of a few sites they sell their stuff on that's apart of the grooming network. My question is why?

Why own multiple domains to sell your products? Why not just stick with one name?

Now the SR I have is great so far. I love it. But this just confuses me. Can someone shed a little light please? I feel like they are buying and rebranding things and calling it their own. I know they make the Grim Blades but everything else..

Last edited by a moderator:
The quick answer.... ...
I'll be honest, I had something wrote out but decided it best not to.
Do your research and the answer is easy.

yep, and I'll never own one. I have had one of their first gen razors in hand. that was the least of my problems with the org.

I have done a pretty good deal of research. I know when they started off in 2014 they had some problems and brought in the help of another gentleman to steer them in the right direction. The razor I lag every is great and I really do enjoy it. I know they are not forging their blades. They are not cut from a press but do stock removal then get to grinding. The blade is not my issue.

It's why do they own more than one dang web store? I've tried looking this up for a few weeks now and have came up with nothing justified.

Unfortunately, it looks like this outfit now owns Hart Steel too. Glad I got mine years ago.

Really ? I have honed several Hart razors for some folks and although they don't work for me they seemed like nice razors so I can only imagine where the quality is going to go from here being tied to Blades Grim.

It's why do they own more than one dang web store? I've tried looking this up for a few weeks now and have came up with nothing justified.

In my business, I sometimes work for home builders. They create a new corporation for every project they start. The strategy is, when they get sued for ripping off their customers or not paying their subcontractors, only one of their many corporate ventures are at risk. This tactic should tell you a LOT about the integrity of any business. I would quit shaving and grow a beard before doing business with these guys again. JMHE

It's easier to start something with a new/different name or buy a existing good name (Classic Shaving) then it is to rebuild a bad reputation (well deserved) .

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
It's easier to start something with a new/different name or buy a existing good name (Classic Shaving) then it is to rebuild a bad reputation (well deserved) .

This is quite common. Once a company's brand is burned (justified or not) they often resurface with a new, fresh look.

In my business, I sometimes work for home builders. They create a new corporation for every project they start. The strategy is, when they get sued for ripping off their customers or not paying their subcontractors, only one of their many corporate ventures are at risk. This tactic should tell you a LOT about the integrity of any business. I would quit shaving and grow a beard before doing business with these guys again. JMHE

I sort of feel had with this but what I bought is really good quality though. I'm very happy with everything. I hope that's not the case though. The blades Grim is their actual brand made in Idaho by the grooming network guys.

I sort of feel had with this but what I bought is really good quality though. I'm very happy with everything. I hope that's not the case though. The blades Grim is their actual brand made in Idaho by the grooming network guys.

Well, my experience with them was obviously not as positive. They sought to rip me off and I had to fight with them and get the credit card company to cancel the payment. I wasn't hurt except for the huge hassle.

Just a small suggestion....why not scout around and find another custom or semi-custom razor made by a small shop for $150-$200. Say Brian Brown, Jerry Stark, or someone like those guys. Or even pick up a Ralf Aust production razor (for a mass-produced product they are REALLY a fine blade) for about the same price. Compare to the Grim Blades you own.
Q.E.D.
You might be surprised

Now...i am sure i read a while ago that not only the blades grim had problems...but how to grow a moustache did (wich is now pheonix artisan accoutrements a quick google can get you proper info) something along the likes of advertising things that they didnt put on the jar of ingredients...or saying that certain ingredients were inside the products that were found not to be...then they rebranded when they got into trouble...was a shame because i wanted to try some products from them but im staying clear from it....

That's a shame. I have a bottle of Grimblades shave oil which I bought off Amazon (knowing nothing about the brand). It's pretty good and would buy again but will look into their history as I wouldn't want to support a company with a bad rep.

Finish the bottle :)....and thats one thing ive started learning on b&b is do research on vendors...:( sad as that is to say...cant trust anybody nowadays in life or online...there are some amazing vendors and artisans out there however who are just as great :) alao b&b is full of nice people who take the time out to help one another ive had some unreal offers in my messages and advice...the other day i posted about williams shaving mug soap...this guy pmd me said he would send me a few pucks!!! He had 180 hahah...he loves the soap... I did decline and say thabk you very mch for that offer...just a example of the generosity of some people here ..not all is doom and gloom :)

Classic Shaving is a company that once had a great reputation; but it is now part of The Grooming Network. I have purchased two razors from them, one good and one bad. The first one was a Razoir Sabre Le Grelot produced by Ertan Suer when he lived in Thiers. It was shipped promptly. It was a superb razor. It came shave ready from the factory. It is one of my best shavers. More on this razor to come.

Based on that experience, I ordered a Hart that was on sale after Christmas. Although it was supposed to be shave ready, it was not. I had cuts and nicks all over my face when I tried shaving with it. The grind was rougher than my Gold Dollar razors. Upon examining the blade under magnification, I found microchips in the edge. That is why I got the cuts and nicks. The Hart razor had jimps and the initials of the craftsman, so it was not one of the early Harts. I should have sent it back for a refund, but kept the razor, thinking I could hone out the tiny chips. I have spent hours honing the razor with and without tape, on synthetics and naturals, with pasted strops, etc. and have yet to find the combination that will yield a smooth, comfortable shave with the razor. I can shave with it, but it is my worst shaving razor by far. I suspect the razor was not tempered properly. It should have never left the factory. I have not given up on the razor, but I have little hope of it ever being a great shaver.

Based on my glowing review of the Razoir Sabre razor, another member of the site on which I posted the review purchased one of the razors from Classic Shaving. The razor he received was not shave ready and had some cosmetic issues, so he returned the razor asking that they inspect and hone the replacement razor before shipment. The razor he received as a replacement had a warped blade that would not even lay flat on the hones. There is no way it could have been honed prior to shipment. The razor he sent back was in far better shape. Customer service at TGN claimed that they had inspected and honed the blade and blamed the customer for damaging the razor. They refused to have anything to do with him after that, so he is stuck with the razor. He is going to try to restore the geometry of the razor by extreme honing of the spine.

With so many good vendors, are you going to risk you pocketbook and your face by dealing with one that ships poor quality products and won' make it right?

Based on my experience with my Hart razor and my friend's experience with two Razoir Sabre razors, I will never again order from any of the companies associated with TGN. You might have a great experience, as I did with my Razoir Sabre. If there is a problem, I am not confident that TGN will make it right.

Top Bottom