What's new

Blades Grim?

If tomorrow they produced and sold the sweetest razor in the world, their demonstrated lack of integrity makes it a no-go for me. My purchase from them was a nightmare. I bought the most expensive razor I had ever bought to that point. What they sent had the spine ground off and a bevel that would make you laugh. I spent weeks doing battle with through the BBB and CC company. Finding and sending photographs of new razors for comparing, writing essays on my purchase experience. CC company finally stopped payment, otherwise I would have been stuck with a brand new damaged razor. The Grim boys would have been quite happy to have swindled me. They more than proved it in their dishonest communications with payment people. If their razors were free, I wouldn't want one. Off my soap box now.

It's a real shame these guys don't care about what they produce and back up with customer service by listening to feedback and addressing the concerns, I figure they will be gone shortly but companies like this tend to open back under different names playing the pea and shell game.

Oh man, I am late to follow up. Yes the Hart is quarter hollow and Boker is full hollow, duh of course that changes the feel. But the Hart is still just slightly better than a butter knife even after got it back from gssixgun. He did make it a lot better....it will shave WTG now...not even close to the action on the Boker which I also had Glen re-hone after I got super excited to examine the edge between use and stropping on a loupe and nicked the edge near the heal with the loupe. Glen got the edge fixed and everything on the Boker back to new.

So, I filed a Paypal resolution after two unanswered emails to CS.com....then did a little homework. The CEO of Grim Blades decided to gobble up CS, Hart, and someone else....and expand to several different internet store fronts. There were a few business articles highlighting his many great achievements to rapidly grow his business.....as well as one where it mentions something about 6 figure per month revenues.....well, maybe they could remember customers pay to drive those revenues.....and if I had spent a little more time researching my first blade maybe would have started with Dovo or Boker and a shop like Straight Razor Design....live and learn.

Glen was super helpful and encouraging while working on my two razors....he did suggest I give up on the Hart and move on as well. There is a brand he said just never worked for him....my stubble is like 60 grit sandpaper after 1 missed day of shaving,,,,,and underneath that is soft skin like a baby bottom....my face is not the most ideal territory for a not super sharp blade....and maybe the Hart will not ever really work on my face.

I honed these Hart razors awhile back for someone and I believe it was when they were starting out and they honed up without issue, the bevel I believe was initally lacking and the edge was convexed more than it should have been and there is nothing wrong with that but from my limited research I feel it's better to set a very crisp bevel and then follow thru my entire progression including finishing and then add a single layer of tape to put that secondary micro-bevel on, in some cases the edge will last longer and be keener but not always and adding the micro-bevel I only do 20-30 light passes with the tape and a slight slurry.

IMG_1394.JPG

Hart Steel has gone through quite a few phases. The very early Hart razors were pretty good. I have one and it does everything it is supposed to. Scales will never be great but they are (mostly) serviceable; no worse than some I have seen on T-I and Bokers. Actually I have had to get a couple of the aformentioned razors rescaled because they were so bad.
Unless I am very mistaken, Tim Zowada worked with Hart in the early days, getting things off the ground. Mr. Zowada also worked with Blades Grim a couple years back as a consultant to straighten out their production woes. Opinions vary as to whether or not his efforts were in vain.
I guess my experience is that unless you can find a very early production Hart, and are sure you want a bruiser of a 1/4 hollow, exercise due diligence and shop carefully. Focus on the names you hear (in a good way) on this and the other forums. You will find a huge catalog of razors available in all different styles, sizes, and prices. One or more of them will work for you.

Or even pick up a Ralf Aust production razor (for a mass-produced product they are REALLY a fine blade) for about the same price. Compare to the Grim Blades you own.
Q.E.D.
You might be surprised
I fell into the Classicshaving.com trap and bought one of their beginner sets back in January. I did learn enough ahead of time to get one with a Dovo razor instead of GD. I kind of wondered why it came with a bunch of Blades Grimm coupons and stickers...now I know.

I did a search for the "Ralf Aust" you suggested and found a site called straightrazordesigns. They have a lot of stuff I have been looking at other places online and looks like better razors and prices than CS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fell into the Classicshaving.com trap and bought one of their beginner sets back in January. I did learn enough ahead of time to get one with a Dovo razor instead of GD. I kind of wondered why it came with a bunch of Blades Grimm coupons and stickers...now I know.

I did a search for the "Ralf Aust" you suggested and found a site called straightrazordesigns. They have a lot of stuff I have been looking at other places online and looks like better razors and prices than CS.

They are most reputable and very customer service oriented. I have bought many times from them. No worries

Yes! Straight Razor Designs rocks! Bought my Boker Edelweiss from SRD....it came with a letter from the company signed by Don and Lynn, as in Lynn Abrams! The guy who I am totally watching his "how to" video on Youtube for SR shaving.......when I am ready to grab another razor to add to my collection, depends on whether I can get the Hart to do something useful on my face, likely to order from them again. As a point of reference in negotiation on the Hart, called SRD to inquire what would happen if I had an issue with the Boker...customer service rep politely asked if there was something wrong, of course not but what if - ans: send it back and they will take care of it. No push-back, just a simple position of your satisfaction is our goal type of response...perfect!

Also, the other company is playing the "trade secret" game to act like they need not explain how my blade will be serviced on re-sharpening....it is not like I am going to run out and buy a $1000 worth of stones and start honing my own blade.....but when I asked how the other company was planning to resharpen a blade that was so dull at the point of sale....just got stone-walled reply. Well, they did offer to resharpen.....so will update how the blade is on the return ...should be next week....still in transit to Sand Point.

After reading everyone's experience with these guys it infuriates me that I supported them. It just suck because my experience with everything is actually very great. Sounds weird I know. Complaining about a good experience. Just knowing who they really are though now, I knew something was fishy when I stared looking into it more.

Oh well, what can I do now? The SR is actually great and I love the smell of everything. Just irritating that I supported these turds.

After reading everyone's experience with these guys it infuriates me that I supported them. It just suck because my experience with everything is actually very great. Sounds weird I know. Complaining about a good experience. Just knowing who they really are though now, I knew something was fishy when I stared looking into it more.

Oh well, what can I do now? The SR is actually great and I love the smell of everything. Just irritating that I supported these turds.

Dont sweat it as all the others say....even the bad guys have a good day sometimes...difference is it is not their preference....lol

I sort of feel had with this but what I bought is really good quality though. I'm very happy with everything. I hope that's not the case though. The blades Grim is their actual brand made in Idaho by the grooming network guys.

If the blade works for you then it was a worthwhile purchase, enjoy!

Hart is back from a second honing...it is sharper, still won't do anything to my arm hairs....I shaved right side with Hart, left side with Böker.....perhaps full hollow ground 5/8 vs quarter hollow ground 6/8 is more the difference. The Hart Steel blade is a fine razor, but I am not able to get it to shave as efficiently on my face as the Böker. Guess could just say "Operator Error".

Hart is back from a second honing...it is sharper, still won't do anything to my arm hairs....I shaved right side with Hart, left side with Böker.....perhaps full hollow ground 5/8 vs quarter hollow ground 6/8 is more the difference. The Hart Steel blade is a fine razor, but I am not able to get it to shave as efficiently on my face as the Böker. Guess could just say "Operator Error".

All you have to do is keep on posting and participating. The BST rule is a privilege for active members and is intended to discourage profiteers from taking advantage of the forums to sell their products. Build a solid post count, keep participating in the discussions. There will always be nice stuff showing up in the BST.

You can always send the member a message if you see an item of interest.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Hmmmm didn't know that you had to achieve a post count to BUY on BST. Does the system prevent you from sending PMs?

Top Bottom