What's new

Blades going bad in bathroom?

I found an open tuck of Lord Platinum blades in my bathroom cabinet this morning.
I know that this tuck must have been there for at least a year, maybe even a year and a half, hidden behind all other stuff in the cabinet.

Usually I have between 30-40 blades in the bathroom and bring some new tucks when I'm running low, this is because I read some years ago that blades can go bad (rust) if stored in a humid environment.

I loaded one of these Lord blades in my Parker Semi-Slant (it's slantember) and start shaving.
First pass was with my Parker SRX shavette with a Derby single (I need to practice more with straights).

When I shaved with my Semi-Slant the blade felt tuggy and it felt like it tried to drag the stubble from my face instead of cutting it.
When I was almost done with the left side of my face I switched blade and finished my shave with an Astra SS.

What do you guys think, can the blade go bad because of the humid environment in the bathroom, a bathroom where four people shower every day?
Or was this blade just a bad blade?
I don't think I wanna try one of the other blades from that tuck ;)

With four people showering every day, yep. That's a lot of moisture. I have thought about this myself but it's just me and my wife showering each day so half the amount of moisture. And I usually open the window to allow the steam to escape and then open the door to the bathroom once I'm done. Between the door and the window it airs out nicely. I have yet to find any blades that have developed rust during my 4 years of this. But I do keep most of my blades stored in the guest bedroom where my den is. I might have about 10 tucks in the bathroom.

@MntnMan62 There is no visible rust or stains on the blade, but what I read it's microscopic rust particles that can ruin the edge.
And we also open the window and the bathroom door when we're done with the showers.
But it not that easy to get rid of the steam inside the bathroom cabinet.

I do believe they go bad!. Keep em in a ziplock bag, maybe w one of those absorbent packs. I live in 80+ humidity, so bag and tupperware. And using blades w my water, you can see them turn brownish with 3 uses (i rinse them w filtered water).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I keep my main box of blades in the bedroom, and a small tupperware tub in the bathroom.

IMG_20200911_050047.jpg

When the tub runs low, I'll top it back up from the main box. That way, my long term storage is kept out of humidity, and the ones that are in a humid place, are in a sealed container.

@MntnMan62 There is no visible rust or stains on the blade, but what I read it's microscopic rust particles that can ruin the edge.
And we also open the window and the bathroom door when we're done with the showers.
But it not that easy to get rid of the steam inside the bathroom cabinet.
I am doubtful there is enough moisture to affect the blades if stored in their wrapping. I use old shaving soap tubs to store spare blades and the screw top lid seems to keep them dry.
A blade is use will be okay if left to dry in the open air but not inside a cabinet.

I keep my current razor/blade that I'm using in the medicine cabinet, and everything else is stored out of the bathroom, but close by. Not worth the risk.

Of you have central ac and you only keep the one you're currently using or ones you'll soon be using in the more humid environment of the bathroom it should be fine. Or even if you'll be using them months later I guess, but over a year is pushing it. It seems.

Only 2 people use my bathroom and there is an air extractor that is used when we shower . Plus I keep my blades boxes in a zip lock plastic bag in my bathroom drawer. I’ve never had one rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only 2 people use my bathroom and there is an air extractor that is used when we shower . Plus I keep my blades boxes in a zip lock plastic bag in my bathroom drawer. I’ve never had one rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's good, especially the last part. Honestly I don't really know how long or how much is beyond stainless blades but I take all precautions mainly for my vintage carbons because I do know it's necessary for them so I do the same for my stainless. Except for the post shave care, I know they don't need what carbons do.

Tonight it was Parker Semi and Lord Platinum again.
This time I used a brand new blade that I received a week ago from a dealer in England.
What a difference, so smooth and comfortable.
No drag, no pulling, just a nice shave 😊

Personally I haven’t noticed any problems with blades rusting in my bathroom. The only blade that I have that is rusted is a vintage blade that came with a Tech that I ordered from Ebay and I don’t plan on using it

As some have mentioned, I have a few tucks in the cabinet drawer. The loose blades I keep in a corked jar under the sink. The 100’s are in the linen closet out in the hallway, away from the bathroom.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Kept in bathroom (18 or 19 days out on the countertop, in the far corner away from the sink):

20201118_090420.jpg

Kept in bedroom:

20201118_090347.jpg

If you can't tell the difference zoom in and look at the corners of the blade.

I have no idea if the moisture can get through the packaging if you leave tucks in the bathroom, but I'm not taking a chance.

Last edited:
I never leave my blades, brush ( I have only one now lol) or razors in the bathroom and I can't say for sure if that's better for the blades or not, but all of my razors look brand new. I don't consider this a chore, since i've been doing it ever since I started DE shaving a few years ago and it works for me.

Top Bottom