What's new

Blades for your Eclipse Red Ring

Hello,

I posted a post about a month ago showing an Eclipse Red Ring that I was lucky enough to find.

I've cleaned it up and I've been using it and I've been throughly enjoying it.

So far I've tried the BIC Chrome Platinum and we have a local Pharmacy called Clicks that sell their own branded blades which say they are made in Germany.

I was thinking these may be repackaged Schick blades as those are made in Germany and Schick is a very popular brand here in South Africa. The blades are very nice whatever they may be.

I am curious to know for those of you who also own an Eclipse Red Ring what blades have you tried and what have you liked and disliked and for what reasons in this razor.

Thanks!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have used many blades and liked them all excluding those blades which I do not like in any razor. The Eclipse is an adjustable razor so I use a less aggressive setting for sharp blades such as Feather or Bic.

I suspect the store branded blades that you found are Personnas. Since the plant in Israel was shuttered, DE blades by Schick, Wilkenson Sword and Personna blade are all made in the same factory in Solingen Germany. A lot of Personna blades have been sold under store brands. If the blades are labeled as platinum coated blades, then they are Personnas.

I suspect the store branded blades that you found are Personnas. Since the plant in Israel was shuttered, DE blades by Schick, Wilkenson Sword and Personna blade are all made in the same factory in Solingen Germany. A lot of Personna blades have been sold under store brands. If the blades are labeled as platinum coated blades, then they are Personnas.
That's interesting info. Thank you.

They are labeled as Platinum Chrome. So you may well be right.

Is there any difference in the blades themselves between Personna, Schick and Wilkinson Sword that come out of that factory or just different names for different regions?

Thanks.

There certainly are differences between the Personna Platinum Chrome blades and the Wilkinson Sword Classic blades.

Do not confuse the WS Classic blades with the Gillette branded Wilkinson Sword blades made in either India or China. They are a different blade.

The Personna Platinum blades use a Platinum Chrome coating to improve the edge of the blade. The WS Classic blades are stainless blades with a PTFE coating. I find the Personna blades (formerly called Israeli Reds, but now made in Germany) are sharp and smooth and hold their quality for several shaves. They are among my favorites.

The Wilkinson Sword Classic blades start out rather dull due to a thick polymer coating. The Personna "Comfort Coated" lab blues also start out this way. As the coating wears off, both blades become significantly sharper, so much so that an unsuspecting shaver can be caught unaware and end up with pink lather. The WS Classic blades become "Feather-sharp" after the coating wears off. The lab blues are very sharp, but not quite that sharp. Because I need very sharp blades for my coarse beard, I tend to avoid WS Classic and Personna lab blues. They are great blades after the initial shave, but for me, the first pass with a new blade will tug painfully. If I stropped the blades before the 1st shave, they might work better.

I do not know if Edgewell Personal Care produces double edge razor blades under the Schick name. They use that name for single edge injector blades and for some of their cartridge razors. They might sell Schick double edge blades in some parts of the world, but if so, they are likely to be the same as the WS Classic or Personna blades.

T
There certainly are differences between the Personna Platinum Chrome blades and the Wilkinson Sword Classic blades.

Do not confuse the WS Classic blades with the Gillette branded Wilkinson Sword blades made in either India or China. They are a different blade.

The Personna Platinum blades use a Platinum Chrome coating to improve the edge of the blade. The WS Classic blades are stainless blades with a PTFE coating. I find the Personna blades (formerly called Israeli Reds, but now made in Germany) are sharp and smooth and hold their quality for several shaves. They are among my favorites.

The Wilkinson Sword Classic blades start out rather dull due to a thick polymer coating. The Personna "Comfort Coated" lab blues also start out this way. As the coating wears off, both blades become significantly sharper, so much so that an unsuspecting shaver can be caught unaware and end up with pink lather. The WS Classic blades become "Feather-sharp" after the coating wears off. The lab blues are very sharp, but not quite that sharp. Because I need very sharp blades for my coarse beard, I tend to avoid WS Classic and Personna lab blues. They are great blades after the initial shave, but for me, the first pass with a new blade will tug painfully. If I stropped the blades before the 1st shave, they might work better.

I do not know if Edgewell Personal Care produces double edge razor blades under the Schick name. They use that name for single edge injector blades and for some of their cartridge razors. They might sell Schick double edge blades in some parts of the world, but if so, they are likely to be the same as the WS Classic or Personna blades.
Thanks again for the useful info.

Schick does indeed make DE blades, online retailer here in SA called Takealot sell bulk packs of them. Here's an image of them.

The packaging says triple coated, but they do not specify as to coated with what.

Attachments

• 4891228305604.jpg
    4891228305604.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom