What's new

Blades for sensitive skin?

I have a thick beard, but sensitive skin. I've been using Astra blades since I started wet shaving, and it's kinda on and off for me. Sometimes I get a nice, close shave with no irritation. And other times my face is so irritated it's a struggle to finish the shave. Any suggestions?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Welcome to Badger and Blade, Timothy.

Apply no pressure. This is the 1st commandment in DE shaving.

Sorry for the confusion, I've been here for a couple months. I'm just looking for new blades to try out, since the Astras are causing some irritation, even with no pressure. I also feel quite a bit of tugging in certain areas of my face.

Sorry, there is no way to not apply some pressure when shaving, to not apply some pressure would have the razor gliding across the lather never contacting the face. Taken to the extreme, the comment I still read often on forums about letting the weight of the razor apply the pressure! Must be some contortionist shavers out there.

The truth is we apply just enough pressure to allow the razor to properly cut the beard, that pressure takes time to understand and longer for your muscles to memorize.

I started out with Astra SPs and like you, had inconsistent results. I tried Gillette Silver Blues and they are my go to blade. I also like the German-made Wilkinson Sword, Gillette 7 O'Clock Green, and the Rapira Super Stainless. The Personna blades are popular but were hit and miss for me.

Blades might be the most YMMV aspect of wet shaving. I'd definitely recommend getting a sampler pack form Maggard Razors, West Coast Shaving, or tryablade.com

Good luck!

I have had luck with Crystal aka Israeli Personnas on my skin.
proxy.php

If you need something sharper, the Personna Lab Blues are SHARP. They may not be as sharp as Feathers, but it took me over a year of DE shaving to get along with the Lab Blues because of how unforgiving they are. Remember that shave prep matters greatly as well. For me, showering before the shave is the difference between a smooth comfortable shave and having a bloody, irritated, scraped raw face for at least the rest of the day.

Personally, I've never had issues with Astras. They work in all my razors.

Last edited:
Might not be an issue with blades so much as prep and lather. Here's my $0.02: pay attention to prep...lots of moisture to soften the beard. Hot washcloth twice for 30 seconds after showering.

To protect the skin, favor slickness over cushion in the lather. Slickness protects skin. I still use Cremo even though it doesn't lather, for just that reason. The stuff is just slick.

I've gotten mixed results from Astra's. When I want a comfortable shave (or trying a new razor) I usually reach for German made Wilkinson Swords. But my go-to blade for a close shave is a feather.

But my real advice: change only one thing at a time so you can feel the effect of just that one change.

I may in the minority here, but I really don't think the blade makes that much difference. I've been using the same blades I started with over a year ago. The quality of shave I get today vs when I began is miles apart. How is this possible? I believe a critical point is reached after so many hours of practice. You know you've reached that point when the minutiae of "how to" becomes less relevant. The various steps become so integrated that getting that acceptably close shave is no longer an issue because your practice has allowed you to intrinsically know exactly what to do to achieve the desired results.

Last edited:
I may in the minority here, but I really don't think the blade makes that much difference. I've been using the same blades I started with over a year ago. The quality of shave I get today vs when I began is miles apart. How is this possible? I believe a critical point is reached after so many hours of practice. You know you've reached that point when the minutiae of "how to" becomes less relevant. The various steps become so integrated that getting that acceptably close shave is no longer an issue because your practice has allowed you to intrinsically know exactly what to do to achieve the desired results.
I basically agree, all though a dull blade will always shave poorly, and some blades are basically dull right out of the package (like Supermax Platinums).

Agreed. There's a limit to how sharp a blade has to be though. There was a time I swore by Feathers. Finally got around to that 100 ct. box of Personna blades I thought were too dull. Surprised to discover they perform as well as the Feather...or just maybe my technique has improved to make up the difference.

Last edited:
Right. Derby blades are perfectly capable of doing the job for me, even though they're a really notorious DE blade on these forums. Prep and technique matter considerably more than blade and razor choice.

Well, maybe my technique sucks. I just know that sometimes I get a nice shave, and other times not so much. I don't feel like I do anything different when I shave. I pretty much have my routine down.

I started out with Astra SPs and like you, had inconsistent results. I tried Gillette Silver Blues and they are my go to blade. I also like the German-made Wilkinson Sword, Gillette 7 O'Clock Green, and the Rapira Super Stainless. The Personna blades are popular but were hit and miss for me.

Blades might be the most YMMV aspect of wet shaving. I'd definitely recommend getting a sampler pack form Maggard Razors, West Coast Shaving, or tryablade.com

Good luck!
+1 on the sample pack; best way to find the perfect blade for you.

Astra blades and me never could get along long term. Like you my shaves were up and down. I switched to Gillette Silver Blues and got a much more consistent shave. The important thing for me was to get a blade I trusted. That way I could work on technique and not worry if it was the blade. Silver Blues and my pre-war Tech make a nice combination. Good luck with the search. You'll get there.

P.S. Agree on the above. A sample pack is a great way to try different blades.

Last edited:
Here's a short list in order to try on tryablade
Perma sharps
Dorco 301
Wilkinson sword
Dorco prime
Derby
Chances are you'll stick with the first one. ;)

Top Bottom