What's new

Blades for Schick Injector Type E

I recently acquired a Schick Injector Type E. I know I can easily get the Schick blades. But are there any other brands of blade for this razor?

I just saw that Personna PTFE coated injector blades were available in a 20-pack for $8,50 (but sold out). Has anybody tried these?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The Schick blades are regarded very smooth and sharp & Personna injectors blades are very sharp and takes a few shaves to smooth out IMO.
There are also vintage injectors blades that have not been used and they can be iffy, if they still have their preserving oil on them they might be OK still. There are also injector twin blades still being MFG in Japan and they have real good longevity but are pricy.
Schick B20 blades are not designed for injectors but for Shavettes because of the large Radis on the corner of the blade that barely catch the keepers but some fellows still use them in their injectors (I do not use B20 in my injectors!).
You can also use Artist club blades but you would have snip them to proper length as last choice, but still doable.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (4).jpg

All these blades are still being Manufactured presently, if you want a nice first shave I suggest the Schick (Bottom) and they are also called Chicks sold in packets of 7 & considered the best available to some folks.
Schick E types are very nice IMO.

The Schick blades are regarded very smooth and sharp & Personna injectors blades are very sharp and takes a few shaves to smooth out IMO.
There are also vintage injectors blades that have not been used and they can be iffy, if they still have their preserving oil on them they might be OK still. There are also injector twin blades still being MFG in Japan and they have real good longevity but are pricy.
Schick B20 blades are not designed for injectors but for Shavettes because of the large Radis on the corner of the blade that barely catch the keepers but some fellows still use them in their injectors (I do not use B20 in my injectors!).
You can also use Artist club blades but you would have snip them to proper length as last choice, but still doable.
View attachment 1176859
All these blades are still being Manufactured presently, if you want a nice first shave I suggest the Schick (Bottom) and they are also called Chicks sold in packets of 7 & considered the best available to some folks.
Schick E types are very nice IMO.
Good info, thanks!

I am completely happy with my Personna blades. The cartridges could work better, but I've never failed to get a blade loaded.

I have several Gillette Platinum-Plus cartridges. From what I've seen with those blades, there is little reason to pay a premium for vintage stainless blades.

The premium pricing rules the regular Schick 7 blade cartridges out for me. A mere 7 blades in a cartridge? Wasteful.

The Schick Proline B blades that come in the 20 pack have their uses. Be aware that the corners of the leading edge of these blades is more rounded off than standard injector blades. Loaded in a Schick razor the edge projects farther out toward the lather bar.
From top: current Personna, old vintage Eversharp Schick, recent vintage Gillette
EC6348A7-061F-424A-853A-8801F7DA860C.jpeg

I believe the new blade pushes the old blade out. But can you remove the old blade, dry it, store it, and then reload it? I don't like to leave blades in the razor. I also like to thoroughly dry the razor between uses.

If you have an E with the free spring and opening head, removing/replacing might be plausible. Most E injectors (and all Gs) have the spring fixed in place with a single center catch or two side catches.

Pushing a blade out over the blade stops will dull it.

Opening head:
49205B72-B84A-4802-A563-945E0E854E8F.jpeg

Schick instructions say: do not take apart after every shave.
C01E5E14-1589-4969-8EC7-9E8F87254F3D.jpeg

I believe the new blade pushes the old blade out. But can you remove the old blade, dry it, store it, and then reload it? I don't like to leave blades in the razor. I also like to thoroughly dry the razor between uses.

I wouldn't recommend this even if you were able to do it; I think opening the razor to change the blade every day would quickly wear it out. It wasn't designed to be constantly manipulated that way.

If the razor you acquired has a blade already installed (if it's NOS, it should have a dummy blank blade in there), DON'T TAKE IT OUT. The blade is meant to be inserted into an already occupied blade bed; if you inject one into an empty razor you run the risk of rubbing the edge against the stops and dulling it.

As for blades, others have chimed in with good recommendations. I prefer the Schick blades over the Personnas and you can sometimes find the Schicks at your local mom & pop independent pharmacy. I get three weeks of shaving out of a Schick blade before I get bored with the razor and move on to something else, at which point the injector becomes a touch-up razor for when the current DE blade I'm using starts to fade after 5 shaves.

I wouldn't recommend this even if you were able to do it; I think opening the razor to change the blade every day would quickly wear it out. It wasn't designed to be constantly manipulated that way.

If the razor you acquired has a blade already installed (if it's NOS, it should have a dummy blank blade in there), DON'T TAKE IT OUT. The blade is meant to be inserted into an already occupied blade bed; if you inject one into an empty razor you run the risk of rubbing the edge against the stops and dulling it.

As for blades, others have chimed in with good recommendations. I prefer the Schick blades over the Personnas and you can sometimes find the Schicks at your local mom & pop independent pharmacy. I get three weeks of shaving out of a Schick blade before I get bored with the razor and move on to something else, at which point the injector becomes a touch-up razor for when the current DE blade I'm using starts to fade after 5 shaves.
" The blade is meant to be inserted into an already occupied blade bed; if you inject one into an empty razor you run the risk of rubbing the edge against the stops and dulling it."

Thank you. That is very good advice that I would not have known otherwise.

If I load a blade into an empty Injector, I will always load another one right away and throw away the 1st one since there is a good chance it is dulled.

I used to keep a couple of old used injector blades that I had further dulled on the side of a brick to use as shims in an old wedge razor. When I bought an injector razor that had no blade in it, I could load one of these dull ones into a Schick magazine and insert it into the razor before injecting a new blade.

I used to keep a couple of old used injector blades that I had further dulled on the side of a brick to use as shims in an old wedge razor. When I bought an injector razor that had no blade in it, I could load one of these dull ones into a Schick magazine and insert it into the razor before injecting a new blade.
Very good idea - create your own dummy blade. Can you out your used and dryblade back into the injector for additional uses?

Very good idea - create your own dummy blade. Can you out your used and dryblade back into the injector for additional uses?

I suppose you could, but it seems a lot of trouble to go to. The injector magazine is spring loaded and putting a blade back into it is easy. The blade is stainless steel so drying it is of no practical value, and the edge doesn't get so dirty that a rinse under the tap won't clean it. Feel free to experiment.

1. Leave the blade in the razor
2. Use only Chinese Schicks (Chicks). The Ted Pellas and Personnas are dull as butter knives and have a horrible dispenser.

1. Leave the blade in the razor
2. Use only Chinese Schicks (Chicks). The Ted Pellas and Personnas are dull as butter knives and have a horrible dispenser.

+1 - leave blade in razor

Personnas (Ted Pella just a rebranding) are NOT dull IMO, but +1 on dispenser quality. Maybe if I ever pay the extortionate Chick price tag, they will peel my face and I'll redefine "sharp".

I leave the blade in my injector razors, even those that open. It's intended by design. My first injector, a Schick L1, was purchased in the early 1970s and has had a blade mounted all these years with no issues. I use both brands of blades but I slightly prefer the Schicks and I can get them at my local pharmacy.

Top Bottom