What's new

Blades for Gillette Old Style?

Here's an easy one. (Question.)
If I get home with an Old Style Gillette, can I use modern blades in it, or do the two posts require some modifications to load it up?
I have a nice razor spotted, but don't want to buy a paperweight...

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Use regular razor blades, just look when you're tightening it up and make sure it's centered. Some brands will drop right in but most will need to be adjusted a little. Adjust with the end tabs of the blade.

I use OLDs and love them. :thumbup1:

Any modern DE blade will fit. Some guys like to shim their Olds by adding one or two reduced-width blades under the shaving blade.

Loads just like an EJ DE89, which also has the posts.

$maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks.
I took the plunge for the cost of a cheap pizza.
Ball end. Handle has slight crack, but expected that...
Cool as they get, and I'd say 90% condition.
Can't wait to shave with it!
Must be reading serial wrong, as it looks to be 29238C? Maybe the "C" is a partial 0?...
Not seeing it in date listings.

$DSCI0952.jpg$DSCI0955.jpg

Last edited:
It's a 1928 New Improved head, not an Old Type.

FYI the handle is a mismatch, NI heads were never sold with full size ball end handles AFAIK. I don't see any patent info on the handle so most likely it was originally paired with a '20s Old Type head.

Nice score, congrats.

Last edited:
Wow! I am glad to learn that. Have a couple NEW LC and a NEW SC, but hadn't given much thought to a New Improved. Would a solid ball end handle from an old Tech be a better match?
1928...right before The Great Depression. Kind of makes me struck with awe.
Time to get this back in action.

That ball end handle is from the same period, IMO a better match than a much newer Tech handle.

That's a nice shaver, enjoy. [emoji106]

May have been one of these, and someone replaced the handle with one that had the same look, just longer. I would leave that handle on it, looks great, and will work great! :thumbup1:

$1928 Milady Decolletee Parisienne.jpg

Mine might have been 46 units before the photographed example! That's CRAZY.
I think I'm gonna enjoy this one, if it doesn't bite me.
They did some really fine machine work in the '20s...
(Just before my father was born...)
Amazing that quality tools this old are still able to be found in this kind of condition.
Can't wait to fire it up.
Cool info and pictures from you guys...

Update: Loaded with fresh Derby stainless, and found it maybe a little less aggressive than my NEW SC.
SMMMMOOOOTH shave. and BBS results. DID nick my neck in a spot up by chin, but got in a hurry.
I am impressed with the New Improved very much.
Glad I picked this up, and won't be so stand-offish about razors with bullet posts for alignment now.

Top Bottom