What's new

Blades For Fatboy

I guess the YMMV rule here as I have had good results with Astra SP, I dunno what else Id look for. But hope you find some thing AH-mazing

Using a type of blade for a month is a good practice but IMHO only after you have used a variety of blades to 'narrow it down'. I'd go through your list using each for ~3 shaves before becoming monogamous with 2-3 of the blades you enjoyed most whilst sowing your wild blade oats. One great thing about an adjustable is you can try different settings on each blade - either each day or even between passes.

I tried a Nacet and thought it was really good and that it was going to be the blade for me, until I tried a GSB, two passes 1st on 7 and 2nd on 9, it's super smooth, the closest shave I have had from a de blade.
It had complete confidence in it, didn't feel as though I was going to cut myself even though I had a bit of a tremor from over indulging in some very nice cider last night.
There was zero irritation.
So far it's
1 Gillette Silver Blue
2 Gillette Nacet
3 Astra
4 Derby
I still have a good few blades to try, will try Feather next.

Along with different settings and blades, try some different soaps and lathering techniques. Then there's high and low angle, pre shave or not. Welcome to the journey.

Any suggestions where to start?

Any suggestion will be simply pointless since blades are the most YMMV thing (i.e. I have used Derby blades in my Fatboy for most part of the 90s with excellent results)

So simply try all the blades you ordered and see which one is the best for YOU.

And of course you don't need to shave for a month with a blade to see if it suits you,one shave is more than enough to realize if it is or isn't for you ,it ain't exactly rocket science :001_smile

If you absolutely want a...POINTLESS :001_smile suggestion, for ME the absolute best blade for my Fatboy (that I have been using since 1980) is the SHARK SS.

Last edited:
Any suggestion will be simply pointless since blades are the most YMMV thing (i.e. I have used Derby blades in my Fatboy for most part of the 90s with excellent results)

So simply try all the blades you ordered and see which one is the best for YOU.

And of course you don't need to shave for a month with a blade to see if it suits you,one shave is more than enough to realize if it is or isn't for you ,it ain't exactly rocket science :001_smile

If you absolutely want a...POINTLESS :001_smile suggestion, for ME the absolute best blade for my Fatboy (that I have been using since 1980) is the SHARK SS.

Thanks for the pointless suggestion, I will order a pack today :001_smile

This time I tried a Gillette Sharp Edge
Again 2 passes 1st on 7 and 2nd on 9.

This is another excellent blade, sharp and no irritation, I felt as if I had to be more careful with this blade than a Nacet or GSB and had a couple of weepers at the end.
The shave itself was very close but not quite as close as the other Gillettes I have tried, perhaps with better technique I may not have cut myself.
Upto now the Gillette blades I have used are very impressive.

So far it's

1 Gillette Silver Blue
2 Gillette Nacet
3 Gillette Sharp Edge
4 Astra
5 Derby

Last edited:
It was the turn of the Feather blade today.
It felt safe to use not like it was savage or I was going to cut myself but the shave was not as close as expected, one weeper and a lot of irritation.
It's not for me, so far Nacet and GSB have been the class acts.
Perhaps I have already found my two best blades and the rest are going to disappoint.
The cost of the Feather is also not in its favour.

So far it's

1 Gillette Silver Blue
2 Gillette Nacet
3 Astra
4 Feather
5 Derby

It was the turn of the Feather blade today.
It felt safe to use not like it was savage or I was going to cut myself but the shave was not as close as expected, one weeper and a lot of irritation.
It's not for me, so far Nacet and GSB have been the class acts.
Perhaps I have already found my two best blades and the rest are going to disappoint.
The cost of the Feather is also not in its favour.

So far it's

1 Gillette Silver Blue
2 Gillette Nacet
3 Astra
4 Feather
5 Derby
I find feathers to only give me irritation if I apply too much pressure, in a heavy razor they are great and crazy efficient

Today was the turn of the Gillette Rubie Platinum.
This is another excellent blade from Gillette.
It did not feel sharp although it is, no thought of nicks or cuts even though I played around with different techniques, just a totally easy shave.
Even set on 9 it did not bite me.
2 x passes for a brilliant shave, 1 at 7 and the other set at 9, next to no touch up.
No irritation at all, for me there is not much between the Nacet, GSB and Rubie I could quite happily use any of them as my everyday blade.

So far it's

1 Gillette Rubie
2 Gillette Silver Blue
3 Gillette Nacet
4 Astra
5 Feather
6 Derby

Last edited:
I find the Rubies to be great as well. I find they only last for 3 or 4 shaves though compared to a week from the Nacet.

I find the Rubies to be great as well. I find they only last for 3 or 4 shaves though compared to a week from the Nacet.

That's handy to know so far I have only been using the blades once, when I have found around 4 blades I like I will order 25 of each and rotate between them.

Tried a Gillette Super Platinum today, do not like this blade at all, lots of irritation, weepers and no confidence in it at all, had to do 3 passes 1 x 7 and 2 x 9 to get the same results as Nacet, Rubie and GSB with 2 passes.
The first Gillette I have not liked, just too much trouble / effort to get a shave from

3 x blades left to try, the Gillette Permasharp and Super Stainless and the Polsilver Super Iridium.

Hoping the remaining 3 are better than the not so Super Platinum.

So far it's

1 Gillette Rubie
2 Gillette Silver Blue
3 Gillette Nacet
4 Gillette Sharp Edge
5 Astra
6 Feather
7 Derby
8 Gillette Super Platinum

Last edited:
I have an Astra SP in my Slim right now, but I use a Gillette Silver Blue at least as often if not more so. The SP has 22 shaves on it.

The turn of the Polsilver Super Iridium
This is a really nice blade to use, feels very safe not agressive, nice to play around trying different techniques with this blade, very forgiving.
There was little irritation and I reckon some of that was down to the awful Gillette Super Platinum I used yesterday.
With this blade I think I could learn to improve my technique without ripping my face to shreds.
Did my usual 2 passes, set at 7 and 9.
The price of these is very good too.

So far it's

1 Polsilver Super Iridium
2 Gillette Rubie
3 Gillette Silver Blue
4 Gillette Nacet
5 Gillette Sharp Edge
6 Astra
7 Feather
8 Derby
9 Gillette Super Platinum

That's handy to know so far I have only been using the blades once, when I have found around 4 blades I like I will order 25 of each and rotate between them.

I have been DE shaving (Slim) since January of 1966, and in all those shaves and through all those blades, I have almost always found the second shave on a blade to be better than the first. My personal favorite in a D4 Fatboy, though, is Feather. Best of luck on your quest; it should be fun, to whichever it leads you.

Tom

I have been DE shaving (Slim) since January of 1966, and in all those shaves and through all those blades, I have almost always found the second shave on a blade to be better than the first. My personal favorite in a D4 Fatboy, though, is Feather. Best of luck on your quest; it should be fun, to whichever it leads you.

Tom

Thanks Tom

Today I tried the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless, green pack made in Russia I think.

Normally I would do 2 passes one at 7 and the other at 9 but from the start it was obvious that this is a very sharp blade and going up to 9 was not necessary.
Very smooth and quite forgiving of my evolving technique.
In all it took 2 passes on 7 with some touch ups, the result is very smooth my best yet with the minimum amount of irritation.
To be honest I was not expecting much from this blade but have been very pleased with the results.

So far it's

1 Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless
2 Polsilver Super Iridium
3 Gillette Rubie
4 Gillette Silver Blue
5 Gillette Nacet
6 Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge
7 Astra
8 Feather
9 Derby
10 Gillette Super Platinum

Top Bottom