What's new

Blades For Fatboy

I have recently bought a Fatboy and so far have only tried Derby and Astra blade's in it.

The Derby's are average at best, the Astra blades are better but not brilliant.

So I have ordered some blades to test, these are the ones that members here seem to think are good blades.

The blades are:
Gillette Super Stainless
Gillette Permasharp
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Super Platinum
Gillette Sharp Edge
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Rubie
Feather
Polsilver Super Iridium

Hopefully one of these will be my go to blade.

Any suggestions where to start?

My favorite blade is Nacet, which I use regularly in my Fatboy. In fact, one of my sons asks for them by name now, for use in his slim. My wife also finds they work great in her super adjustable.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I haven't used them all, but like the Silver Blue (GSB) a lot. Since it's an adjustable razor, your setting on it matters a great deal. I started at 4 or 5 on both FB and Slim, then dialed up accordingly, winding up on 6 or 7. I'd stick with one blade type for about a month or so, until you have both the razor and your technique dialed in. Enjoy your shaves!

Of those you ordered, I get the best results from GSB blades. However, my favorite blade in the FB is the Personna Medical Prep blade.

Don't look to others to tell you what will work on your your face. Just go.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My suggestion is the GSB. Play around with the setting to find your sweet spot. I would try 3 or 4 to start.

I've found quite a few blades work well in my FB, and I've been using setting 7, after really never venturing above 5 until early this year. Those that have worked well, and at the same time have been exceptionally smooth fore me are the:

Rapira Platinum Lux, Great all around blade
Wilkinson Sword German, first shave sometimes a tad rough, but smooth blade
Wilkinson Sword by Gillette from India, from a Sample PIF, Great in the FB
Gillette Sharp (Yellow), it's almost too sharp in the FB, good by 2nd/3rd shave
Feathers work well for me on the lower settings, under 5
KAI, smooth and sharp, not as smooth as the Rapiras, but comfortable, and as sharp as Feathers
Pol-Silvers work well, I'd rate about the same as the KAI blade in the FB for me
The Personna Blue (not labs, just US Blue) aren't bad in the FB

Astras are middle of the road in my FB, not the smoothest or the sharpest, but a decent utility blade. If you're Derby was a Green Package, a butter knife would be sharper in my opinion. I actually still have a couple from a single 5 pack, and found them to be a tuggy, not sharp, and give a blech shave for me. Somebody with overly sensitive skin might love them, but personally I hate them.

Start with something that works well for you in other razors.
Then you'll know what, if anything, isn't working in the adjustable.

The blades are:
Gillette Super Stainless
Gillette Permasharp
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Super Platinum
Gillette Sharp Edge
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Rubie
Feather
Polsilver Super Iridium

Hopefully one of these will be my go to blade.

Any suggestions where to start?
It would be an almost certain bet that
You will find at least 2 or 3 serious go to
Blades In that lineup you've listed, You
Can just start with the blades In the same
Order as your list In your post , But be
Sure to keep detailed notes on your
Results and thoughts on each blade as
Soon as possible after use of the blades.

I haven't used them all, but like the Silver Blue (GSB) a lot. Since it's an adjustable razor, your setting on it matters a great deal. I started at 4 or 5 on both FB and Slim, then dialed up accordingly, winding up on 6 or 7. I'd stick with one blade type for about a month or so, until you have both the razor and your technique dialed in. Enjoy your shaves!
With a sample pack such as the one
Being purchased by the OP , the one
Blade for a month is impractical, and
IMO the one blade for a month route
Is the wrong way to go.

With a sample pack such as the one
Being purchased by the OP , the one
Blade for a month is impractical, and
IMO the one blade for a month route
Is the wrong way to go.
One blade for a month would be impractical as it would become increasingly dull. However, I found one type of blade to be a great way to go. I used Polsivers for about a month before trying something else. They are excellent blades, by the way, even though I prefer Nacet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

IMHO every blade on your list sit's on
The very sharp end of the continuum
And since you have no medium or no
Mild blades on your list you should
Start out with the FB on setting 2 or 3
Or even lower just to get a feel for it.

Don't look to others to tell you what will work on your your face. Just go.

So you don't see that lists of blades he's
Already ordered ?
Advice and suggestions is What the
Spirit and culture of B&B is mostly about
Along with reviews. Most agree these are
Very helpful actions.
So loosen up and jump on in.

So you don't see that lists of blades he's
Already ordered ?
Advice and suggestions is What the
Spirit and culture of B&B is mostly about
Along with reviews. Most agree these are
Very helpful actions.
So loosen up and jump on in.
No I'm serious. I've learned that there are too many variables when it comes to blades that recommendations are virtually useless. For every blade there is a user who swears by it. Right now I'm using two blades I never would have gone near had I put stock in user reviews (BIC and Tian Li). You don't have to agree with my opinion but it's one gained from experience. My advice is to pick any one of the blades and not over think things. Trust your face . I think that's better advice than "you need to start with GSB".

Last edited:
I use Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows or Personna Lab Blues in the the Fat Kid. Both work well. I will say that the Polsilver Iridiums don't work for me in the Fatboy. They're fine in my other razors though

No I'm serious. I've learned that there are too many variables when it comes to blades that recommendations are virtually useless. For every blade there is a user who swears by it. Right now I'm using two blades I never would have gone near had I put stock in user reviews (BIC and Tian Li). You don't have to agree with my opinion but it's one gained from experience. My advice is to pick any one of the blades and not over think things. Trust your face . I think that's better advice than "you need to start with GSB".

Good thing we don't take you seriously ,
Listening to you we wouldn't have much
Of a blade forum .

Have to agree here. You will know if a blade works for you or doesn't after a few shaves with it. No reason to keep trying to use a single brand for a month if it just doesn't work for you.
For example: I really like GSB (one of my top 3). Works well in many razors. On the other hand, to me Nacet are 'just Ok' and i probably won't buy them again as I'd rather use Astra SP.

Some people here actually use Derby or Rockwell on purpose. Why? Because it works for them despite the reviews from others.

So you'll need to just try them.

You have my three favorite blades they are in order Gillette Silver Blue, PolSilver SI, and Nacet. I like all of them in my Fat Boys.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom