What's new

Blades for coarse hair

My stubble has the texture of coarse grade sandpaper. I'm looking for blades that'll pair well with a Merkur 34g, I'm not likely to get a new razor anytime soon. Out of the handful of blades I've tried out, I've had the most success with Nacets and Wilkinson Swords (Country of manufacture unknown). I've got some Derbys and Personna blades to try after my last Sword wears out, any other blades I should look into?
Thanks

Use whatever feels comfortable during the shave. Russian-made Gillettes and Astras are good options. My beard is quite coarse as well and grows fast. The secret to me is to do it frequently. If I shave daily everything is fine. If I skip a day or two, the blade needs to work much harder and the feeling is for a rougher shave.

Trouble is with me shaving daily, there's a lot more post-shave irritation. I don't know if that's a matter of technique (I'm slowly improving), but if I skip a day I end up with a smoother, mostly irritation free experience. Especially once the post-shave balm kicks in. And that's what I'm really after, that feeling of satisfaction of running one's fingers over a smoothed out face.
I'm gonna grab a pack of Astras, Nacets, and BICs once I'm low, and decide on a preferred blade afterwards. Thanks for the recommendations y'all.

Top Bottom