What's new

Blades deteriorating quickly? Or something else?

I'm up to about half a dozen shaves with my trusty EJ89 using sample pack Derby blades - according to a lot of advice here these are some of the most forgiving for a new user.

Anyway, I love the results I get after the first shave with each new blade. Smooth, flawless, perfect. Second and subsequent shaves with a blade, however, have been messier.

My shave yesterday with a new Derby was excellent. My second shave with the same blade this morning has left my neck looking like Brad Pitt's in Inglorious Basterds. I'm glad it's a weekend and I don't have to front up to my office today looking like this.

My beard isn't heavy or thick, so I doubt that it's my stubble that's shredding the blades so quickly. Could this just be down to Derbys being awful blades, as many have said? I live in Hong Kong, which is awfully humid - could the blades be deteriorating quickly due to the atmosphere? Could there be another factor I haven't thought of? My lather and shaving technique - as far as I can tell - don't change between shaves. I rinse the razor thoroughly and dry the blade manually after each shave.

Any advice would be a big help. Thanks!

Like you say, Derby's are average at best - it's unlikely they are deteriorating due to humidity in the short life span of a DE blade. I'd suggest trying a different brand and see what results you get.

You may be one of those unlikely guys whose whiskers only allow one shave per blade, but my money is on the Derby not being up to par - try an Astra, Polsilver, Voskhod, Gillette yellow or black and I'm sure things will improve.

Like you say, Derby's are average at best - it's unlikely they are deteriorating due to humidity in the short life span of a DE blade. I'd suggest trying a different brand and see what results you get.

You may be one of those unlikely guys whose whiskers only allow one shave per blade, but my money is on the Derby not being up to par - try an Astra, Polsilver, Voskhod, Gillette yellow or black and I'm sure things will improve.

+1 I would have to agree with Andy. Derbys are the best blades and it seems you aren't getting on with them. Good luck.

Endorsing what the others said. Some find they only get one shave out of a blade. I'm not one of them, but I don't doubt their judgement.

Derby blades have many critics, but fans, too. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't for you, but I doubt the blade is deteriorating.

I would try other blades, and later try Derby again just to see. It may turn out, whatever the reason, it is going to be one and done for you. You'll just need to build some experience to know.

It's the Darbys. They're just not very sharp. You have to remember that all kinds of people with all kinds of hair post here. There are people with light hair that can shave with a Darby blade 5 times no problem. And others like me - and maybe yourself - with stronger hair who can barely get one shave out of them. Don't worry about all the talk about blades being forgiving. Buy yourself some Feathers, cultivate a light touch, and don't look back.

Last edited:
I've been dreading the Derby in my sample pack for awhile, just based on what the other fellows have all ready said. Is there a lot of moister where you are? Do you find your blades rusting, even after you wipe them off? Try a different blade. YMMV

It's the Darbys. They're just not very sharp. You have to remember that all kinds of people with all kinds of hair post here. There are people with light hair that can shave with a Darby blade 5 times no problem. And others like me - and maybe yourself - with stronger hair who can barely get one shave out of them. Don't worry about all the talk about blades being forgiving. Buy yourself some Feathers, cultivate a light touch, and don't look back.

I have yet to try the Feather, I think the sharper blade would be good for my face. I think I'm in the same boat as you Mcteague.

Don't try and make a blade work for you. We have so many options you'll find something that suits you. I like sharks but some people hate them so it can really be a personal thing

Top Bottom