What's new

Blade Widths

This probably exists somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. I've read that some blades are slightly wider than others, and I'd like to find a chart that shows the width of various blades. I was able to find one chart, but it only had a few blades. I'm curious if anyone with calipers or a micrometer has done a comprehensive table. I'm curious to know which blades are the most and least wide.

My understanding is that virtually all DE blades have the same width. Only KAI blades are actually a bit wider and provide a bit more blade exposure in the same razor.

I found a pretty comprehensive table on another website (not sure if I'm allowed to paste links outside B&B). I'll only post a few to demonstrate there is a pretty significant range which I think helps explain why a particular blade may be a favorite in one razor but harsh or useless in another razor.

DuraSharp Carbon 21.64
American Persona 21.71
Dorco 21.85
Feather 21.93
Vintage Gillette Super Blue 21.96
Astra 22.04
Derby 22.1
Kai 22.2

Almost everything else is between 21.9 and 22.0.

@AZBronco: Here are some comprehensive results, but most of my data is unpublished. I got thrown off and haven't gotten back to DE blade measurements or publishing more results. However, you asked about which blades are the most and least wide. Based on careful measurements, the largest average width that I've calculated is 22.18 mm for Kai blades and the smallest average width that I've calculated is 21.82 mm for Treet Platinum blades. This is based on numerous sample measurements for 18 different brands, so it's hardly exhaustive, but it's not bad. Overall, the average (mean) blade width that I've found across brands is 21.96 mm and the medium (50th percentile) blade width is 21.97 mm.

Top Bottom