What's new

Blade wear and aggressive razors

I have noticed that razors with more exposure often cause my blades to dull faster. For example, I normally get 6 shaves out of an Astra SP using my Rex Ambassador or any of my vintage Gillettes. If I use the same blade in an R41 or iKon Standard, the blade will start tugging after only 3 or 4 shaves. Anyone else experience this or is this just some flaw in my technique or prep? My typical soaps are ARKO, Williams Mug Soap, B&M, Chiseled Face and Shannon's Soaps. My typical blades are Astra SP, Personna Reds, Nacet, King CG, 7 O'Clock Yellows. I have been wet shaving for more than 10 years but never really noticed this problem until recently. Razors with bigger gaps don't seem to cause extra wear, only razors with greater exposure. For the record, I don't do well with larger gaps and gravitate toward more exposure when I want a closer shave.

I have noticed this if I use my Tatara Nodachi. Some blades fail during the first shave. I have not noticed this in my R41.
If you are using a steep angle, this can be hard on the blade, especially if the blade clamping is stiff.

This is really interesting. Can't say I've noticed a difference regarding head geometry but then again my beard is fairly light and I shave daily. I'm pretty much shaving off 24hrs worth of peach fuzz each time. I would guess that those who are plowing through heavier growth might notice decreased blade life? 🤷‍♂️

Perhaps @JPO is on to something regarding angle and clamping.

FWIW, I get between 4-6 shaves per blade out of my daily driver Bic CP. For me, that's been consistent from super mild tech clones on up to and beyond the R41. My angle varies from razor to razor but is most often somewhere between steep and neutral.

If you have very tough and coarse whiskers you will notice a difference. The first razor that I noticed dulls my blades faster was my 2013 R41 5 years ago. Some but not all open combs will do that. With closed combs it is much rarer. But in the last 2 years I have noticed something else. If a closed comb razor clamps a big area of the blade, making it more rigid, that will shorten blade life too.

Angle matters too. In most cases steep is more detrimental.
But I will stress again, those things will be noticeable if you have very tough whiskers.

The only razor where I’ve noticed this is an R41 GS. I imagine it happens with a regular R41 too, but it’s been a while since I’ve used one and when I last did I used a new blade every 2-3 shaves whereas now I don’t always change my blade quite as often.

Anyway, yes.

Interesting observation!!

My question, ‘Do you think that wear also depends on how rigidly the blade is held by the razor?’

My question, ‘Do you think that wear also depends on how rigidly the blade is held by the razor?’
Great question. The B1 Standard clamps the blade well but perhaps that extra exposure is enough to allow the blade to flex? The R41 does not clamp the blade well.

Yes. My Blackland Blackbird is on the high end of the efficiency scale. This has a flexible head design. I have no issues with blade life if I use this. If I use my Tatara Nodachi with a feather blade it fails during the first pass.
Blade rigidity allows less energy to be obsorbed, which leads to higher stress at the cutting edge.

I've noticed this in regards to the blade edge rigidity. I'm not certain that the edge dulls faster in aggressive razors. I think rather the flex associated with a duller blade is more noticeable in aggressive razors than in razors that clamp near the edge.

I started feeling this way in once I got into gem razors, I tend to get the same or nearly the same number of shaves in all gem style razors. In gem razors though, clamping the edge isn't as important as the blade has more inherent rigidity.

So perhaps the rigidity of the blade in SE razors gives a more consistent performance regardless of clamping design, and in DE razors the more flexible blade becomes a factor in less well clamped razors?

Great question. The B1 Standard clamps the blade well but perhaps that extra exposure is enough to allow the blade to flex? The R41 does not clamp the blade well.
I have the r41 twist and the GS version. The stainless clamps the blade better.
The difference is quite noticable.
The stainless to the left clamps the blade closer to the cutting edge.
The twist clamps the blade on a fulcrum support further in.

20220903_173722.jpg

I have noticed that razors with more exposure often cause my blades to dull faster. For example, I normally get 6 shaves out of an Astra SP using my Rex Ambassador or any of my vintage Gillettes. If I use the same blade in an R41 or iKon Standard, the blade will start tugging after only 3 or 4 shaves. Anyone else experience this or is this just some flaw in my technique or prep? My typical soaps are ARKO, Williams Mug Soap, B&M, Chiseled Face and Shannon's Soaps. My typical blades are Astra SP, Personna Reds, Nacet, King CG, 7 O'Clock Yellows. I have been wet shaving for more than 10 years but never really noticed this problem until recently. Razors with bigger gaps don't seem to cause extra wear, only razors with greater exposure. For the record, I don't do well with larger gaps and gravitate toward more exposure when I want a closer shave.
Hi, I also noticed that my mild King C. Gillette razor can deliver more comfortable shaves per blade than my Weishi with moderate aggressiveness. Your post got me to thinking as to whether this is due to the blade dulling more slowly or to a razor architecture that better enables a less sharp blade to still cut in an effective and comfortable manner.

The MIT study from 2020 confirmed that blades wear via micro-chipping versus a more gradual erosion of the edge. My initial thought was that each cut whisker will do whatever damage it will do to the blade edge regardless of blade exposure unless something in the razor architecture enables use of a different cutting angle in a way that could reduce micorchipping. The MIT study indicated that blade angle had an effect on microchipping so there is evidence this is a possibility.

The other possibility is that with a milder razor shaving technique can be adjusted to achieve better results with a duller blade - e.g. applying more pressure. Unsure about this as many B&Bers have reported that they often get more life from a blade by moving it to more aggressive razors as it dulls.

Curious as to what other B&Bers have experienced and if anyone has seen additional research on the topic.

Hi, I also noticed that my mild King C. Gillette razor can deliver more comfortable shaves per blade than my Weishi with moderate aggressiveness. Your post got me to thinking as to whether this is due to the blade dulling more slowly or to a razor architecture that better enables a less sharp blade to still cut in an effective and comfortable manner.

The MIT study from 2020 confirmed that blades wear via micro-chipping versus a more gradual erosion of the edge. My initial thought was that each cut whisker will do whatever damage it will do to the blade edge regardless of blade exposure unless something in the razor architecture enables use of a different cutting angle in a way that could reduce micorchipping. The MIT study indicated that blade angle had an effect on microchipping so there is evidence this is a possibility.

The other possibility is that with a milder razor shaving technique can be adjusted to achieve better results with a duller blade - e.g. applying more pressure. Unsure about this as many B&Bers have reported that they often get more life from a blade by moving it to more aggressive razors as it dulls.

Curious as to what other B&Bers have experienced and if anyone has seen additional research on the topic.
Wow, that is some great info. Makes sense, more exposure could cause the blade to dull faster?

I just mentioned this in another thread. I was trying out my new "Lupo .95 SB" with an Astra SP. Following my normal routine, hot shower, Proraso Green Pre-Shave, Proraso Green Shave Cream, etc., etc.

On my 4th shave, I noticed the blade starting to pull. A clear indicator this blade was reaching its end. I finished my shave and tossed the blade in the "Blade Bank".

Now, normally, with my GC 84-P or GC 68-P, or any of the milder razors I've used, I get at least 5 shaves from an Astra SP.

In the other thread, I asked if anyone knew of a correlation between a wider blade gap, plus more blade exposure and the premature dulling of the blade? A part of me feels theres 'a ring of truth', that a wider blade gap and greater blade exposure could cause the blade to prematurely dull. Again, I have no empirical data to support my hypothesis, merely anecdotal. A 'feeling', if you will.

It surprised me. I seldom, if ever, get indicators of a dull blade, like 'pulling/tugging', before routinely tossing the blade in the "Blade Bank" after 5 shaves. I picked 5 shaves, arbitrarily because I felt it maximized the 'value' of the blade. And, it coincides with a 'work week'..

So, what say the "collective wisdom"?

b/r

ON_1

I just mentioned this in another thread. I was trying out my new "Lupo .95 SB" with an Astra SP. Following my normal routine, hot shower, Proraso Green Pre-Shave, Proraso Green Shave Cream, etc., etc.

On my 4th shave, I noticed the blade starting to pull. A clear indicator this blade was reaching its end. I finished my shave and tossed the blade in the "Blade Bank".

Now, normally, with my GC 84-P or GC 68-P, or any of the milder razors I've used, I get at least 5 shaves from an Astra SP.

In the other thread, I asked if anyone knew of a correlation between a wider blade gap, plus more blade exposure and the premature dulling of the blade? A part of me feels theres 'a ring of truth', that a wider blade gap and greater blade exposure could cause the blade to prematurely dull. Again, I have no empirical data to support my hypothesis, merely anecdotal. A 'feeling', if you will.

It surprised me. I seldom, if ever, get indicators of a dull blade, like 'pulling/tugging', before routinely tossing the blade in the "Blade Bank" after 5 shaves. I picked 5 shaves, arbitrarily because I felt it maximized the 'value' of the blade. And, it coincides with a 'work week'..

So, what say the "collective wisdom"?

b/r

ON_1

I won't count myself among the 'collective wisdom' but I'm happy to share my .02 anyway. ;)

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I have not generally detected a difference in blade life due to head geometry. However, plenty of people have so there's clearly something to it.

What I have noticed is that the 'indicators of a dull blade' you mention are far easier felt in more aggresive razors. Not necessarily in terms of blade gap alone but certainly in terms of blade exposure.

Which...makes some sense. After all, the more blade that is on your face the more of it's characteristics you should feel.

In addition, I'm a cold water shaver and what that has meant for me (among other things) is that every little nuance of a blade is that much more apparent.

A cold water prep leaves absolutely no margin for funny business and so blades that are either losing effectiveness or just bad in the first place will make themselves known in a hurry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom