What's new

Blade Wars: Polsilver Super Iridium vs. Wizamet Iridium Super

I'm curious. How could I set up a double blind test with razor blades?

Remove the wrappers and place on counter. Blindfold yourself. Shuffle the blades a bit. Load razors. Remove blindfold. Apply bandages. Clean up the blood. Shave upon return from the doctor. :blush:

Won't it be horrible if you finish this and realise that the permanent marker has washed off and you don't know which is which?

Ha!

(I also don't understand the double blind test post, to me it seems like that is what you are already doing).

Shave 8
Face lathered with Tabac
blue=right side, silver=left side

Another very good two-pass shave today. Again the silver was a little smoother than the blue on both passes. I think I have enough information to declare a winner.

The margin is small, but the winner is the silver, as it has been smoother throughout the shaves. The blade in the blue razor is very good, but on several shaves, it felt as if there is a tiny irregularity or burr in it. It felt like it could use a little stropping or corking, after which it would be fine. I don't think I received a counterfeit blade. If I did, I suspect the blade would have been terrible, and blue was certainly not terrible.

I believe they are the same blades. I suspect that they were made years apart, and there has to be some deviation in quality from one batch of blades to the next. I would be interested in trying out a Polish-made Wizamet someday and seeing how it compares.

In any case, the winner of this Blade War is the blade in the silver razor.

As luck would have it, the laundry marker held out. The Polsilver was in the blue razor, so the winner is:

WIZAMET IRIDIUM SUPER

As luck would have it, the laundry marker held out. The Polsilver was in the blue razor, so the winner is:

WIZAMET IRIDIUM SUPER

COnfirmed sighting.... Though they are very similar and impossible to tell apart visually, for my face the Wizzy's are just a tad smoother than the PolSilvers.

Good work. As a lover of experimentation and the scientific method, I really enjoy these threads.

And another duel to the death in the ongoing Blade Wars saga comes to an end. Thanks again [MENTION=93357]cw62803[/MENTION], I read every one.

The mighty Polsilver has gone 0-2 in recent bouts. Perhaps a matchup with Derby will allow it to go out on a high note since they're being discontinued :blink: I hope they're still available at a decent price after the Christmas restraint so I can stock up.

And another duel to the death in the ongoing Blade Wars saga comes to an end. Thanks again @cw62803, I read every one.

The mighty Polsilver has gone 0-2 in recent bouts. Perhaps a matchup with Derby will allow it to go out on a high note since they're being discontinued :blink: I hope they're still available at a decent price after the Christmas restraint so I can stock up.
I've read all the threads about production recently stopping, but I'll bet there are literally millions of them out there, so I wouldn't expect the price to escalate much in the next couple of months. I hope they make them again someday, because despite going 0 for 2 in blade wars, they are fantastic blades.

I wouldn't. I think the shave I got with the blue razor was more rough than what I usually get from a Polsilver. In the past, I've found them to be extraordinarily smooth.

I think we need a retest, you mentioned the the polsilver might have a bur on it and that perhaps it needed a stroping.

Satistcially you need 30 sample points to get a good RMSD and represtenation. :001_smile This blade could have been an outlier.

my guess is if you do a double-blind, shave with one for a week then the other the next week that you would not be able to correctly identify which blade is which, however if you guessed you would still have a 50% chance of being right.
You would have to repeat the test many times and correctly identify the correct blades consistently to reach a rock solid identification. Hence you would have to feel a marked difference between the two blades. Coming for the same factory, possibly same metal, same production line, tolerances etc. I can't see being able to do that ... but what do I know ... I am onlyt guessing myself ...

Again, I just wanted to say these are great reads. I ordered a pack of perma-sharp supers based off an earlier blade war of yours, such a great blade! thanks again. Cheers!

Top Bottom