What's new

Blade Wars: Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus vs. Voskhod

About a year ago or so there were some posts regarding the uneven ones. I had already ordered 100 but they hadn't arrived yet. I examined them when they came in and sure enough, mine were from the bad batch.
How could you tell they were from the bad batch?

Shave 3

face lathered with TOBS Sandalwood soap
black=right side, silver=left side

Pass 1: black - Smooth, sharp - very nice pass
silver - Dull, draggy, and unpleasant. This blade is not going to get any better, and frankly, I don't want to shave with it any more. I'm tossing it. This blade war is over.

The winner is black. The black, as many of you have already guessed is the Gillette Rubie. I am disappointed. A while back I wrote down some of the best razor/blade combinations I've tried - and the Wet Shave Club razor/Voskhod combo was among them. This is the second time I've had a Voskhod that has crapped the bed. The Rubie, is awesome. I two more passes with it, and it was fantastic. It is in the same league as the other top-shelf blades from PPI (GSB, Perma-sharp, etc.) I wish I had put it up against a more worthy competitor. I'm going to enjoy going solo with this Rubie for the next few shaves. I have one more Rubie. Some day I'll put it up against a top performer and see how it does.

I'm surprised. The Voskhod receives a lot of commendatory praise in this forum and the Rubie is little talked about. Apparently one of the hidden gems from St Petersburg. Thanks for the competition and enjoy the Rubie. Very enlightening.

For me, Voskhods work best when my beard is long (3 days +) and fully hydrated (say I just came in from cutting the lawn and had a shower before shaving). With 1 days stubble they don't seem to cut it. ;-).

For me, Voskhods work best when my beard is long (3 days +) and fully hydrated (say I just came in from cutting the lawn and had a shower before shaving). With 1 days stubble they don't seem to cut it. ;-).

You are more than welcome to come and cut my lawn if you'd like to confirm your theory.

I hate to say that this result doesn't surprise me. So basically 1 full face shave with a voskhod and it's completely gone. Matches my experiences.

I rarely get a good shave from a Voskhod, and usually stick with Feather, Astra, Polsilver, Derby Extra or GSB. May need to hunt down some Rubies....

I got 100 Voskies and they are good for just 2 shaves with three passes. I have medium coarse dense beard and I shave before shower. The only way possible to get 3rd shave out of these Voskies for me is to shave after shower but the 3rd pass is tuggy.
Overall it is 2 shave and done for me.

I've had at least a couple of bad Voskhod, and a bad Rapira Platinum lux too. They where not even dull, they didn't have any edge at all. Was like dragging a piece of paper on your face :)
Had really good shaves from them, but these handful of duds ruined the joy of using them.
There are a lot of great blades out there!

Top Bottom