What's new

Blade Wars: Astra Superior Platinum vs Trig Silver Edge Stainless Steel

On Christmas in 1914, French, British, and German troops along the Western Front observed an unofficial truce during which they exchanged gifts and conversation.

http://www.history.com/topics/christmas/history-of-christmas/videos/the-christmas-truce

No such sentimentality here on Blade Wars!

Blade Wars: Astra Superior Platinum vs Trig Silver Edge Stainless Steel

This blade war pits together Astra Superior Platinum and Trig Sliver Edge Stainless Steel. Astra Superior Platinums come in a green box and are manufactured by Petersburg Products International in St. Petersburg, Russia. I paid $10, delivered, for 100 Astras on eBay. I received a 10-pack of Trig with a Wet Shave Club shipment. I’ve never used them before. They are manufactured in Pakistan. They are very nicely packaged and sell on eBay for $21 for one hundred.

I will use two identical Razorock Protege Razors. The razors, whose heads are clones of the DE89, have stainless steel handles with removable caps. I will color one of caps with a blue Sharpie so I can tell them apart, but will not know which blade is in which razor.

I typically face lather and do two passes, the first with the grain, the second across the grain. When I do a third pass, it is usually against the grain. I’ll try to keep the conditions similar for everything except the blade. I’ll use one razor on each side of my face and switch sides daily. I’ll describe what I see and feel, and invite you to share your thoughts along the way.

So what do you think? Anyone have experience with Treet? I love my Pakistani-made razors. I wonder how the blade will perform.

PS -

I hope you and your loved ones have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy, peaceful, joyful New Year! (And a lot of good shaves.)

Merry Christmas to you and to all.

I've used Treet DuraSharps and Silvers, both carbon blades. No experience with the stainless steel Trigs. The Astras will likely have an easy win as they are rightly considered one of the better blades and a long-time favorite. But I will be hoping for the underdog Trigs to give them a good contest.

Merry Christmas CW, and all members and guest. May you each experience God's presence and grace in a mighty way this holiday.

Merry Christmas tou you and your loved one c-dub. And thanks for the early Cristmas present!

I have only used Treet Platinum SS and they were a surprisingly good blade that flies under the radar. I've never tried a Trig but I suspect Astra will roll over them. Nonetheless, I wouldn't be surprised if this one is closer than many might think, but I'll say Astra to win within 4 shaves.

I finally got my fix! :thumbup:

Shave 1

Face lathered with Stirling Arkadia
blue razor=right side, silver razor=left side

Pass 1 - Blue felt sharp and smooth. Nice clean pass. Silver was good, but tugged a little on my cheeks.

Pass 2 - Blue, again, felt sharp and smooth. I could feel the whiskers pulling a little before silver chopped them off.

Followed with some RR Son of Zeus aftershave and Nivea balm. I have a slight weeper in the middle of my chin - I'm not sure which blade caused it. The shave on the right side of my face (blue) seems just a tiny bit closer.

Leader after one shave: blue.

Merry Christmas to you and to all.

I've used Treet DuraSharps and Silvers, both carbon blades. No experience with the stainless steel Trigs. The Astras will likely have an easy win as they are rightly considered one of the better blades and a long-time favorite. But I will be hoping for the underdog Trigs to give them a good contest.

Merry Christmas, [MENTION=10312]homh[/MENTION].

Shave 2
face lathered with Arkadia
silver=right, blue=left

Pass 1: Silver was very nice. Smooth, clean pass.
Blue: good pass, but a little scratchy

Pass 2: Silver was good - could have been a little smoother. Blue was nice - smooth and sharp feeling.

This shave is a tie. No nicks or irritation.

Followed with Son of Zeus aftershave. I smell better than the Christmas tree. I hope Santa Claus was good to you this morning. Have a wonderful day today. Merry Christmas, B&Bers!

[MENTION=93357]cw62803[/MENTION]

I've just discovered your Blade Wars threads, and they're great, thank you. :thumbup:
View attachment 712028 View attachment 712029
Hopefully those are the right pics (I love pics! :001_wub:).

I'm off to Google now to see if I can find all of your Blade Wars threads (because I want to read them ALL).

Shave 3
Face lathered with good ol' Arko
blue=right, silver=left

I had a treat today. I did a three-pass shave with two days of growth.

Pass 1 - Blue had to work a little to get through two days of growth. It did fine, with just a little resistance. Silver was very similar. It got through with just a little pull.

Pass 2 - Both razors glided beautifully. Great pass. If I were in a hurry I would have ended the shave here.

Pass 3 (ATG): Both were very good, but blue was a little better. It offered almost no resistance going against the grain. Silver was good, but there was just a little more pull.

Followed with some Pinaud Citrus Musk and some Man Lotion. I have a small weeper on the left (silver) side of my chin. I tend to get more weepers this time of year - when the heat is on and the air is dry - than I due in the humidity of summer.

Slight advantage: Blue

I'm really loving this thread CW. :thumbup1: (And I'm slowly catching up on all the others that I missed.)

I don't know whether you have more (even loads more) Blade Wars planned. If not, I'd like to make a request.

Would you do a Red IP vs Silver Star war? The reason I ask is that I'd never heard of Silver Star till reading this thread... at which point I purchased 200 (something totally unheard of for minimalist me). I haven't trialled many blades, but I have four current favorites (in no particular order [except alphabetical]):

Feather
Personna Red
Silver Star
Zaza

If that's a possibility CW, I'd gladly send you a few of each from over the pond. Either way, let me know please. :001_smile

I'm really loving this thread CW. :thumbup1: (And I'm slowly catching up on all the others that I missed.)

I don't know whether you have more (even loads more) Blade Wars planned. If not, I'd like to make a request.

Would you do a Red IP vs Silver Star war? The reason I ask is that I'd never heard of Silver Star till reading this thread... at which point I purchased 200 (something totally unheard of for minimalist me). I haven't trialled many blades, but I have four current favorites (in no particular order [except alphabetical]):

Feather
Personna Red
Silver Star
Zaza

If that's a possibility CW, I'd gladly send you a few of each from over the pond. Either way, let me know please. :001_smile
Hi,
I'm glad you enjoy reading these threads. I enjoy doing them. You and the others who comment make it a pleasure.

I'd love to try your suggested blade war. Thanks to the generosity of [MENTION=104562]mr_houston[/MENTION], I have some Red IPs, but I don't have (and haven't ever tried) Silver Star. My experience with Red IPs is highly positive. I've only used them once or twice, but found them to be very, very smooth and plenty sharp. If Silver Star can give them a run for their money, they are some serious razor blades.

Top Bottom