What's new

Blade Wars: Astra Superior Platinum vs. Astra Superior Stainless

Blade Wars: Astra Superior Platinum vs. Astra Superior Stainless

This Blade War features two blades made in the PPI plant in St. Petersburg, Russia. Both of these blades can be purchased for about $10 per hundred. Astra SP is a well-loved blade that I haven't always had good luck with. I'm not sure why, but I've cut myself more with them than I have other blades. I'm not sure if I've ever tried Astra Stainless before, but in any case, I'm interested in letting these siblings duke it out.

Thanks to @Monkeyman for sending me the SS blades!

I'll put the blades in matching Wet Shave Club razors, mark one razor with a black laundry marker, and shave half my face with each. I won't know which blade is in which razor. I'll report on what I experience and invite you to chime in with your thoughts, predictions, and (I'm talking to you, @CigarSmoka) video clips of the Klitschko brothers - two other Russian siblings known for their duking.

Great matchup once again! I predict a close battle for the first few rounds but SP will show superior cardio training going into the middle rounds where SS will start to gas out. SP are a bit rough but can go the distance doling out one good shave after another for a full old school 15 round championship bout. SS provide a good shave but have nicked me more than the other 25 or so brands I’ve tried put together, leaving me bleeding like Holyfield’s ear after the infamous Tyson match. Barring any illegal tactics on the part of SS, SP will show it truly is the Superior fighter by round 5.

For your viewing pleasure:

My experience has been a stalemate. The SP is sharper but less smooth, while the SS is smoother but less sharp. The difference is minute so I keep them both stocked. Ha! Can't wait to hear about your experience!

Very interesting to see how the SS will perform. Do you have blades from the latest batch (one side laser etched) or from a previous one (black printing on both sides)?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Another blade wars, right on.:a14:
The way I experienced these two blades- Astra SS will be the best for first 3 to 4 shaves and the Astra SP will catch up on the 4th and slowly take the lead on the 6-7 round:a11:. Nice crystal ball:a45:

Great matchup once again! I predict a close battle for the first few rounds but SP will show superior cardio training going into the middle rounds where SS will start to gas out. SP are a bit rough but can go the distance doling out one good shave after another for a full old school 15 round championship bout. SS provide a good shave but have nicked me more than the other 25 or so brands I’ve tried put together, leaving me bleeding like Holyfield’s ear after the infamous Tyson match. Barring any illegal tactics on the part of SS, SP will show it truly is the Superior fighter by round 5.

For your viewing pleasure:

I can always count on you for a bold prediction and a great video clip. I could feel those punches through my computer screen.

Shave 1
Face lathered with a Valobra Shaving Stick that @monkeyman sent me. Wow, what a great soap!
Black razor=right side of face, silver razor=left side of face

Pass 1 - The black razor felt like a sharp razor should. There was some "sharp blade prickle" as the blade cut right through my day and a half beard. The silver razor also felt sharp. There may have been just a tiny bit more drag, but it too had that sharp blade feel.

Pass 2 - Black was very smooth, as there really wasn't much left to shave. If today was a work day, I could have easily stopped after the first pass and looked presentable. The silver was even smoother.

I intended to do a third pass, as it is a relaxing Saturday afternoon, but there was no need. I have a nice, clean shave. I got a little sting from a splash of Brut, but I'm good to go.

First shave: Tie.

Top Bottom