What's new

Blade versus soaps.

I use mainly Feathers and normally toss them away after 3 shaves (with 3 passes) in combination with my soaps where I'm looking for good cushion. (triple milled soaps and/or tallow soaps)
But now I can extend the life of the blade with min. 1 shave when I use Proraso on the fourth shave and still get the same comfortable and close shave I get with a new blade in combo with Tabac for example.

So for all the people who normally toss their blades after 3 times when used with soaps which delivers comfortable cushiony lather, try a fourth shave with Proraso if you have it and see if you can an extra good shave out of your blade.

Note: It will probably work as well for certain creams and (glycerin) soaps that deliver a lather with the same characteristics as Proraso but I don't have them.

The blade is the cheapest part of my shave so I would toss a blade after 1 or 2 shaves if it wasn't perfect.

I'm not sure I want to extend the life of a blade, if perfection is one shave then that's fine by me. At 0.2c per shave I can use a new blade every time.

Cheers

I use mainly Feathers and normally toss them away after 3 shaves (with 3 passes) in combination with my soaps where I'm looking for good cushion. (triple milled soaps and/or tallow soaps)
But now I can extend the life of the blade with min. 1 shave when I use Proraso on the fourth shave and still get the same comfortable and close shave I get with a new blade in combo with Tabac for example.

So for all the people who normally toss their blades after 3 times when used with soaps which delivers comfortable cushiony lather, try a fourth shave with Proraso if you have it and see if you can an extra good shave out of your blade.

Note: It will probably work as well for certain creams and (glycerin) soaps that deliver a lather with the same characteristics as Proraso but I don't have them.

I'm confused. If Proraso works so well for you, why use it only on the 4th shave? Maybe if you used it on the first three shaves as well you'd get five shaves from the blade.

I'm confused. If Proraso works so well for you, why use it only on the 4th shave? Maybe if you used it on the first three shaves as well you'd get five shaves from the blade.

Proraso doesn't work for me in combo with a new Feather blade.
Proraso allows very close shaves, but a new Feather is very sharp and sometimes a bit rough so I prefer a good cushiony lather that my other soaps provide me with to protect my skin.

Proraso allows very close shaves, but a new Feather is very sharp and sometimes a bit rough so I prefer a good cushiony lather that my other soaps provide me with to protect my skin.

so now that the feather is more dull you can squeeze out another shave. Interesting.

so now that the feather is more dull you can squeeze out another shave. Interesting.

I wouldn't say dull but less sharp and a lot smoother.
And it definately doesn't feel like 'squeezing' another shave where you are balancing on the edge. Not at all.

I started out a while ago with Proraso and Astra blades and it worked very well. It were good close shaves but the Astra's were not sharp enough when I started with soaps.
They pulled more which I didn't get when using Proraso.
In other terms, Proraso made the blade feel sharper.
That's why a less sharp Feather blade still feels sharp on my fourth shaves with Proraso.

Proraso is the only cream I have so I don't know if it goes up for other creams as well.

Sounds like you are using the wrong blades in combination w/ your creams if it is rough for you.. Just because the blades are ninja sharp doesn't make those blades the best solution. Maybe the Feathers w/ your soaps work fine but maybe consider some Derby's or something more forgiving with creams.

Hi Gunter,

Was just thinking; maybe you do not realize you're stretching out and the 4th shave appears less rough because of Proraso numbing properties. Seriously, could be...:confused1

A good point would be YOU to try a 4th shave with another glyce-based cream or soap, something with more slickness. I guess your feed back would be interesting in that case.

I find the Feathers mighty sharp until they suddenly get dull and might tug/drag. Strangely these are the only ones with such behavior, as if they suffered some kind of subit death. I think they are definitely some kind of On/Off kind of blades.
I usually get 4 shaves out of most if not all my blades, any brands. Yet, the Feathers sometimes (not so often, but let's say frequently get discarded after 3 shaves.)

Huh, interesting...:001_huh:

Good luck, keep us posted, whatever you try!! :wink:

C_J

Sounds like you are using the wrong blades in combination w/ your creams if it is rough for you.. Just because the blades are ninja sharp doesn't make those blades the best solution. Maybe the Feathers w/ your soaps work fine but maybe consider some Derby's or something more forgiving with creams.

That is exactly what I was saying.
new Feathers with most of soaps -> yes yes.
Feathers after 3 shaves with most of soaps -> no no
Astra's with most of my soaps -> no no

new Feathers with Proraso -> no no
Feathers after 3 shaves with Proraso -> yes yes
Astra's with Proraso -> yes yes

For me is stands as:
Sharp and rougher blades like Feather requires more cushion and less sharp and smooth blades like Astra (or a Feather after a couple of shaves) requires less cushion and more slickness.
But this is a theory for my beard and YMMV.

BTW, I toss out any blade at any given time when it starts pulling and/or might give me irritation so I'm not stretching the blade at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom