What's new

Blade Testing Procedure??

I have a few new blades to try out, and before just jumping in I started (over?)thinking and decided to ask how others approach this.

In the past, I've just loaded up blade X and shaved with it until it's done, then moved on to blade Y, then Z, etc., all the time trying to remember how each blade felt. Other than what I would call extreme outliers I have not noticed much difference.

So I started thinking about shaving one side of my face with blade X, then switch out to Y for the other side, to get more of a "head to head" comparison.

Anyway, I'm curious how others do blade comparisons.

That is one way to do it. I will try a blade for 2 shaves, than switch out to another. Consecutive days. Same razor, same technique, same cream. Everything must be the same, even your prep...

That is one way to do it. I will try a blade for 2 shaves, than switch out to another. Consecutive days. Same razor, same technique, same cream. Everything must be the same, even your prep...
Yes I completely concur about keeping all the other variables the same, which I guess could be seen as a pro or a con of my "half of the face with one, half with the other" idea -- loading and unloading the razor would be kind of a PITA but everything else would sure be the same.

Whether testing razors, blades, or soaps, I like to do a face off. That means using one set of conditions to shave one side of my face and shave the other side at the same time changing only one parameter.

If I am testing two different razors, I use a new blade from the same tuck in each and use the same lather on both sides.

If I am testing two different soaps, I use similar brushes to build a lather on each side of my face and use the same razor and blade to shave both sides.

If I am testing two different blades, I use the blades in two identical razors, one for each side of my face. I have a EJ DE89 razor and a Muhle R89 which have identical heads, but slightly different handles so I can tell which is which. By using this face-off method, I know that any differences I observe during the shave are due to differences in the blade rather than some other factor. The method you suggest will certainly work for distinguishing between two significantly different blades, but if you are comparing two fairly similar blades, the method might not be quite sensitive enough.

Reactions: tm3
So I started thinking about shaving one side of my face with blade X, then switch out to Y for the other side, to get more of a "head to head" comparison.
Whether testing razors, blades, or soaps, I like to do a face off. That means using one set of conditions to shave one side of my face and shave the other side at the same time changing only one parameter.
I don't know, unless you're ambidextrous, is it really an equal comparison to do "half the face"? I find it slightly different to do each side - slightly different angle, and when stretching skin with my left hand, I have to reach across my face to stretch the right side. Maybe the next shave, do the same blades but switch halves of the face, sort of like a halftime. Don't get me started on overthinking! 🤣🤣

Seriously though, I'm surprised you have a hard time telling the difference. I thought that would be the case for me too, but I've done several head-to-heads (1 week with blade X, 1 week with blade Y) and only maybe once so far have I felt like it's been too close to call.

I am not that formal with my blade evaluation.

For me, the key is to stick with high-quality kit that I use routinely. In other words, top-notch razor, my favored badger brushes, excellent soap and splash.

The only question is, ‘How does this blade perform?’ My goal is to decide whether it is ‘top-tier’ (best 10% or so), ‘mid-tier’ (roughly 80% or so of blades that are usable), or ‘bottom-tier’ (lowest 10% that I really do not wish to use.) That‘s plenty to deal with first thing in the AM!!

The half face thing doesn't work for me for the reason @T Bone pointed out. Right now I'm evaluating blades to find a suitable replacement for Astra SP. Some built in specific evaluation criteria is already at hand. The blade must be as smooth, shave as close and last as long as an Astra SP. Simple.

Like you @tm3 I usually use up a blade until it's done to answer the longevity question. Absolutely vital - I keep a record of comments about each blade. Not even every shave but at least the beginning and end of each blade. Some reference to the three criteria above vs Astra SP and an maybe comment comparing the outgoing blade to the first shave of the new blade. Nothing fancy but something to refer to weeks later.

Last edited:
Well, for example, use the part of your face which has the most stubborn growth for reference. Does the blade drag? Does it make you feel any type of discomfort? How much redness/irritation is there left after the shave? Are the most sensitive parts of your face full of weepers?

For example, the first time I tried Shark platinum on my chin it dragged so much that it made me tear up, I threw it away immediately and never touched it again. Tried ASCO reds, no drag at all, no blade feel, smooth as butter, but it caused irritation. Tried Astra SP, gave me weepers on the neck every time.

Just make not of how your whiskers and your skin reacts to the blade.

I have a few new blades to try out, and before just jumping in I started (over?)thinking and decided to ask how others approach this.

In the past, I've just loaded up blade X and shaved with it until it's done, then moved on to blade Y, then Z, etc., all the time trying to remember how each blade felt. Other than what I would call extreme outliers I have not noticed much difference.

Anyway, I'm curious how others do blade comparisons.
I’m a BBS shaver. Very few BBS shaves are accomplished without medium-light too medium-heavy buffing. Judging razors or blades I would just do my best shave sans any buffing. My finished DFS shave and skin comfort would be an accurate judge of razor and/or blade performance. I have sensitive skin and that might be an advantage under test conditions.

All really good thoughts and comments, gentlemen, and much appreciated! I think I’ll mull it over through the weekend and decide how to start the testing on Monday.

Thanks again!

I test new blades via normal use until the shave quality begins to deteriorate to understand both quality and longevity. Always test at least two blades and if results differ significantly will go to a third to better understand typical performance. I will also rotate through all of the 2 - 5 soaps that I will have in play at any point in time. Right now that includes two of my custom blends, Williams Mug and Van Der Hagen Luxury.

I don't know, unless you're ambidextrous, is it really an equal comparison to do "half the face"? I find it slightly different to do each side - slightly different angle, and when stretching skin with my left hand, I have to reach across my face to stretch the right side. Maybe the next shave, do the same blades but switch halves of the face, sort of like a halftime. Don't get me started on overthinking! 🤣🤣

Seriously though, I'm surprised you have a hard time telling the difference. I thought that would be the case for me too, but I've done several head-to-heads (1 week with blade X, 1 week with blade Y) and only maybe once so far have I felt like it's been too close to call.
I do have a dominant hand, but I play the piano, guitar and drums with both hands, type with both hands and shave with a straight razor using both hands. When using a DE razor, I tend to shave with my dominant hand, but my shaves are typically quite similar on both sides of my face. If I want to be really scientific, I can shave one time with the blades in one configuration and then switch sides for the second shave.

I can easily tell the difference between most blades. However, when using some mid-sharp blades, some are too close to call. For example, I would have a very difficult time distinguishing between a 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (green), Gillette Platinum, and the Gillette Silver Blue. All three PPI blades are similar in sharpness and smoothness.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Whatever makes you happy is a good method. I just use the blade. If the first few swipes seem particularly bad I throw that one out and try the next one in the pack (there are bad blades out there).

I suppose it depends on where you are in your blade selection process. I've been down that road and have a handful of blades I like. A new blade either shaves and feels good enough to join the club or it doesn't.

You also have to decide what's important to you: longevity, closeness of shave, comfort, etc. I usually use a PolSilver SI. I think that Feather makes a great blade, but it isn't cheap and the longevity for me is quite poor - so I don't buy them often. But for people with a beard that requires a Feather that's a non-issue.

I got a 10 pack of King C. Gillette blades for Christmas. Very smooth, which I like a lot, but I'm not sure they're quite sharp enough. I've only used one, so I don't like to judge on such a small sample (unless they're terrible).

And if you don't notice much difference buy what's cheap.

Hard to do…

1. Will you introduce your own bias if you know which blade you’re using?
2. Is there really a larger delta between 2 different blades vs. 2 blades from the same pack vs. Side A of a single blade and it’s Side B?
3. Will one blade perform consistently better than another across various combinations of your shaving materials?
4. Will your subjective assessment criteria remain consistent day after day?

I made my choices many years ago, mostly by reading reviews and a little trial & error. I ended up with two blades: Persona Meds and Feathers.

YMMV

Hard to do…

1. Will you introduce your own bias if you know which blade you’re using?
Re the above, I've always thought that it might be fun to do some double blind testing of shave products. Seems like it might be fairly simple to do with blades, not so simple to do with razors as the feel of the handle, weight, etc. would probably be giveaways. I've read of double blind testing wrt wine and audiophile equipment that has yielding some very surprising, and not predicted, results.

FWIW, I found the following helpful in deciding which blades to choose to use in my upcoming comparison:

Shaving one side of your face with one blade and the other with another is a poor comparison.
Different sides require different hands. One hand is dominant over the other, so angles and pressures will never be the same.
You may notice that you always seem to nick or abrade your face in the same places that happen to be accessed by one particular hand.

Re the above, I've always thought that it might be fun to do some double blind testing of shave products. Seems like it might be fairly simple to do with blades, not so simple to do with razors as the feel of the handle, weight, etc. would probably be giveaways. I've read of double blind testing wrt wine and audiophile equipment that has yielding some very surprising, and not predicted, results.

FWIW, I found the following helpful in deciding which blades to choose to use in my upcoming comparison:

Thanks. I read the article.

I’m gonna try the Green Lizard.

991EF58D-16BB-4CA6-926D-25606140C5E7.jpeg

I just shave with them. If I like it, I'll try them in my other razors to see how they do. I don't keep blades that don't work well in all my razors. Too much trouble remembering which one to use in what razor. I give a new blade 4 shaves as that is my typical usage for my blades. I will keep my soap and brush the same as I switch to other razors to eliminate variables.

I just shave with them. If I like it, I'll try them in my other razors to see how they do. I don't keep blades that don't work well in all my razors. Too much trouble remembering which one to use in what razor. I give a new blade 4 shaves as that is my typical usage for my blades. I will keep my soap and brush the same as I switch to other razors to eliminate variables.
This.

Top Bottom