What's new

Blade test update

Just a quick heads up on my blade test from the sample pack. Been through Merkur and Derby, and I really could no tell the difference. Yesterday I put my first Israeli Persona in and WOW, that was smooth. Such a good difference that I had to post about it. Day two with it was not as slick and I had a couple of small nicks but other than that it's a much better blade. Next week is the Gillette followed by the feather.

On a side note, I also tried some Trupers Violet for the first time. Very nice cream.

I had the same general experience. I have had better results with the Israeli than either Derby or Merkur. Now, I used the Merkur blade when I first started DE shaving and not since then, so I need to go back to it now that my technique is better and see what I think. But, I definitely prefer the Israeli blades over Derby.

I'm chomping at the bit to try the Swedish Gillettes, but want to get a little more technique refinement before going to that bad boy. And, Feathers will have to wait another month or more.:eek:

YMMV.

I used a Derby for the first time yesterday and I must admit I had a much better shave with it than with the Merkur blades.
I have some personna blades next in line.

Day 3 with the blade and I'm getting some neck bumps. This is not normal, but I wonder if it's due to the blade cutting closer then others. Gave me a bit of irritation.

dustind said:
Day 3 with the blade and I'm getting some neck bumps. This is not normal, but I wonder if it's due to the blade cutting closer then others. Gave me a bit of irritation.

Well, my 100-pack of Israeli blades arrived yesterday so, of course, I HAD to try them. It was my first shave with the Personnas, so I didn't really know what to expect.

I don't have any neck bumps like you do. In fact, it was a very BBS experience. However, it was a bit more irritating that my Derby blades, but only marginally. It could also be the shaver. I was using my Gillette Super Adjustable long handle which has yet to provide me with a shave as comfortable as my 40s SuperSpeed or my Merkur HD. Maybe the second shave with it wlil be smoother. I think I'll pop one of those Personnas in my SS and take it for a spin, that'll give me a real benchmark I think.

Still, all things considered, I think the Israeli Personnas are top shelf, and I think the 100pack was a good choice, to go along with the 90+ Derby blades I still have.

Yeah, I think I'm set for a couple years or so. Especially once my 10 new Feather blades arrive.

Really, I don't have a problem. I can stop buying shave stuff any time I want. I just don't want to right now. :wink:

Peace,

Pierre

vox_rox,
How many days are you using the blades? I'm being concistant and going through my test batch 5 days each (m-f) with no shaving on the weekend. Day on was awsome with two day growth, day two not bad, but today was day three and I got the bumps. I'll see if 4 and 5 get worse. If so then my next test will be to try a new blade after shave 2.

Top Bottom