What's new

Blade tension/stiffness

I think i know how a slant razor works. If the cutting edge was not a straight line, and the free end of the blade was twisted i would not want shave with the razor, but in this case it would be stiffer.
I am just a structural engineer that tries to explain this in my second language.

I do disagree with you. I think your simple analysis doesn't account for the change in the blade's moment of inertia when it's twisted within a slant razor, and that is exactly what makes the blade within a torsion type slant razor stiffer. Even some simple experiments with a business card, on my desk right now, show a marked increase in scraping stiffness when the card is twisted as it would be in a torsion slant razor. In a razor, I can't say whether or not that affects the shave. However, it's not right to say that the blade stiffness is the same.

I do disagree with you. I think your simple analysis doesn't account for the change in the blade's moment of inertia when it's twisted within a slant razor, and that is exactly what makes the blade within a torsion type slant razor stiffer. Even some simple experiments with a business card, on my desk right now, show a marked increase in scraping stiffness when the card is twisted as it would be in a torsion slant razor. In a razor, I can't say whether or not that affects the shave. However, it's not right to say that the blade stiffness is the same.
I understand the comparison. If you force a tiny strip of you card to conform to a straight plane between two straight support lines, the tiny strip does not care about what is going on before the support points.

Funny you mention the Nacet blade. My Tatara razor has a really rigid blade support design. I recently got some Nacet blades. These felt softer in this particular razor then some other blades. I can imagine that this particular blade might not work as well in a more flexible blade support desig, like the R41, especially if you have coarse beard.
It would be interesting to know what is different about this particular blade. The Gillette Yellow blade works really well in my r41, but feel rough in my Tatara.
The difference in elastic properties of the different blades should not make much of a difference. Is the Nacet thinner?
IMO, yes it is noticeably thinner than the German Wilkies I am using. Also,
Funny you mention the Nacet blade. My Tatara razor has a really rigid blade support design. I recently got some Nacet blades. These felt softer in this particular razor then some other blades. I can imagine that this particular blade might not work as well in a more flexible blade support desig, like the R41, especially if you have coarse beard.
It would be interesting to know what is different about this particular blade. The Gillette Yellow blade works really well in my r41, but feel rough in my Tatara.
The difference in elastic properties of the different blades should not make much of a difference. Is the Nacet thinner?
IMO, yes, it is thinner than the German Wilkies. Feathers are thinner than the Wilkies. One reason I don't buy them. The way my razor(Parker 91R) holds a blade in place does not offer a lot of support for a thin blade.

I understand the comparison. If you force a tiny strip of you card to conform to a straight plane between two straight support lines, the tiny strip does not care about what is going on before the support points.

It's not about what's going on before the blade support points, if I understand your terminology correctly. It's the change in the moment of inertia of the blade between the blade edge and the blade support points. If you stop and think about it, I think you'll realize that that is no longer a simple rectangular cross-section in a slant razor. The size of the strip between the blade support point and the blade edge only affects the magnitude of the difference. Regardless of the size of that strip, assuming it's not infinitesimally small, there is a difference.

The earliest double edge safety razor was originally designed for carbon steel blades that were noticeably thicker than modern blades. When Gillette introduced the earliest "Thin" blade, it was carbon steel and would be stiffer than a stainless blade. This ultimately means that most of the blades in use to-day, being stainless, are held under less tension in a standard razor compared to when originally designed (standard modern razors haven't really changed the same basic design). Maybe that was what prompted the invention of the slant - the need to increase the tension for thinner blades.

From experimentation, a carbon steel blade or a Personna '74 is definitely more "aggressive" than a stainless blade. Razors I dismiss as far too mild suddenly become effective when paired with a carbon blade. Given that most blades these days are stainless, that perhaps explains why slants have gained popularity (or, conversely, why some people only use carbon steel blades) - because the tension/stiffness of a blade makes a noticeable difference (I do not subscribe to the "guillotine" explanation of why a slant is more efficient).
This is the only thing you said that I agree with: "The earliest double edge safety razor was originally designed for carbon steel blades that were noticeably thicker than modern blades."
I hate to say it, but you got me to look up the modulus of elasticity of several metals and there isn't a significant difference. If it is significantly different post heat treating then you would need proprietary information to establish that. If the blades were thicker historically, I would like some data on that like an engineering drawing. I have always wondered how thin Thin Blades were. Interesting discussion, if the right people find it.
The old three hole blades were much thicker, like posterboard thickness.
Hello, the slant was patented as early as 1914 when the standard, three hole Gillette blades (and its clones) were available.
Wildes patent claims both added rigidity and slicing action: https://www.razors.click/patents/GB191403504/GB191403504.pdf

Have to add, that I never tried it, but an original Gillette blade is so rigid that it would most likely crack in a true slant, like a FASAN.
Gillette switched from the NEW to the NEW Improved, IIRC, mostly because the razor was cracking the blades. It may have been different models of razors, but blade cracking was a very real problem for the early engineers at Gillette. Gillette Kro-Man blades are rare for precisely this reason. They had a tendency to crack, and as a result, Gillette recalled and destroyed them. Few escaped the recall, and fewer still survived the years between then and now.
Unless you have blades finished to the same specs and the only variable is the material, it’s pointless to make comparisons.

On a traditional razor the curvature of the blade is on a different axis than the cutting surface and won’t have a meaningful effect across the cutting surface. That giant cutout I’m the middle of the blade negates all the theoretical stuff anyways.

I’m not convinced that slants actual produce any meaningful changes in the rigidity of the blade. I understand the theory behind it, I don’t think it’s possible to affect said changes and still have a presentable cutting surface. But that's just an opinion, I know how to test it, but don’t have that kind of equipment.
Adding a torsion twist to the blade stiffens the blade and makes it more rigid. This is basic engineering stuff. You should not even be questioning this.

At least you admitted your beliefs are opinions, and questioning whether the blade being rigid has any meaningful bearing on the shave is a valid question.

A better question, perhaps would be, "what has the most effect on a helical slant shave, the stiffness of the blade? The curved constantly changing blade angle? The diagonal slicing motion? The combination of all three?

T
This is interesting. I just tried a Nacet in my Tatara for the first time and I found it to be an amazingly smooth and close shave without any bite or chatter found in other razors. Nodachi cap and Masamune closed base. 19 hours later and still mostly smooth.

T
This is interesting. I just tried a Nacet in my Tatara for the first time and I found it to be an amazingly smooth and close shave without any bite or chatter found in other razors. Nodachi cap and Masamune closed base. 19 hours later and still mostly smooth.
Now i need to try out the different combinations again, by working my way up to the Nodachi OC. Changing the cap adds allot more efficiency. My favorite have been the Masamune with Nodachi base plate.
The more efficient combinations have been a little to much for me for daily use. Maybe the Nacet blade can tame it a little.

The minute "Sherman" stopped talking about the quality of his morning shave and "Mr. Peabody" came out and y'all got technical with your formulas and all is the moment I threw the "English Major" card, began arranging my floppy blades in alphabetical order (as one does) and grabbed a bowl of popcorn...
:popc:

Reactions: JPO
The minute "Sherman" stopped talking about the quality of his morning shave and "Mr. Peabody" came out and y'all got technical with your formulas and all is the moment I threw the "English Major" card, began arranging my floppy blades in alphabetical order (as one does) and grabbed a bowl of popcorn...
:popc:
It is just shaving:)
If you are overthinking, at least you are thinking.

1648047101795.png

Now i need to try out the different combinations again, by working my way up to the Nodachi OC. Changing the cap adds allot more efficiency. My favorite have been the Masamune with Nodachi base plate.
The more efficient combinations have been a little to much for me for daily use. Maybe the Nacet blade can tame it a little.
I haven't tried the Nacet with the Masamune cap/Nodachi base yet. I find that combination, even with the slightly negative blade exposure to be a bit more aggressive for me with that large gap. It is just about as efficient (if not slightly more so) as the neutral Nodachi cap/Masamune base for me. I will finish with a third pass ATG and the fool's pass with the smaller gap is more comfortable, so I've tended to use the latter combo more. I guess I should try the Nacet in the larger 0.90 mm gap to see how it goes. I haven't tried the Feather in that one either.

BTW, the shave this morning was Nacet day 2, and it was even more smooth in typical Nacet fashion.

Reactions: JPO
I haven't tried the Nacet with the Masamune cap/Nodachi base yet. I find that combination, even with the slightly negative blade exposure to be a bit more aggressive for me with that large gap. It is just about as efficient (if not slightly more so) as the neutral Nodachi cap/Masamune base for me. I will finish with a third pass ATG and the fool's pass with the smaller gap is more comfortable, so I've tended to use the latter combo more. I guess I should try the Nacet in the larger 0.90 mm gap to see how it goes. I haven't tried the Feather in that one either.

BTW, the shave this morning was Nacet day 2, and it was even more smooth in typical Nacet fashion.
You need to try this combination. The more flexible Nacet blade did make a difference. My default every day option have been a full Masamune or Masamune base plate with the Nodachi cap. Now i am not so sure. The difference i really small, i think.
I tried it again today as a ATG pass after a SR shave. Works greate.

Up until a few years ago, most of my razors were Techs and Superspeeds. As I accumulated morecrazorsi n the coming years, I noticed that many of the oldest razors that were supposed to be "all that", just weren't. My Old Types did shave well with any blade I'd decided to use but they were the exception. My LC's, SC's, Goodwill and Sheratons did well, but were no better than my Techs.
On a whim I got some ultra-cheap carbon steel Treet Black Beauties. They were so-so in my Techs and 'newer' razors, but, as others had already discovered, the thicker & stiffer blades gave great shaves in older razors.

Today I grabbed an Old Type and loaded it with a Treet 'New Edge' Carbon Steel Blade. It was as close as the Black Beauty, but smoother shaving at that problem on my neck under my chin. I was impressed enough that I ordered more for further trials.

Nice thing about the Gillette Slim Adjustables is that extra 1/4 turn on the handle to further secure the blade. other blades that are just OK, shave well in the Slim Adjustable. I can count on a great shave no matter which blade I decide to use.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I think it is the TORSION aspect of slants, the stiffening and making the blade more rigid, that gives the desired effect. I never felt that the supposed "guillotine" effect of slants gave them an edge.

I find some blades feel thinner than others. Nacet vs Feather for example, the Nacet seems much more rigid and more forgiving, smoother. The Feather always seems to chatter more in razors that don't support the blade much.

For instance, the Nacet gives me a better shave in the Razorine Flatboy than a Feather.

In general the "modern" trend for razors seems to be more tight clamping of the blade. Slants with heavy torsioning of the blade achieve a similar if not superior effect.

Maybe that's indeed why they are now seemingly the next thing on the razor market. But maybe its just a fashion. Just like suddenly gaming mice cannot be light enough. Ultra lightweight mice after years of gamers adding extra weights for balance to them.

Regarding carbon steel and stainless steel, for straight razors and for blades as well the material differences seem to have more impact than for razor blades.

Carbon steel stays longer sharp than stainless steel, but can rust more easily. Also, despite being harder than stainless steel, is way easier to sharpen than stainless. I haven't had a carbon steel razor blade in years, Treet makes still some AFAIK. Not sure if similar effects can be seen on razor blades. In general modern razor blades are better, coating and all that, than classic golden age of double edge shaving blades.

I also want to point out that suggesting a non-carbon steel survival knife in an outdoor forum almost got me ritually cut by carbon steel advocates. Whatever. I am going to get one of these new "Magna Cut" steel knives next. :letterk1:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Today I grabbed an Old Type and loaded it with a Treet 'New Edge' Carbon Steel Blade. It was as close as the Black Beauty, but smoother shaving at that problem on my neck under my chin. I was impressed enough that I ordered more for further trials.
Please keep us updated, this is interesting. Treet is by now the only major and well known provider of carbon steel blades I am aware of. I had a in general rather bad impression of the stainless steel Treet blades, but maybe they are onto something with their carbon steel blades.

Top Bottom