What's new

Blade suggestions

I Have been shaving for about 6 months with DE. I have used shark stainless blades most and have experimented with a few others but most of the time has been getting my technique up to scratch before going through x number of blades.

Sharks are decent but I don't really get a close enough shave with less than about 4 passes. I would like less passes for less irritation if possible. I am not chasing bbs but would like to get a regular DFS.

I have tried and dislike derby, indian wilkinson sword and dorco. The dorco 300 gives a good shave but only once. The derby always gives me weepers and I'm not sure why, the wilkinson was just dull.

I have tried Astra (green pack) and can barely tell the difference between them and Shark. I do need to revisit these.

I get good results from a gillette 7 oclock yellow (sharpedge) on the 2nd and 3rd shaves only. The results for the first shave are exceedingly close but with a lot of irritation.

I have 3 blades in my stash to try, rapira platinum lux, voskhod and gillette nacet stainless.

I am using only a british 40's flat bottom tech at the moment. I also have a slim, a plastic handled tech, a rimei and a weishi but I'm trying to get everything right with the tech first. I'm currently using derby soap. I have used arko before and find them virtually identical in use.

I would like suggestions on any other blades that may suit me based on what I have said. I will get a small sampling of 3 or 4 types if the ones I have yet to test don't suit me. I hold high hopes for the Voskhod given how many say it is both very smooth and relatively sharp (but not too sharp).

Give Gillette Platinum Plus a try. You can get them at Walgreen's ($6.99 for nine blades, in 3 packs of 3)

Mikey

Give Gillette Platinum Plus a try. You can get them at Walgreen's ($6.99 for nine blades, in 3 packs of 3)

Mikey

Living in Australia the cost of the plane ticket to get to a Walgreen's is pretty much beyond my means at the moment.

I will however take the suggestion on board. What's the rationale behind it? Can you compare them with other blades?

A sampler is the right idea
If you like the Voskhod and Rapira Platinum Lux, type "Rapira" in your eBay search and select "All The World" - there are some very good, reasonably priced samplers from Russian sellers, Ladas, Gillette Rubie, Sputnik, Rapira Super Stainless and Rapira Swedish Supersteel are all very good blades and well worth trying. I can get 3 very good shaves per blade from any of these.
If you place a multiple order, most Russian sellers will give a substantial combined shipping discount.

My top 5 blades are : Bic Chrome Platinum, Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (India), Racer Super Class Platinum, Wilkinson Sword (Germany) and Zaza Super Stainless - I can get 4 very good, smooth and comfortable shaves from these blades, a 5th shave is possible, but I don't enjoy it, so I don't bother

Sharks are decent but I don't really get a close enough shave with less than about 4 passes. I would like less passes for less irritation if possible. I am not chasing bbs but would like to get a regular DFS.

I hold high hopes for the Voskhod given how many say it is both very smooth and relatively sharp (but not too sharp).
IMO, if you're not getting a close shave with less than 4 passes you need a sharp blade.
View attachment 686819

Living in Australia the cost of the plane ticket to get to a Walgreen's is pretty much beyond my means at the moment.
Do enter your location (Settings, My Settings, Edit Profile, Additional Information, Location) then we won't have to guess where you are. :wink2:

IMO, if you're not getting a close shave with less than 4 passes you need a sharp blade.
View attachment 686819

Do enter your location (Settings, My Settings, Edit Profile, Additional Information, Location) then we won't have to guess where you are. :wink2:

I have mentioned that I have issues with the sharpness of the 7 o'clock yellow (sharp edge). That being so, a blade that is sharper still does not sound like a logical choice. My ideal is currently the second shave of a gillette yellow. It is still sharp and smooth enough but doesn't bite as badly.

I am using only a british 40's flat bottom tech at the moment. I also have a slim, a plastic handled tech, a rimei and a weishi but I'm trying to get everything right with the tech first.
QUOTE]

:thumbup1: I think you're wise to stick with one razor. Consistency is very important. I like Treet's Rainbow and Durasharp blades; as well as lesser known Silver Star and Crown brands. They work very well for me, and IMO are worth a try. Happy hunting!

Blades are very much YMMV. Since you asked, my top 5 in no particular order:

German Wilkinson sword
GSB
Astra SP
Personna Red
Personna lab

O.K. I am going to ask in this thread, since I think would be helpful. I saw a chart that compared relative sharpness of the blades. I thought I saw it here but can't find it. Anyone know if it was on B&B, and if so can they link it

I swear I have looked in the Wiki and can't find it

I am getting a lot of suggestions without reasoning behind them.

Here is a suggestion with reason: Gillette Silver Blue blades or Gillette 7oclock black.

I hear what you're saying about wanting more smoothness and longevity with less irritation, and I think these blades are perfect for you. The GSBs in my opinion have the best combination of sharp and smooth. Feather is my favorite blade, but it can be very harsh so it's probably not what you're looking for. As your technique improves though you may find the ludicrous-sharp edge of the Feathers quite enjoyable, so be sure to try them at some point.

No matter what razor, cream, or soap I use, I seem to always get a good shave with a Gillette Silver Blue. Not only that, but the current prices are fantastic!

Blades are very much YMMV. Since you asked, my top 5 in no particular order:

German Wilkinson sword
GSB
Astra SP
Personna Red
Personna lab

I hate to say, I did not ask. I can find top 5 blade lists everywhere. I asked specific suggestions based on my current experience with the blades I have.

That being said, I really have to re-visit the Astra SP as I have only used the one and don't know if I have given them an unfair wrap. When I first used them I thought they were almost identical to the sharks that I really wasn't enjoying at the time - since then I have had more experience and do better with the sharks, I might do better, or far better, with the Astras now.

Here is a suggestion with reason: Gillette Silver Blue blades or Gillette 7oclock black.

I hear what you're saying about wanting more smoothness and longevity with less irritation, and I think these blades are perfect for you. The GSBs in my opinion have the best combination of sharp and smooth. Feather is my favorite blade, but it can be very harsh so it's probably not what you're looking for. As your technique improves though you may find the ludicrous-sharp edge of the Feathers quite enjoyable, so be sure to try them at some point.

Thank you.

I am not actually that worried about longevity. I can generally get 4 or 5 shaves out of a blade (except for Dorco) with only minor detriment to the shave on the last one, but if I get two and done with a better result I would be happy.

Based on a lot of what this thread has suggested, I think I have to go out of my way to find some GSB. They are a bit annoying as virtually every sample pack available on ebay doesn't include them.

I had been looking at polsilver and perma-sharp based on the near universal acclaim but get the feeling that they may be sharper/harsher than I would prefer. Opinions?

Try a bunch of blades and find out what works for you. Don't rule any blade out until you have actually tried it. Your results can, and will, differ from the results of the other people posting here. YMMV.

I have had really good results with: Astra SP (green package), Israeli Red Personna, and Voskhod. I have been able to get 14+ good/great shaves in a row out of a single one of each of those blades with little to no residual irritation each shave. Astra SP is my _go to_ blade because of how fantastic the shaves are with it.

Top Bottom